Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on the Airbus A320 [Archived Posts]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on the Airbus A320 [Archived Posts]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2003, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA *G MM

I am running out of 500 milers and have to decide between UGing a flight on a 757 outbound BWI-DEN vs. 320 inbound. I grabbed the bulkhead on the 320 and read about the version with a cutout that Seatguru says is better than F class.

I rarely fly 320s. Does anyone with more experience have any idea of the probability of getting the version with E++ bulkhead seats?
Old Mar 23, 2003, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, BA Gold, Hyatt LT Globalist, Bonvoy LTE, IHG Diam, HH Gold, Amtrak Sel Exec
I was wondering about this the other day. I frequently fly the 320 PHL-ORD-PHL and I'm not sure I've seen one without the cutout in the bulkhead (if you mean the one in Row 6).

Frankly I'd probably do the upgrade based on the meal service, since F is no great shakes in either plane. See if one of the flights is a full meal flight (vs. a snack) in F and go for that one.
Old Mar 23, 2003, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kv99:

Frankly I'd probably do the upgrade based on the meal service, since F is no great shakes in either plane. See if one of the flights is a full meal flight (vs. a snack) in F and go for that one.
</font>
Both are around dinner time (5 and 6 pm). My experience has been Chef's salad or "Deli Plate" on IAD-DEN.

I think you have a point though, because I have a very tight connection to the 320 and may not be able to grab any food in DEN.

OK, a call confirms that the 320 has "dinner" whereas the 5 pm flight has a snack. It's changed because through end of Dec I was getting "dinner" on UA 963 at 5 pm.

Is there anywhere online where I can check F class meals (like on US Air)?
Old Mar 24, 2003, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
BWI-DEN in F on the A320 will be Deli Plate or Chef's Salad (I do this route once a month, on average).

All A320s and A319s I have flown Y on in the past few months have the cutouts at the bottom of the dividing bulkhead in front of Row 6. I believe UA installed new bulkheads when they reconfigured the planes.

Seatguru.com says that the reconfig increased legroom in Row 1 by a large margin (I'd say an extra 4-6 inches, easy, based on my own experiences) by taking it away from Row 6 (which is why they put in the cutouts so you can stick your feet under Row 3 - though legroom to the bulkhead is still generous thanks to the "sloped" nature of the lower bulkhead.
Old Mar 24, 2003, 8:44 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SEA_Tigger:
BWI-DEN in F on the A320 will be Deli Plate or Chef's Salad (I do this route once a month, on average).</font>
The 320 flight is at 18:20 DEN-BWI and lists as "Dinner" in F according UA reservations.
This wouldn't still be the "Chef's Salad" deal?

BWI-DEN is a Snack at 17:10. This is the latest flight from BWI to DEN, so I suspect this avoids any hassle with dinner catering from BWI.

Old Apr 13, 2003, 11:12 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
F seats on A320

My regular flight LAX to Miami has gone from a 777 to a 767 to a 757 to an A320 over the last few months. Tomorrow is my first flight on an A320.

Seat-guru shows that of the 3 rows in F, one is yellow (row 3, limited recline) and 1/2 of the first row is red (no foot cutout).

I didn't like 1B the last time I was in it.

My questions are:
Seatgure mentions they are changing seats in the A320 in F. Anyone sit in 3C with full recline?

Seat-guru shows 11D as one of the best seats (exit row, full recline). Comments on 3C vs. 11D?
Old Apr 13, 2003, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by beachfan:
Seat-guru shows 11D as one of the best seats (exit row, full recline). Comments on 3C vs. 11D?</font>
For me, I'll take 3C.

Now F on an A320 is nothing special. But I'll take it over C on a 762 any day. And for that matter I prefer the cozy cabin over the 757.

I flew in 3A, PDX-ORD, about a week and a half back and didn't mind it one bit. But then I'm not much of a recliner anyway. I lean back a little but not all the way.

The driver for me in terms of F versus exit row in Y is seat width. I find that to be just as important as pitch, if not more so.

The wider seat, plus the separate arm rest, means that I'm not squished into the personal space of someone else.

It's having someone next to me in Y that makes a trip stressful, tiring, and cramped for me. But that's a very personal thing and YMMV.

------------------
View from the Wing: A blog about Free Miles and Free Markets
Old Apr 13, 2003, 11:31 am

Location: DL: PM/2M; UA: 1K; AA: Plat/2MM; SQ: PPS; US: Plat; Starwood: Plat; Hilton: Diam Hyatt: Diam; Loews Plat; Avis: Chair.
I used to fly that to and from my connections to South America. Not anymore, Delat through Atlanta gets you international airplanes to both LAX and SAN all the way though on the return now.
Old Apr 13, 2003, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I prefer a row 2 over a row 3 simply for the fact that they often swap an A319 (2 rows First) for an originally scheduled A320 (3 rows First). And if that happens I don't want to be the one to have to end up begging.
Old Apr 13, 2003, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by beachfan:
Tomorrow is my first flight on an A320. Comments on 3C vs. 11D?</font>
If I fly First on an A320 or A319, I book 1B as I use a laptop and if I am in Row 2 or 3 and the person in front of me reclines, my laptop screen will not clear the seat.

On the reconfigured planes, the front legroom is as good as Row 1 on the two-class 777s - some 44" or more. On non-config planes, the cutout makes it 40" which does help (I am 6' 2").

Row 11 on the A320 is very nice. Legroom is a good 40" or so. If you get swapped with an A319, that drops to 35". I prefer Row 6 for the same reason as Row 1 - laptop use. Also, Row 6 has over 35" thanks to the cutouts below the First Class bulkhead.
Old Apr 13, 2003, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SEA_Tigger:
If I fly First on an A320 or A319, I book 1B as I use a laptop and if I am in Row 2 or 3 and the person in front of me reclines, my laptop screen will not clear the seat.

On the reconfigured planes, the front legroom is as good as Row 1 on the two-class 777s - some 44" or more. On non-config planes, the cutout makes it 40" which does help (I am 6' 2").

Row 11 on the A320 is very nice. Legroom is a good 40" or so. If you get swapped with an A319, that drops to 35". I prefer Row 6 for the same reason as Row 1 - laptop use. Also, Row 6 has over 35" thanks to the cutouts below the First Class bulkhead.
</font>
Thanks. Laptop use is a priority for me too.
Old Apr 21, 2004, 12:40 pm

Programs: DL Gold, HH Gold
A320 Question

Can you easily view the in-flight movie screen from seats 1AB? I'm fairly new to UA, having come over only recently from DL Hell and having not yet flown an A320. My wife loves to watch the flick, so she'll be an unhappy camper (and so will I as a consequence) if we upgrade to those seats (only open) and can't comfortably see the film. Thanks in advance.

lexman
Old Apr 21, 2004, 12:45 pm

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
1B is my favorite seat on A319 and I can view the movie fine (though this month's selections ain't much IMHO). You need to look up a bit, but it's not a strain. I think A320 is the same.
Old Apr 21, 2004, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K since 1998 & 3 Million Miler & ex-GS; DL Diamond 2015-2022; BAEC Silver; Bonvoy LT Titanium
1C is usually my seat on UA 205 IAD-SFO, departing post 9pm. In 1C, the light from the galley does not bother you, as it does in 1B. If you're on a day flight, then you have no galley light to worry about.
Old Apr 21, 2004, 1:14 pm

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by tealeaf99
1C is usually my seat on UA 205 IAD-SFO, departing post 9pm. In 1C, the light from the galley does not bother you, as it does in 1B. If you're on a day flight, then you have no galley light to worry about.
I avoid 1C and 1D in case of a rare switch to A321 where that side doesn't have cutout for your feet.

I'm usually on 5:50 PM IAD-SJC and light doesn't bother me, but then I don't typically sleep on this flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.