Wiki Posts
Search

Waitlisted 2 Person Itin W/ NF1

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2009, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, National Executive
Waitlisted 2 Person Itin W/ NF1

There were a few similar threads I found, but none really answered the question of which pax would actually get confirmed if I have two non status pax on one PNR, with two CR-1s applied, waitlisted and NF1. If I split, who gets the seat?
Old Feb 16, 2009, 1:40 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Whichever one you want...just tell the agent when you call to split.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Alright, thanks.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 1:44 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by UAX_Brasilia
There were a few similar threads I found, but none really answered the question of which pax would actually get confirmed if I have two non status pax on one PNR, with two CR-1s applied, waitlisted and NF1. If I split, who gets the seat?
You could try it(before split) and see what happens and add another data point to the FT knowledge base. If they are both GM and you split the PNRs then I would imagine whoever you upgrade first will get the seat. (I guess as long as there is really NF availability, it doesn't matter what status the pax are) But FT wisdom arguably says that if a GM and 1K are both on waitlist sponsored by that 1K, that the sponsor will always clear before the sponsoree, regardless of time added to the waitlist.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

The CR-1s were already applied and they have both cleared for the long IAD-LAX flight. I am working with BDL-IAD where it is (supposedly) NF1. Yours truly booked himself on his own PNR, and I have already cleared BDL-IAD and IAD-LAX.

So, BDL-IAD is NF1 and I have two GMs waitlisted on the same PNR, and want to maximise the chance that all three of us get upgraded on both flights, and figure taking two seats in F right now is the way to do it. It just boils down to who would get it.

Also, splitting the PNR won't screw up the already cleared flight, i.e, I wont have to apply the upgrade again, right?
Old Feb 16, 2009, 1:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Also, splitting the PNR won't screw up the already cleared flight, i.e, I wont have to apply the upgrade again, right?
Splitting the PNRs should have no effect on existing upgrades.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG
Originally Posted by Ripper3785
You could try it(before split) and see what happens and add another data point to the FT knowledge base. If they are both GM and you split the PNRs then I would imagine whoever you upgrade first will get the seat. (I guess as long as there is really NF availability, it doesn't matter what status the pax are) But FT wisdom arguably says that if a GM and 1K are both on waitlist sponsored by that 1K, that the sponsor will always clear before the sponsoree, regardless of time added to the waitlist.
NO NO! If you REALLY want to add to the FT knowledge base, do the following, BEFORE you split the PNR:

1) Call and confirm that there is NF1.
2) Buy a BDL-IAD ticket on somebody else's account.
3) Apply a CR1 (from someone other than you, ideally), and see if it clears!

If it does, then we know that people can get jumped over. If not, we know it clears FIFO, and multiperson PNRs "clog up" the queue! If the latter, then most of our concerns about splitting PNRs could be put to rest! This would be very, very helpful!

After you do this, cancel the itinerary due to the 24-hour grace period. The CR1 will return and, ideally, so will the NF1 spot. If not, it's just a UX puddle jumper anyways, right?!
Old Feb 16, 2009, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

UA761 on 06 June 2009 if anyone wants to try
Old Feb 16, 2009, 2:22 pm

UA761 on 06 June 2009 if anyone wants to try
Stand by.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by fadeforward
Stand by.
OOOH, i'm waiting with baited breath. ^
Old Feb 16, 2009, 2:30 pm

Great thread! And thanks fadeforward if you're attempting that right now. I'm in a similar situation (although a bit different). I'm flying Thursday ALB-ORD-LAS. ORD-LAS is Ted of course (RAR!) so no U/G there. I'm travelling with my partner who has only been in First on a CR7 (we haven't travelled all that far together and this was the only U/G-able flight we've been on). So this Thursday, the ALB-ORD segment is showing NF1. He has no status, I'm 1P. I called today to split the reservation to give him the F seat. Of course the agent (actually 2) blabber on about how they can do that, but then he's not entitled to an E+ seat on the rest of the flights, but that she can call inventory or some-other-place to get him back in E+ for the rest "but it's a pain". OK, whatever. It's a short no-service flight, but I really want to get him into F.

If I knew that they'd hold the 1 NF seat for me waiting for the 2nd, I'd be a lot happier. Is that what you all are talking about here?
Old Feb 16, 2009, 2:33 pm

Results: Multiperson PNRs get SKIPPED when they straddle upgrade clearance!

I have in front of me a confirmed upgrade, NF, BDL-IAD, Saturday, June 6, UA761. I had called previously to confirm that one and only one confirmable upgrade spot was indeed available on this flight. The flight now shows NF0.

What can we conclude from this? Two GMs were waitlisted on the PA list, sponsored by CR1s, with NF1 confirmed. A 1K comes in and applies his own confirmable upgrade (in this case, 15K miles), and the upgrade confirms immediately, skipping over the two waitlisted GMs.

The conventional wisdom on FT seems to have held out! UAX_Brasilia, thank you for your cooperation in this experiment. I now hope that, after I cancel this itinerary in the next 5 minutes, your NF1 returns in due time to your assumedly soon-to-be-split itinerary for your friends!

Originally Posted by chrislacey
If I knew that they'd hold the 1 NF seat for me waiting for the 2nd, I'd be a lot happier. Is that what you all are talking about here?
Yes, that's exactly what we're talking about, and the answer appears to be, no, they won't hold the NF1 for you. If another single upgrader comes along, the seat will go to that upgrader.

EDIT: And here's the real kicker! I have canceled my itinerary (the 15K miles redeposited immediately), and, UAX_Brasilia, the flight is showing NF1 again! I am surprised that the upgrade availability popped right back up again! The perfect FT experiment: No one's upgrades were threatened

Last edited by fadeforward; Feb 16, 2009 at 2:42 pm
Old Feb 16, 2009, 2:40 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by fadeforward
I have in front of me a confirmed upgrade, NF, BDL-IAD, Saturday, June 6, UA761. I had called previously to confirm that one and only one confirmable upgrade spot was indeed available on this flight. The flight now shows NF0.

What can we conclude from this? Two GMs were waitlisted on the PA list, sponsored by CR1s, with NF1 confirmed. A 1K comes in and applies his own confirmable upgrade (in this case, 15K miles), and the upgrade confirms immediately, skipping over the two waitlisted GMs.

The conventional wisdom on FT seems to have held out! UAX_Brasilia, thank you for your cooperation in this experiment. I now hope that, after I cancel this itinerary in the next 5 minutes, your NF1 returns in due time to your assumedly soon-to-be-split itinerary for your friends!
Thanks! I love the scientific method!

Now, if only we could figure out whether the same rules apply for waitlisted award seats. Has anyone every booked 2 people on the same award PNR, with 1 person in F and the other in C or Y?
Old Feb 16, 2009, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Awesome fadeforward. This may deserve its own thread! ^

Also, the flight seemed to have returned to F7 NF1. ^
Old Feb 16, 2009, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
fadeforward, you, sir (or ma'am) are a rock star. thanks for playing our game! ^

but...wait...that just proves what we all thought to be true, right? as a 1k, fadeforward should have trumped a couple of gm's on the list...now i'm confused. had the people on the list been 1k's, that would have been a real test!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.