Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Upgrade Waitlist Clearance on UA" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Upgrade Waitlist Clearance on UA" Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2007, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold 1MM
Upgrade order after status and fare paid

I've done a few searches, but haven't yet found the order upgrades clear after status and class of fare paid. If I'm 1P and traveling with another 1P and both of us paid the same fare, assuming only one upgrade left, how will United determine who gets it?
Old May 29, 2007, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Whoever checks in first
Old May 29, 2007, 11:11 am

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by fumitani
Whoever checks in first
And if they're on the same PNR and check in simultaneously?
Old May 29, 2007, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by PVDProf
And if they're on the same PNR and check in simultaneously?
Coin flip. Unless I'm the GA working the gate, in which case it depends on which of the 2 females are more attractive.

Best, Dave
Old May 29, 2007, 11:14 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
If there is only 1 upgrade left I would expect that the system will skip the group of two with same status, fare, and check in time and go down the list to the first single traveller.

But I'm not totally sure about that.
Old May 29, 2007, 11:17 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If that situation were to actually arise, the GA would most likely ask the 2-passenger party which traveler to upgrade or if s/he should go to the next passenger on the UGDG list.

If the flight is tight on time getting out, the GA may just skip right to the next name.
Old May 29, 2007, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold 1MM
The situation I described would be two 1Ps, both traveling on same fares, not necessarily traveling together (separate PNRs, will check in at different times)

Sounds like first one to check in gets it if it comes down to the airport, but wondering what order we'd clear within 72 hour window before flight.

Last edited by lsbuffs; May 29, 2007 at 11:45 am Reason: clarify post
Old Dec 21, 2009, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Exclamation Consolidated "Upgrade Waitlist Clearance on UA" Thread

Today, when I called the 1K desk to split a PNR to improve upgrade chances, I was told two things:

(1) Upgrades on the PA list are processed by status, then by position on the waitlist. So all 1Ks will go first, then 1Ps, then 2Ps, then 3Ps, then general members. A person sponsored by a 1K will fall within his/her individual status level; i.e., it makes no difference that he/she was sponsored by a 1K. This seems questionable to me and, as earlier posts suggest, CSRs may be confusing the PA and PB waitlists (though the person with whom I spoke today adamantly denied that she was doing so).

(2) Splitting a single PNR does not affect your position on the waitlist, subject to #1. If two people on the same PNR are 1Ks, both will retain their original positions on the waitlist once the PNR is split. If one person is 1K and the other is 3P, the 1K will retain his/her original position and the 3P will fall behind all other 1Ks, 1Ps, and 2Ps. If #1 isn't true, then both people will retain their original positions.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 2:14 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Upgrade clearing is now by status.

I recently used my SWUs for my friend, a general member, first then myself (1K). 5 of my 6 segments are confirmed. Only 2 of his 6 segments are confirmed so far.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 1:33 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
Originally Posted by mattinsf
Today, when I called the 1K desk to split a PNR to improve upgrade chances, I was told two things:

(1) Upgrades on the PA list are processed by status, then by position on the waitlist. So all 1Ks will go first, then 1Ps, then 2Ps, then 3Ps, then general members. A person sponsored by a 1K will fall within his/her individual status level; i.e., it makes no difference that he/she was sponsored by a 1K. ....
I (a 1K MM) sponsored 2 friends with SWUs that have same routing and fare basis. One is a 1K and the other a 3P. I sponsored the 3P first thinking that that would clear before the 1K. I figured the 1K would clear later based on his own status. Yesterday the 1K cleared but the 3P did not. I spoke to the 1K desk and that person talked to MP. I was told that 1K cleared based on his status, not mine (the sponsor).

This seems to confirm other recent reports that the sponsor's status in not relevant.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by gfowler-ord-1k
I (a 1K MM) sponsored 2 friends with SWUs that have same routing and fare basis. One is a 1K and the other a 3P. I sponsored the 3P first thinking that that would clear before the 1K. I figured the 1K would clear later based on his own status. Yesterday the 1K cleared but the 3P did not. I spoke to the 1K desk and that person talked to MP. I was told that 1K cleared based on his status, not mine (the sponsor).

This seems to confirm other recent reports that the sponsor's status in not relevant.
Also confirms that the list isn't sorted FIFO, but by status of the passenger.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 2:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
While this may have been posted for awhile, I notice a few week ago the following which is posted in the united.com descriptions of each upgrade type
Upgrade clearance times and waitlists
Upgrades are processed according to your Mileage Plus status.

Upgrades will be confirmed if seats are available at time of request, otherwise, you will be placed on a waitlist. You can check the status of your request in My Itineraries.

If upgrade space becomes available, requests will be prioritized by Mileage Plus status, original booking class purchased, and by time of request in a tiebreaker situation.
the above or its equivalent is in SWU, CR1, miles and e500s
Old Jan 2, 2010, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AGR SE, SPG Platinum, HH Gold, MR Gold
In a Nov flight, I experienced the following:

PAX #1
- 1P
- used sponsored SWU
- UG requested a month+ before flight

PAX #2
- used own SWU
- UG requested 2 wks before flight

PAX #2 is NOT the sponsor for PAX #1.

PAX #2 cleared 24 hrs out, PAX #1 cleared at the gate.

Don't think it goes to DM a full 24 hrs out, so seems to support that PA list is prioritized by own status. If it's FIFO, PAX #1 should have cleared first.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1MM
I just talked to a 1K res agent about my position on the UG waitlist relative to Mrs. Modern 49er. We are both 1K, both using CR-1s, both same fare class, but different PNRs. She said that "sometimes" in addition to status, the number of miles flown (this year? last year?) impacts the waitlist sorting. I'm not sure if this refers to EQMs, BIS, or some other measure. She didn't have a lot of confidence in saying this.

Anyone ever heard of this as a factor?
Old Jan 5, 2010, 2:32 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Modern 49er
I just talked to a 1K res agent about my position on the UG waitlist relative to Mrs. Modern 49er. We are both 1K, both using CR-1s, both same fare class, but different PNRs. She said that "sometimes" in addition to status, the number of miles flown (this year? last year?) impacts the waitlist sorting. I'm not sure if this refers to EQMs, BIS, or some other measure. She didn't have a lot of confidence in saying this.

Anyone ever heard of this as a factor?
Yes, from the occasional GA over the years, but I don't believe it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.