Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

has anyone ever gotten anything back from UA lost and found at ORD?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2012, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.

mr kk left his android phone in the rcc--er, united club--by the f gates on tuesday night. i called UA wednesday morning to try to locate the phone. of course the numbers to the rcc aren't available but the agent i spoke with said the person at the club she spoke with said the phone would have been 'turned in to baggage claim.'

she gave me a number to call, which led nowhere. i tried another number, given by another agent, and apparently the ONLY way to POSSIBLY track down a lost item is to fill out a claim online. of course we did that, but...i'm not holding out much hope he'll ever get the phone back.

i'm curious if this system has actually worked for anyone, and how long it took. i suspect someone found the phone, and turned it in...if that's the case, when might we hear something? (i'm thinking never.)

additionally, i wanna vent: part of the reason i pay for a club membership is for a slightly higher level of service, and i'd like to think that they would have held the phone for 24 hours before putting it into the vast wasteland that is ORD UA lost and found, but...whatever.

Last edited by karenkay; Apr 12, 2012 at 6:49 pm Reason: snip
Old Apr 12, 2012, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA General member
Two years ago I left an item in the low B gates area. Called lost baggage number at ORD and got a call back the next day saying they'd found it. They fedexed it to me (at my expense).
Old Apr 12, 2012, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by karenkay
additionally, i wanna vent: part of the reason i pay for a club membership is for a slightly higher level of service, and i'd like to think that they would have held the phone for 24 hours before putting it into the vast wasteland that is ORD UA lost and found, but...whatever.
Really? Venting over this?

What if - I dunno - it never got to lost and found because another person took it?
Old Apr 12, 2012, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Yes. A jacket I got at a conference fell off my roller bag when walking through ORD. I didn't care about the jacket but it had my Sony MDR-NC33 noise cancelling earbuds in a pocket. Also luckily one of my business cards. It unexpectedly arrived in the mail one day, erbuds intact.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by u600213
Yes. A jacket I got at a conference fell off my roller bag when walking through ORD. I didn't care about the jacket but it had my Sony MDR-NC33 noise cancelling earbuds in a pocket. Also luckily one of my business cards. It unexpectedly arrived in the mail one day, erbuds intact.
Did they call you to let you know they had it, or just ship it?
Old Apr 13, 2012, 5:55 am

No. I lost a laptop cable/charging bag which were left on a seat when they upgraded me (in a bit of a rush) to another flight. They had my tag and name on them, but when I remembered to tell the flight attendant before we left the gate, she said they'd send it to security. No luck. I tried tracking it down for weeks.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 6:07 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by Viridian
No. I lost a laptop cable/charging bag which were left on a seat when they upgraded me (in a bit of a rush) to another flight. They had my tag and name on them, but when I remembered to tell the flight attendant before we left the gate, she said they'd send it to security. No luck. I tried tracking it down for weeks.
They shouldn't have given it to security, they should have given it to UA lost and found. Security can't do much with just a name, UA with a name and a flight number sure can, especially if one files a claim with contact info and a description of the article along with a location where it was left. By the way, other than saying they would send it to security, did the flight attendant tell you that they had found it, or just that "if" they found it, they would send it to security?
Old Apr 13, 2012, 6:08 am

Programs: UA 1K
See if they have the house key I lost on a flight a couple of years ago.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 6:44 am

Programs: *G
nope. they reallly really dont care.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 6:50 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by karenkay
mr kk left his android phone in the rcc--er, united club--by the f gates on tuesday night. i called UA wednesday morning to try to locate the phone. of course the numbers to the rcc aren't available but the agent i spoke with said the person at the club she spoke with said the phone would have been 'turned in to baggage claim.'

she gave me a number to call, which led nowhere. i tried another number, given by another agent, and apparently the ONLY way to POSSIBLY track down a lost item is to fill out a claim online. of course we did that, but...i'm not holding out much hope he'll ever get the phone back.

i'm curious if this system has actually worked for anyone, and how long it took. i suspect someone found the phone, and turned it in...if that's the case, when might we hear something? (i'm thinking never.)

Good luck finding your phone.

Did you try going to the Android store (now called Google Play) online and downloading "Plan B": https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...out.labs.planb

Assuming the device is still on and connected to the mobile network, you can remotely install the app and it will turn on the GPS and start emailing you its real time GPS coordinates to your associated Gmail account.

Also, for future reference BEFORE you lose a phone, you should install an app called "Where's my droid" that lets you text pre-set phrases to your android phone from any other phone to get the phone to relay its GPS coordinates, turn the ringer on, display a message on the screen and remotely wipe the device.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...yandroid&hl=en

EDIT: I think Where's my Droid can also be installed remotely, so you should try that as well.

Last edited by petesamprs; Apr 13, 2012 at 6:58 am
Old Apr 13, 2012, 6:53 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
I disagree, I think they do try to get things back to you.

Earlier this year I received an iPad I lost a few weeks earlier on a flight in the mail. It just showed up in a little box out of the blue. I had my name on the inside of the cover.

It sounds like the problems come when the items do not have identifying information on them. It seems like it’s a lot more difficult to match lost & found descriptions from pax with items especially if they have a number of the same item. I imagine the problem only gets worse when there is private data involved (laptop, iAnything).
Old Apr 13, 2012, 7:04 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by Viridian
Somwhat similar experience. Except I did get my laptop back. It was waiting for me at baggage claim.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 7:10 am

Yes. Left my noise-canceling headphones on a plane, got them back by Fedex (my expense) within a couple of weeks.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 7:48 am

Programs: UA Gold, OZ silver,
Originally Posted by palefire
Yes. Left my noise-canceling headphones on a plane, got them back by Fedex (my expense) within a couple of weeks.
I left my Bose headphone on the plane (LIH-LAX) in February. I went online and submitted my lost article form. Still haven't heard anything. Is there any other places I should check or call? I won't be flying through LAX anytime soon.

I have been trying to find a phone number to talk to a real person at UA lost baggage in LAX.

Glad you got your headphones back!

(I did have my business card on the inside of the case)

Last edited by 767400; Apr 13, 2012 at 8:27 am
Old Apr 13, 2012, 8:10 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
I actually had 2 experiences with loosing the same item (my Kindle) at ORD last December. The first time a mechanic servicing the plane found it and emailed me and at HIS expense mailed it back to me. He wouldn't give me any details on how to reimburse him.

The second time it was turned in to the lost and found and they contacted me. I was able to pick it up at the Baggage Claim service center a couple days later when I was back at the airport.

I think if they do find an item AND can figure out who it belongs to then they will track you down. Both of those are big if's when it comes to electronics unfortunately.

Good Luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.