Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Intl Y->C buy-up at ticketing post integration

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2012, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MP Premier Gold (Life), Hyatt Explorer, Various other hotel FS pgms

I am looking for a comparable buy-up for Economy class international fares scheme that was available on the PMUA web site.

With apologies to 1Ks and GSs, I used this when I or my friends had no more SWU's left.

For example, in the old system, when I purchased a discounted (V or higher) economy ticket and there was NC inventory available, after the on-line ticket purchase I would be given the opportunity to purchase a confirmed upgrade to Business Class (which change my ticket into Z fare). This was usually a better deal than using miles+copay, or waiting until getting to the gate to see if there were C seats for sale. Also, on the PMUA site, I could not often find Z fares (or they were much more expensive than the buy-up option).

I often purchase months in advance, and I am looking to purchase seats for Christmas 2012, returning Jan 2013.

Is there a system like this in place post-integration and what fare bucket availability should I look for? I have already read the "Decoding Fare Buckets on the New United" threads, so I think I should look at RN availability. I am hoping for more definitive answers here. Thanks.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 3:23 pm

Programs: CO Platinum / BA Gold
As far as I know, in the new system paid upgrades to Z require Z inventory.

If you want to check this out you can always buy a ticket and then use the 24 hour refund if no discounted upgrade is available.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 4:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
I believe this is the thread that answers your questions http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...inventory.html
Old Mar 9, 2012, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MP Premier Gold (Life), Hyatt Explorer, Various other hotel FS pgms
Originally Posted by rruaco
As far as I know, in the new system paid upgrades to Z require Z inventory.

If you want to check this out you can always buy a ticket and then use the 24 hour refund if no discounted upgrade is available.
I realize that this option is available, but it could be a hassle. I'd rather hear from someone who has had the experience. I figure someone has been presented with buy-up opportunities, and taken them -- or have they? It's been almost a week now ...

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
I believe this is the thread that answers your questions http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...inventory.html
UAPremExecflyer, thank you for this. I have been watching and I had already printed this post as well as detailed threads on new fare buckets. But it is not definitely clear to me which inventory will be available at ticketing for cash buy-up or even if this option is available.

The closest I could see for an elite is buy a real Y fare and get an automatic upgrade. This might work for domestic, but I am not sure it works for International. I could try this, but I'd rather learn from others' experiences.

I see someone else asked the exact same question I posed to start this thread (post #45 in that thread), but the answer posted in response was the first post in the same thread. For me it implies, "Here is the info, go figure it out," and to me the answer is not clear. Sorry to be so dense.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 9, 2012 at 9:33 pm Reason: merge
Old Mar 10, 2012, 3:32 am

YBM elite upgrades only work on domestic flights (and possibly other CPU eligible flights like HKG - SIN but I'm not sure about that).
Old Mar 10, 2012, 7:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

RN is the equivalent of the old NC, but I do not think that there is a set policy of when or how they will necessarily offer upgrades for cash in advance. Theoretically they upgrade into Z inventory if you pay the full fare difference from your ticket to Z, but that won't necessarily always be available.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Originally Posted by stanscan
I am looking for a comparable buy-up for Economy class international fares scheme that was available on the PMUA web site.

With apologies to 1Ks and GSs, I used this when I or my friends had no more SWU's left.

For example, in the old system, when I purchased a discounted (V or higher) economy ticket and there was NC inventory available, after the on-line ticket purchase I would be given the opportunity to purchase a confirmed upgrade to Business Class (which change my ticket into Z fare). This was usually a better deal than using miles+copay, or waiting until getting to the gate to see if there were C seats for sale. Also, on the PMUA site, I could not often find Z fares (or they were much more expensive than the buy-up option).

I often purchase months in advance, and I am looking to purchase seats for Christmas 2012, returning Jan 2013.

Is there a system like this in place post-integration and what fare bucket availability should I look for? I have already read the "Decoding Fare Buckets on the New United" threads, so I think I should look at RN availability. I am hoping for more definitive answers here. Thanks.
They still offer a buy-up to business class for cash as they have in the past. I do not know which fare class it gets upgraded to. Whether you will earn miles on your original fare purchased or the "upgraded" business class will determine which fare class it ends up in (i.e. Z or R).
Old Mar 11, 2012, 6:18 am

Programs: UAL MM, BA G
If one is lucky enough to see availability, how does one book the correct fare? I cannot find the equivalent from pmua that let me choose the type of ticket (eg upgrade able with swu region 2 etc.) Do I have to phone?
Old Mar 11, 2012, 6:38 am

No, use the advanced search on UA.com and select fare class W (for SWU eligible tickets).
Old Mar 11, 2012, 8:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by rruaco
No, use the advanced search on UA.com and select fare class W (for SWU eligible tickets).
If you want all SWUable fare you need to put Y, B, M, E, U, H, Q, V, W in the box, not just W.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 9:41 am

Programs: UAL MM, BA G
Originally Posted by sbm12
If you want all SWUable fare you need to put Y, B, M, E, U, H, Q, V, W in the box, not just W.
Thanks - I stupidly tried R in that box. Change is hard.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 12:53 pm

Quite right, I should have said 'cheapest SWUable tickets'.

In my opinion if you are going to buy a full fare Y ticket (or anything close to it) then you may as well go for discounted business and use your SWUs another time.

My opinions would be different if I wasn't so flexible about when I could travel, of course.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 1:48 pm

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Good to know. I wonder if they can/will make it possible that we can search for SWUable without having to remember all the fare classes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.