Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Any major differences in GF cabins on 744 vs. 772 vs. 763?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2013, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott - Gold, Hilton - Gold, Global Entry,

I'm going to use miles to waitlist for an upgrade to GF on an upcoming flight about 7 weeks from now and have options to fly on any of these aircraft. Is there any appreciable difference in the hard product on any of these planes or reason I should try to choose one vs. the other?

The 744 and 772 are LHR-SFO and the 763 is LHR-IAH. Current F availability is F6 (out of 12) on the 744, F5 (out of 8) on the 772 and F3 out of 6 on the 763 (and the other 2 763s that day are F0 and F1).

Anybody have any thoughts on if I'm more likely to have a mileage upgrade clear on any of those flights with the current availability?

I'm leaning towards the 744 since I can fly the upper deck if the upgrade doesn't clear, it has the most seats available and the arrival time into SFO is better than the 772. IAH is my ultimate destination, but I like picking up the extra 7000 miles on a RT going through SFO so the 763 is my 3rd choice unless I think the likelihood of the upgrade clearing is much better or somebody tells me the hard product on the 763 is vastly superior to the others.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 9:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by XCstud
I'm leaning towards the 744 since I can fly the upper deck if the upgrade doesn't clear, it has the most seats available and the arrival time into SFO is better than the 772. IAH is my ultimate destination, but I like picking up the extra 7000 miles on a RT going through SFO so the 763 is my 3rd choice unless I think the likelihood of the upgrade clearing is much better or somebody tells me the hard product on the 763 is vastly superior to the others.
Good choice on the 744 UD. If you don't get the upgrade, that would be my first choice. I don't think there is much of a difference - if any - between the 3 GF suites. The key is what your experience will be if you don't get that UG, which should always mean that the 777 ought to be your last choice, IMHO.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Unless you want to look at minor differences such as the number of storage spaces (if memory serves, there's one less on the 747), the product is basically the same.

The 767 and 777 have smaller cabins so you might have a perception of increased privacy. Some like seat 1K because it's completely isolated.

I like your idea of picking the 747 to have the UD as a backup plan.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 2:56 pm

All of the ancient UA 777s are now upgraded, correct? I remember being stuck in that crap for "GlobalFirst" once.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by fragment54
All of the ancient UA 777s are now upgraded, correct? I remember being stuck in that crap for "GlobalFirst" once.
No. If you fly SEA-HNL or SEA-NRT, you'll get the barcalounger.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, Hyatt PLT, Marriott PLT
also HNL-GUM is the old config.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
what? the F seat is basically the same IPTE or old style.
the 'big difference' is the IFE.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 5:47 pm

There's some size differences in the shoulder area and # of storage compartments between the three (and depending on which seat). I generally prefer the first row of the 744 to see out straight ahead of the plane. Second favorite would be 1/2K on the 763 as they are completely secluded (large high wall on the left). 777 seats are fine, but no seats are particular standouts.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 7:27 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by halls120
Which SEA-HNL is that? Everything I see is standard domestic F, with a connection
Old Mar 6, 2013, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by mauiUAflyer
Which SEA-HNL is that? Everything I see is standard domestic F, with a connection
my bad. that should have been GUM-HNL.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 10:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, former DL Gold
I'm pretty sure SEA-NRT is upgraded now (or will soon be). At least the seat I got last week wasn't the old stuff, and my seat in June shows a the new F/J/Y layout as well.

EDIT: Nevermind.. just checked and looks like there are some days that still have the ancient config. UA fleet site also lists a few 777s with the old config: https://sites.google.com/site/united...fleet-tracking

Last edited by spikyone; Mar 6, 2013 at 10:53 pm
Old Apr 5, 2013, 1:12 pm

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
Which GF Bird to GRU?

If given the choice between an IPTE 777 from IAD in GF or a 763 from IAH in GF, which would you choose and why?
Old Apr 5, 2013, 1:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Search is your friend http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...l?highlight=vs
Old Apr 5, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I'd be indifferent to the cabin (though IIRC it's the right side of the 763 F cabin that's more private), and be thinking more about the connecting flight if you're coming from NYC. The thought of taking one of those often-delayed UX NYC-WAS flights would terrify me unless I booked one of those crazy 4+ hour connections. But then again, you get the LH lounge at IAD and avoid a much longer domestic F leg.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott - Gold, Hilton - Gold, Global Entry,
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
Actually I'd say search is not my friend....if you are referring to FT's built in search functionality, but thanks for posting the link. I can never find anything I need using the search, but occasionally I have luck searching on google and finding a pertinent thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.