Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

A look at SFO T3 Progress - "As nice or nicer than T2"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2013, 8:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by tom911
Will UA have a Red Carpet Club on this side? I subscribe to the BAT blog - good way to keep up on what's happening at SFO.
I'm pretty sure a new club is being built as part of the renovation.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by edcho
What makes you say that they will redo F?
No reason to think the City wouldn't want to refresh F at some point, but I suspect Terminal 1 would be next on the refresh list. (IIRC, wasn't Boarding Area B - the so-called "UX Circle of Doom" - was originally supposed to be redone after CO vacated? My memory might be fuzzy on this point.) Terminal 1 is in desperate need of some love - at least T3 is interconnected post-security, and has an airside connector to International G. Terminal 1 is like EWR Terminal A's slightly prettier cousin.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 8:54 pm

It looks very nice. I am excited to see to finished product next year.

Before starting work on boarding area F, though, maybe they need to work on adding another runway on the 10/28 alignment (or adding spacing between the extant runways) so that fog and rain don't cause backups. I know that the political landscape in the Bay Area might mean that never happens.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 9:31 pm
21A

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.2.2; en-us; Galaxy Nexus Build/JDQ39) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Originally Posted by SFO777
Originally Posted by 21A
Can't believe they're missing the opportunity to do an airside connector between T2 and T3. I don't know how much of the day T2 gates are unused or if they are even set up for common use, but if so, a connector could allow UA to use them for peak time overflow.
Yeah, I'm sure AA and VX would let UA use those T2 gates.
Are they owned or leased?
Old Apr 29, 2013, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by 21A
Are they owned or leased?
Probably leased. If my recollection is correct, I believe that AA was given a sweetheart deal by the City to move to T2 and is ultimately supposed to move to a renovated T1, if and when.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 9:40 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sbm12
I'm pretty sure a new club is being built as part of the renovation.
Yes they will have a new club for that pier.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

With all the fancy / local food coming to T3, how much longer do you think Burger King has?

Can anybody comment on the food at the newish Anchor Brewing Company restaurant?

Probably leased. If my recollection is correct, I believe that AA was given a sweetheart deal by the City to move to T2 and is ultimately supposed to move to a renovated T1, if and when.
April 16 SFO Commission Meeting:

Award of Contract No. 9185.9
Terminal 1/Boarding Area B Redevelopment Program Management
Support Services
T1 Partners, A Joint Venture of Parsons Transporation Group, Inc., the
Allen Group, LLC, and EPC Consultants, Inc.
$4,453,178
Resolution awarding Professional Services Agreement, Contract No. 9185.9,
Terminal 1/Boarding Area B Redevelopment Program Management Support
Services, to T1 Partners, a joint venture of Parsons Transportation Group,
Inc., The Allen Group, LLC, and EPC Consultants, Inc., in an amount not to
exceed $4,453,178 for the first year of services.

This PDF gives a great overview (proposal?) of potential T1 redevelopment. Even includes a connector to the Int'l terminal (Date TBD).

Construction Management Association NorCal

http://www.cmaanorcal.org/pdfs/11291...esentation.pdf

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 29, 2013 at 10:16 pm Reason: merge
Old Apr 29, 2013, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
This PDF gives a great overview (proposal?) of potential T1 redevelopment. Even includes a connector to the Int'l terminal (Date TBD).

http://www.cmaanorcal.org/pdfs/11291...esentation.pdf
Wow, very impressive. Thanks for posting LarkSFO.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 10:18 pm
21A

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.2.2; en-us; Galaxy Nexus Build/JDQ39) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

If they're leased and set up for common use, then it seems like negotiating use by other airlines such as UA at off times wouldn't be impossible. Worth planning for the possibility, anyway, by having a connector... I wonder why this isn't planned.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 11:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond

I hope Subway and BK make it in T3. Sometimes I don't want to spend $15 or $20 for a light meal.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 11:42 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by B787938
It looks very nice. I am excited to see to finished product next year.

Before starting work on boarding area F, though, maybe they need to work on adding another runway on the 10/28 alignment (or adding spacing between the extant runways) so that fog and rain don't cause backups. I know that the political landscape in the Bay Area might mean that never happens.
The problem is the environmental offsets needed for the bay fill they would need for a new runway. Willy Brown should have pushed it through, but at this point it will be very hard sell, particularly if they in fact ever finish the high speed rail (which would remove some flights). I would love it, but think it is a very hard sell given the environmental, global warming issues and the argument that rail solves some of the issues.

In any event congress is raiding the federal airport improvement fund to pay for air traffic controllers, so no idea where the money would come from anyway.

The solution may be better GPS landing technology so that they can hit the full max take offs and landings even in bad weather. I would expect that that technology may be deployed before they could get a runway done.

LarkSFO, thanks for posting the links, very interesting.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 12:00 am

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
I hope Subway and BK make it in T3. Sometimes I don't want to spend $15 or $20 for a light meal.
Subway is in T3. Located above the ticket lobby on the 3rd level. Open 24 hrs a day, also serves beer and wine.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 1:19 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sfogate
Subway is in T3. Located above the ticket lobby on the 3rd level. Open 24 hrs a day, also serves beer and wine.
No access from airside, only access outside of security.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 7:14 am
Original Poster

If you look at aerial photo's over time, it really is amazing how much of the Bay / wetlands has been filled in over the past century...

http://www.savesfbay.org/stopping-bay-fill

"Save The Bay Halts Airport Project to Fill the Bay

In 1998, SFO reversed a decade of denials and announced it would build runways farther into San Francisco Bay by launching a $75 million public relations campaign to sell the public on the largest proposed Bay fill project since the 1960s. SFO's media blitzes and paid opposition research instead strengthened a deep regional consensus against paving over more of our Bay, which has already been shrunk by one-third.

In response to growing criticism of the project led by Save The Bay and our supporters, the San Francisco Board of Supervisors ordered a management audit of the airport by the City Budget Analyst. The audit confirmed that SFO tried to sell the runways instead of studying alternatives, ignored public input, skirted contracting regulations and let consultants and vendors gorge themselves at the trough.

After four years of intense public scrutiny and Save The Bay advocacy, and with the airport more than $4 billion in debt, SFO shelved its plans and the Board of Supervisors prohibited any further spending on runway expansion into the Bay. Finally in 2008, the San Francisco Board of Supervisors passed a resolution that no additional fill should be placed in San Francisco Bay for new or reconfigured runways at San Francisco International Airport, ending a nearly decade long battle."

Hopefully, newer / improved technology will enable additional capacity on existing runways even when weather is bad...
Old Apr 30, 2013, 10:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Yeah, I'm sure AA and VX would let UA use those T2 gates.
Could they as part of the US Merger?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.