Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Removing of already-posted bonus miles from "Map of Dreams” offer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2012, 6:29 pm
Company Representative, United Airlines
Original Poster

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to give you a quick heads up that, although some of you have seen miles post from our “Map of Dreams” offer, we accidentally began crediting these a bit earlier than planned and have subsequently found that many did not post correctly. To fix this, later tonight, we will be removing any bonus miles that were credited and will re-qualify all customers after the promotion completes on July 15th. We will post the correct number of bonus miles by July 28. This update process will only impact bonus miles that are part of the offer. It will not affect base miles, PQM and PQS.

Shannon
Old Jul 12, 2012, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA, SPG, Hilton, Mrt., PC, Hertz
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to give you a quick heads up that, although some of you have seen miles post from our “Map of Dreams” offer, we accidentally began crediting these a bit earlier than planned and have subsequently found that many did not post correctly. To fix this, later tonight, we will be removing any bonus miles that were credited and will re-qualify all customers after the promotion completes on July 15th. We will post the correct number of bonus miles by July 28. This update process will only impact bonus miles that are part of the offer. It will not affect base miles, PQM and PQS.

Shannon
Thanks so much for the notice and for someone paying attention. Hopefully they will all post correctly on July 15th.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi Everyone,

Shannon
I guess "Map of Dreams" = "Explore the World"?

So, it seems this means those of us who got miles we did not deserve (e.g. ticketing date, 5/10/10 instead of 5/5/15...) will see the miles pulled tonight and not return 7/28?

Oh well, I guess easy come, easy go. I wonder what happens to people who have already used the miles....or transfer miles before they do the pulling

Thanks.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
This really is a wake up call and teaches everyone on FT a lesson not to have any open discussion on any thread on FT! :-)

Hi Everyone,

Shannon
Old Jul 12, 2012, 7:20 pm

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by username

So, it seems this means those of us who got miles we did not deserve (e.g. ticketing date, 5/10/10 instead of 5/5/15...) will see the miles pulled tonight and not return 7/28?

Thanks.
Think of this as a goodwill gesture. As Judge Smails said, "I've sentenced boys younger than you to the gas chamber. I didn't want to do it. Thought I owed it to them."
Old Jul 12, 2012, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott Tit
Funny. I just might have booked that 4th RT if I thought I needed it.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had my 4 but 1 or 2 was outside the ticketing date. So, I will probably "lose" 15,000 miles which I should not have gotten in the first place.

I might have changed my travel plan a little to make sure I qualify for 4 under the published rule. However, at these high fares and relative little gain (15,000 miles is not a lot), I would not have done extra trips to qualify.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by SFOTerry
Funny. I just might have booked that 4th RT if I thought I needed it.
I wonder why they have to wait until this very last moment to make such announcement. They would be able to get more people to get on their plane if they were to announce it sooner, wouldn't they?
Old Jul 12, 2012, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PP, Virgin Elevate, Evergreen Club, KrisFlyer
Originally Posted by username

Oh well, I guess easy come, easy go. I wonder what happens to people who have already used the miles....or transfer miles before they do the pulling

Thanks.
Username, I think the qualification is
(from http://www.unitedmapyourdreams.com/)
Ticketing period: 04/15/12 through 07/15/12.
Travel period: 04/15/12 through 07/15/12, excluding 07/03/12-07/05/12.
So 5/10/12 is ok.
I just checked my account balance and truely 15,000 miles were removed. So I guess I have to wait for my 25k on 7/28
Old Jul 12, 2012, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Hi Everyone,

Shannon
Absolutely ridiculous.

So let me get this straight, you STILL cannot correctly post flights, actual flights, from April (I'm still waiting), but you can get your crack team of programmers working to REMOVE miles from customers accounts.

Ever heard the concept of a goodwill gesture? It might be about that time.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by Oliver9
Username, I think the qualification is
(from http://www.unitedmapyourdreams.com/)
Ticketing period: 04/15/12 through 07/15/12.
Travel period: 04/15/12 through 07/15/12, excluding 07/03/12-07/05/12.
So 5/10/12 is ok.
I just checked my account balance and truely 15,000 miles were removed. So I guess I have to wait for my 25k on 7/28
Wow, so it has already happened?! Do you have a new activity line with today's date stamp on your activities page with a negative -15000 mile entry?

It is not bad if you are going to get 25k back for loosing 15K :-)
Old Jul 12, 2012, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lax2010
Wow, so it has already happened?! Do you have a new activity line with today's date stamp on your activities page with a negative -15000 mile entry?

It is not bad if you are going to get 25k back for loosing 15K :-)
Nope. It's just gone without a trace. Total bush-league. If you didn't know your balance, you'd never know they were gone. Until AwardWallet tells you this week that you lost 5K/10K/etc.

Shannon, this is pathetic, and I think you know it.

So here's my story --

My folks got the 1/2/4 offer.

My folks had a trip booked before the booking window. They flew it, and immediately got the 5K bonus. Didn't expect it, but hey, assumed it was a goodwill gesture to compensate for this disaster of a merger. At that point, I think that any reasonable person would assume that perhaps UA had granted an exception to the ticketing window, like PMUA had done about a dozen times in the past 5 years!

They had another trip that they needed to fly within the window, so we booked it. 2 down.

At that point, it made a lot of sense to add two quick little cheap trips to max out the bonus. These were pure 'bonus runs'.

But now, COdbaUA comes back and says, 'sorry suckers, we made a mistake, and now, 4 days from the end of the promo period, we've decided to enforce the rules.'

Shannon, do you see how ridiculous this is? I don't dispute your right to enforce the rules at all. But you cannot decide to enforce the rules 4 days from the end of the promo, after you've already set a precedent for the past 2.5 months! People have made decisions based on your past errors. I bet a lot of people don't even know when they ticketed some of these trips!

This is yet another example of Lucy pulling the football away just as Charlie Brown comes up to kick it. Sorry suckers.

Face it, your IT systems are pretty bad. I hope that you reconsider how bush-league this is, and decide to go ahead and earn a modicum of goodwill by reinstating the miles you deducted, such that people who flew 4 trips within the window and get the 25k bonus.

Last edited by hobo13; Jul 12, 2012 at 8:49 pm Reason: merge
Old Jul 12, 2012, 8:50 pm
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Gee, thanks United. One more reason to not fly on your airline.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 9:02 pm

Programs: RVT 1K
So that is where the miles went....of all the things that need work this seems kinda trivial...not cool.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Hi Everyone,

Shannon
Wow! So a return of UA Insider, to inform us that they will be removing miles from accounts. When will UA credit the miles that are STILL missing? Several calls and still cant get them!

UA Insider, when will UA fix issues like seat assignment changes, split PNRs that caused my 2 year old to be slit from me? I would like some answers. Still cant get them. Thats it for me!

This will teach everyone that UA has spies on thia board and dont dont post anything that goes your way!

So please everyone, when you get a little extra dont come on this board, they are watching.

UA another bad bad move. Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.