Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Skywest to test Buy on Board (BOB) BOTH F and Y must pay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2010, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Something lifetime here and there

Skywest will be offering United snack boxes from the BOB program. An Organic BOB will be offered on these selected flights for test until May 7th.

o MCI-SFO-MCI
o SAT-SFO-SAT
o SLC-ORD-SLC

1) $7.00 cash only
2) Both F and Y MUST PAY - so, if you are in F, either pay for the choice meal or continue to eat the "lovely" F snack box they provide for free.

Last edited by goingbananas; Mar 30, 2010 at 2:11 pm
Old Mar 30, 2010, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
While I would never buy them, I think that this is a good idea, and a step in the right direction. BTW, when is Express going to accept credit cards?
Old Mar 30, 2010, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
While I would never buy them, I think that this is a good idea, and a step in the right direction. BTW, when is Express going to accept credit cards?
Agree it is a step in the right direction. Hand-helds for Skywest to accept credit cards is being worked on. Hopefully, will roll out in the next few months.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Its a step in the right direction, but I don't agree to charging F passengers for a BOB.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Its a step in the right direction, but I don't agree to charging F passengers for a BOB.
Agreed...I would expect a lot of letters being written to UA on this during the test period for these routes.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 2:06 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by goingbananas
Agreed...I would expect a lot of letters being written to UA on this during the test period for these routes.
Hmmm, I wonder if you know of anyone at UX to whom to express your opinions...

Old Mar 30, 2010, 2:10 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Think of it like this. F passengers get to check some luggage for free, but if they choose to check 6 items, they pay. OO is going to offer the exact same free box to F passengers, but if one chooses to have a product for which their ticket doesn't entitle to, then they pay.

What is being lost? Nothing has been given up, only additional choices. Every ticket has upper limitations on what is given. A F RTW fare has mileage limitations. Ask to have something above the limitations, expect to pay, accept what comes along with the packaged bundle, and don't pay extra.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Hmmm, I wonder if you know of anyone at UX to whom to express your opinions...

All over it already!!

I think a Mainline UA complaints need to be done as well. Get them from both ends.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 2:15 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fastair
Think of it like this. F passengers get to check some luggage for free, but if they choose to check 6 items, they pay. OO is going to offer the exact same free box to F passengers, but if one chooses to have a product for which their ticket doesn't entitle to, then they pay.

What is being lost? Nothing has been given up, only additional choices. Every ticket has upper limitations on what is given. A F RTW fare has mileage limitations. Ask to have something above the limitations, expect to pay, accept what comes along with the packaged bundle, and don't pay extra.
No, think of it like this: If I pay an arm and a leg for a ticket, please keep YOUR hand out of my pocket for minor expenses thereafter.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE

But if I choose COS-DEN-ORD I get a meal(depending on the time of day). If I choose COS-ORD I get the snack thing. While COS-ORD isn't part of the test, I don't see how one can compare this as a plus. I can see a situation that a passenger chooses a UX flight over mainline for scheduling reasons, only to find out that even in F you still get to pull out your cash.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 2:19 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
But if I choose COS-DEN-ORD I get a meal(depending on the time of day). If I choose COS-ORD I get the snack thing. While COS-ORD isn't part of the test, I don't see how one can compare this as a plus. I can see a situation that a passenger chooses a UX flight over mainline for scheduling reasons, only to find out that even in F you still get to pull out your cash.
But per the OP, you don't have to pay. You still get the box you got the last time you took this route for free. If you want one of the additional offerings then you pay.

"2) Both F and Y MUST PAY - so, if you are in F, either pay for the choice meal or continue to eat the "lovely" F snack box they provide for free."
Old Mar 30, 2010, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Well, on the Delta side with OO, First class gets a meal...a hot one at that. Complimentary. Y pax pay for the EATS program.

Liquor and EATS Pricing
Liquor and Wine $7.00
Beer $5.00
Pringles, Trail Mix,
and Chips & Salsa $3.00
M&M’s $2.00
Travel Treats and
Flight Delights $5.00

So, they make it where the F product is not inferior to the Y product and its complimentary if F...they way it should be.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by goingbananas
Well, on the Delta side with OO, First class gets a meal...a hot one at that. Complimentary. Y pax pay for the EATS program.

Ahh, UA/DL comparisons. Do we need to compare every part of the (2) airlines for advantages or disadvantages? There are trade offs to what airline one chooses. Service, location, price, equipment, FF program, food. To isolate one and say "Well, DL does this" Guess what, DL may, but I can easily respond that "UA does this".

I'd rather not go off on a "which airline better suits my needs" in a thread about BoB on OO. That discussion belongs in another thread where all of the merits and failures can be weighed.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 2:26 pm

But per the OP, you don't have to pay. You still get the box you got the last time you took this route for free. If you want one of the additional offerings then you pay.

"2) Both F and Y MUST PAY - so, if you are in F, either pay for the choice meal orcontinue to eat the "lovely" F snack box they provide for free."

And this is why I almost never fly COS-ORD. You are correct that this is an improvement, but to sell UX flights under the UA brand and then ask a person in F to pull out their wallet....

The F class experience on UX is so crappy to begin with that a better meal offering should be free compared to mainline. Either way UX doesn't compare.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA PP, Hilton/MR Gold

One would suggest a reasonable solution would be to offer F pax their chocie of either the snack box or the fresh item gratis.

I love BoB; I think quality BoB is a great replacement for complimentary meals in coach. It allows me, the primarily business traveler, to purchase meals (and expense them) when I would like to eat and not worry about bringing something on the plane, and it allows UA to keep prices low for the comparison-shoppping leisure traveler. That being said, I also like flying in First, and if you are flying in domestic first, I think it is very important for the complimentary food/drink options to meet or exceed that available in coach for $$, no matter how long the flight is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.