Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

The 2010 “Who, When, Where, What and How” thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2010 “Who, When, Where, What and How” thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2009, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Post The 2010 “Who, When, Where, What and How” thread

Here is the fourth annual “Who, When, Where, What and How” thread. If you are new to FT, here is the drill:

We have been having this thread for the last three years for FTers on United Forum to share travel stories, how status were obtained during the year, flying pattern, why they travel, places flown to etc. It is also a place for newcomer to introduce themselves in the Forum, and old timers to share their travel pattern in the past 12 months. Most important of all, tell us the status achieved for next year and travel projection for the upcoming year.

Lot’s of interesting events happened in 2009 that may have impacted our flying with United:

2 Double EQM Promotions / Triple EQM Promotions^
New year-end EliteChoice Bonus ^
Elimination and restoration of CR-1s /^
Economy continues to be weak in 2009

The links to the 2007, 2008 and 2009 threads are listed below. It is interesting to go back and reflect on what had changed in our travel patterns over the past 3-4 years.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ferrerid=19989

Here we go:

Who: What do you do when you are not on FT? Anything you want to tell FTers about you.
When: When will (did) you make your desired 2010 status?
How: This is a broad category. Include any information on whether you travel for work, personal reasons, MRs, double/triple EQM, M+ Visa EQMs, UA flying, *A flying, $$$ spent to achieve status, how your travel pattern has changed in 2009 from previous years.
Where: Places you have been this year (on your way to your 2010 status).
Why:Why is achieving status/accumulating miles important (or not important) to you? Why do you do Mileage Runs, etc.?
What: What’s your plan to achieve 2011 status, and where will you go? What will be changed in 2010 versus 2009.

Happy Holidays and Safe Travel Everyone!!
Old Dec 11, 2009, 7:31 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Who: I think I'm on FT 24/7.... I'm an enterprise IT systems admin in the government. I enjoy scotch and listening to Steely Dan (must happen together).
When: Mid-november, 1P
How: Took a new job, moved from CLE to IAD. Did over 150k of domestic 2 years back on CO for previous job. New job will have much less travel but much better pay! :-P I'm in Denver at least 5 times a year, other random trips to LAX, SFO, SEA, ORD, MIA and NYC have also occured. I only got status because of doing MR's, which I'll continue to do next year to get to 1K. I'd like to go INTL at least twice next year. I participated in the second DEQM promo and that shot me to 1P. Total United got from me this year was in the neighborhood of $7500. All work travel is fully-refundable Y.
Where: As mentioned above... PDX, LAX, SFO, SAN, PHX, LAS, DEN, ORD, MIA, MCO, LGA, CLE, CAK, CMH.
Why: It just feels good to know I'm a little above the normal traveler. (read: I like feeling important). I love flying, aircraft, travel, the whole experience.
What: A full year's worth of full-fare Y travel for work should get me to 1P and then MR's will make up the rest to get to 1K. I'll also be getting a M+ Visa with EQM's.

Can't wait to see everyone else's posts!
Old Dec 11, 2009, 7:54 am

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Who: I'm a daily lurker but rarely post. ORD based (formerly EWR) and am in process of moving from CO to UA.
When: 85% of 2009 travel was personal and mostly ORD-EWR, so no status. This is getting turned around very quickly for 2010 as business travel is picking up significantly. My goal is 1P for next year.
Where: Again, no 2010 status, but 09 saw me in BOS, BDL, SEA, BOI, CUN, CLT, AUS, MSY, BUF.
Why: I'm about to find out why status may matter. I've long been envious of people on this board and have learnerd a ton from browsing through. I'd be happy with status if just for E+ and some 500 certs. Looking forward to seeing what status can do for me.
What: 2011 status will be achieved by work travel, mostly to the east coast. Not sure if it'll be segment based or mileage based, it depends on my personal travel. I'm not someone who is ready to go ORD-IAD-BOS when i can just go ORD-BOS, or so I say, let's see where I'm at segment/mileage wise in November. Planned personal trips for 2010 are ABQ, PHX, ANC, and other ones always pop up.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 8:45 am

Programs: UA1K MM, LH Senator, HH Plat, Priority Club Gold, UA RCC, Global Entry
Who: I usually check in on FT daily just to see if there is anything interesting that I can take advantage of.
When: Hit 2P in January, 1P in March (before the DEQM), hit 1K in June (without the help of the DEQM), and hit 1.5K in August.
How: Mainly travel for work as I own a consulting business. Spent about $50K on economy tickets. Used my SWU’s up by March so it was to the back of the bus for the rest of the year.
Where: ORD,SAN,LAX,SFO,NRT,HKG,SIN,BKK,PVG,PEK,FRA,MUC,CD G,LHR,BOM
WHY: Status, upgrades, using the red carpet at the gate, lounge access. Surprisingly, did not do any mileage runs this year.
What: Plan on hitting 1K again. No change in travel plans, most likely it will increase. Hopefully, after 7 straight years as a 1K, someone at United takes sympathy on me and invites me to GS.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 8:52 am

Who: Buyer for a telecommunications company until our site closes down sometime next year. Gadget freak and I need to sleep more.
When: Early November, 1P. Will be ~6k short of 1K but due to the above reason I won't be doing any MRs to make up the difference. Although if I had planned my travel better in the beginning of the year...
How: Mainly travel for work, though did some award travel and other vacations. This has been a high year for my travels, being gone for about 70+ days (including vacation travel) via flying. No MRs, but did participate in both DEQM promos.
Where: PEK x3, HKG, NRT, ICN, SHA, Tianjin, SFO, LGA, SAL, MGA, MKE, VPS, ARN x2, ORD (en route), IAD (en route), DCA (en route), BUF. Award travel: SEA and SAL
Why: Skipping the lines is my #1. I travel exclusively on the lowest fare possible so upgrades are few and far between. Had good success rate burning E500s lately though, trying to use them up before UDU. Status makes travelling smoother, but mainly I travel in order to travel - status is just a bonus.
What: At this point I have no idea, it could be anything. As I said my job-site is closing down and my priority will be finding something that pays the bills.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 10:56 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.14 MM ALASKA MVPG
Who: Biological scientist at National Lab. Two small kids and an very tired wife.
When: Late November, 1K.
How: Almost exclusive work travel, two personal trips with the family. Travel ~20 times for 0-3 nights at a time. Mean ~2 (usually one a plane). Fare are 50% government V with a 15% government Y and the rest varying economy.
Where: SFO to IADx10, LHRx2, BOSx2, LAX, PHX, SEA (family), PHL, ORD (family), YVR, DEN
Why: I'm big, 6'1" 270 so I hate sitting in coach. hate coach middles and windows even more. Use miles for family travels. I have to travel at least 60 or 70K so hitting 1K is worth it. I also only take rollerboards so making sure there is overhead space is key. I'm almost always on non-stops so IRROPS don't cause me much pain. And priority standby usually is a waste because there are no aisles at that point.
What: 1K again. Travel already lined up for SFO to IADx5-10, LHR, MAD, MEL (first time ever to Australia), BNE (second time to AUS).
Old Dec 11, 2009, 11:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS/1K MM, Delta Plat, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold
Who: I am fortunate to have the opportunity at a very successful Seattle-based software company (even though I live near Denver) to lead a team of global architects who help our worldwide field organization pursue and deliver large, complex, risky, high-impact projects.

When: I've been a 1K for several years, and made GS in November - a very pleasant surprise

How: I'm based in Denver, but our kids joke that I work at the airport - not sure that it's a good thing though. In previous years I'd make 1k based on mostly domestic segments, but have been doing much more international travel in the last few years. Because of the number of trips, work pays for business, hence my guess as to making GS for this year. EQM for 2009 was 188K - previously this hovered between 115K-135K. I'm just shy of MM status - 970K BIS

Where: Singapore, Hong Kong, Sydney, Seoul, London, Frankfurt, Rome, Messina, Athens, Ephaesus Turkey, Seattle (lots ), Tampa, NYC, Aruba, Panama, Cartagena,

Why: Convenience comes with status. UAL is my business partner (the great people get me to and from my business), and the recognition is part of the balancing act my business partner and I play every year.

What: More trips in for my wife & family using awards. Business travel shouldn't change too much...

Last edited by kents; Dec 11, 2009 at 12:02 pm
Old Dec 11, 2009, 11:38 am

Programs: Free Agent
Who: I'm a Master's Student at KTH and moved to Sweden from Seattle back in August. My field is urban and regional planning, and I get along well with transport nerds.

When: I will likely be bumping back down to 2P next year , most likely in July or August, depending on DEQM and any fares I find on *A.

How: Started with a return from YYZ to SEA, then cashed in my ThY points while the gettin' was good and ended up with a business ticket from Indianapolis to Bismark to the tune of $1,800. Traded that in for SEA-KIX for $430, made $400 on mechanical delays during that trip, MR to SEA-BOS during DEQM, SEA-MKE to visit friends, and then SEA-NRT to make 1P. It's been a good year. I seem to be averaging about 20k to 25k per year now, which is low by FT standards. I think when I add it up, I'm actually made money traveling this year based on just the airfare.

Where: On *A: YYZ, KIX, NRT, MKE, BOS (MR). Other Airlines (): HNL, KEF, ARN 2010 Redemptions: ARN-DXB on LH/OS. Current Itins: SEA via FRA

Why: Status is nice. I'm really sad that I'll be back to lowly 2P status next year. Also, I save up miles to make travel possible for myself and others. At times for very very good friends, I'll make my miles available to them to get a steal of a deal (they pay the base $0.01 value for the mile, plus taxes/fees). Other times I use them for myself.

What: I'm based in ARN, which means unfortunately I'm not going to be flying *A as much. The alternatives are just so much less expensive and I don't get my 100% bonus on most of the flights here. That said, my goal is to maintain at least 2P on UA and visit a whole lotta places here in Europe: Paris, Nice, Munich (again), Edinburgh, Dublin, Istanbul, Venice, Helsinki, Tallin, Longyearbyn if I can swing it, possibly back to the mideast to see my friend in DXB plus maybe somewhere else in the region. I'll be happy with half of that.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 11:42 am

Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HGP Diamond, Avis First
Who: I'm a daily lurker and this ranks as my first post. I work in the aviation industry related to cabin products (‘nuff said on that ). I’m based in SoCal (ONT, LAX, SNA, in that order of preference).

When: I’ve traveled extensively since the late 90’s, but a job change in 2006 kept me home bound for the better part of 3 years (giving me enough time to lose all status). A job change in April this year changed that and I had 85K BIS from April to end of October. All travel has been business related. Unfortunately, the beginning portion of that travel was on OWA airlines. When I was screwed out of ~15K miles to my AA account due to the policies of the “allied” airlines, I was status matched to UA 2P by my companies travel office. 36K BIS on UA and DEQM allowed me to reach 1P by the end of Oct. I’ve not been allowed to travel in Nov and Dec with the birth of my 3rd child around T-giving.

Where: HKG, XMN, SEA, LHR, HAM, CDG, CMN, SFO, DXB, IST, FRA, ATL, MCO, IAD, ZRH

Why: I dislike crowds, so status means lounge access and boarding first. And my wife would apply sharp objects to me if I was ever to do an MR.

What: I’ll be back in the air around the end of Jan, and I expect to have 125-150K BIS this year.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 11:45 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Who - I'm a plaintiff's employment lawyer, baseball and law blogger and community college instructor. I'm a big aviation fan generally.

When - Made 1K for the first time on a same-day e-fare LAX-DEN-ASE-DEN-LAX in June. Aspen is a really nice town.

How - I travel a little for work, but not enough to gain any appreciable status. Most of my travel is personal and involves visiting various friends in far flung places. Well, at least far-ish from LAX. Did a lot of European weekends this year, as they are more attractive than Vegas weekends. I definitely took advantage of DEQM, especially the first one, and I truly became a mileage runner for the first time this year. Before, I'd set up my regular trips for the most mileage for the price, as opposed to flying for the sake of flying. I also have the MP Visa and all that goes along with it, but it has never really been my primary card. I use my AMEX a lot. I flew almost exclusively UA/UAX this year, with a single BRU-FRA flight on Lufty and a single IAH-MSY leg on CO (pre-STAR) being the exceptions.

Where - LAX (base), BUR (base), MSY, BUF (to Canada), IAD (through), ORD (through), DEN (through), IAD, SFO, GVA, BRU, FRA, LHR, TPA, IAH, ATL, MCI

Why - Should be pretty obvious. I love flying and I want a modicum of guaranteed comfort. I also happen to love Channel 9, which keeps me with UA along with E+ and my home of LAX. I love the upgrades and all the perks that come along with being an elite of any sort, especially a 1K, because it really comes in handy in IRROPS (both the Airline's IRROPS and my own sometimes). I also have always truly enjoyed the whole airport experience, but I know how terrible that has become for non-elites and don't want to ruin it. And flying places for "free" is hardly off-putting.

What - I hope for more DEQM, so my trips abroad can keep counting for more. I will likely be doing more flying this year due to a change in general life condition, and may even commute part time between SW Ontario and LAX. Lots of BUF and YYZ if that is the case.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz Gold, SPG
Who: Software engineer living in Palo Alto, California. My main airport is SFO. I love biking (bought one of my bikes and my wife's bike at Mike Jacoubowsky's shop, incidentally). I enjoy beer and homebrewing, and usually check a bag, even on weekend trips, so I can bring back beer.

When: Made 1k today!

How: Just two business trips (Austin and Pittsburgh). Two big family trips (Cruise out of of San Juan with my family, family reunion in Greece with my wife's family). Lots of trips to Maine and Boston to visit my grandfather - he was given 12 months to live 24 months ago. I'm enjoying every day I can spend with him. Things aligned nicely to travel during the second EQM period. When I realized I was about 5k miles short of hitting 1k, I booked a ticket to visit him again. That's the only real mileage running I did. Only three flights off United this year - I was on LH.

Where: Boston / Maine 6 times. San Juan once. Athens once. Pittsburgh once. Austin once. San Diego once. DC for the inauguration (award ticket). Lihue (Kauai) once.

Why: I fly to see family. I added in an extra trip to hit 1K due to UDU and wanting SWUs for a trip to Europe next year, but don't really mileage run. I'm hoping to eventually do a startup, so a stockpile of miles is a nice side effect - I'll be able to maintain my flying life for about a year (yeah, no upgrades) once I decide to stop getting a regular paycheck.

What: I sincerely doubt I'll fly 100k EQM in 2010. And that's OK! I'll enjoy it while it lasts. Planning a leisure trip with the wife (a Premier Exec) for late spring.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.94MM, Marriott Titanium
Who: Planetary scientist at a NASA center. Just discovered FT about two months ago.

When: 2P in early September, 1P in early December (both are my first status on any airline).

How: Mostly work. Finally committed to UA instead of cheapest available (was trying to save research grant money!). Used first MR (LAX-IAD-LAX) to get 1P. Didn't know about spring DEQM so missed out on a LAX-LHR-LAX.

Where: UA: LAX (home), SFOx3, PHX, IAD, SJU, LHRx2. Non-UA: IAH, MSP, MCO.

Why: Tasted C/F for the first time last week. Must... get... more... upgrades...

What: I hope to get 1K next year with several trips planned for Q1: PHX, HNLx2, IAH, FRA. I'll probably need a few "creative" MRs to stand a chance.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 12:58 pm

Programs: United: 1K-iron, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Who: I am a consultant for a large firm who tries to find the best way possible to merge business and leisure travel together.
When: 1P in May, 1K in November
How: First time as 1K primarily due to the DEQS this fall. With DEQS I will top 125 segments, so I would have been close without it. I figure that DEQS saved me from taking connections between BDL/ORD instead of the direct flights. I travel Monday/Thursday to my client site and see this continuing through 2010.
Where: Based out of ORD. Weekly trips primarily to OMA, DEN, BDL.
Why: The real question here is why not? I love FT and helping to educate my coworkers on how to gain and use status. Also, as a bigger person, 6'4" 270 lbs, I abhor non E+ and middle seats in general. My status give me the exit rows that I crave and the early boarding to deal with the masses!
What: I plan to continue my business travel and begin to use some of my miles to explore the world. Trip to Egypt and Germany is already planned for '10.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, National Exec Elite
Who: Consultant for a document imaging company based near PHL and IND.

When: I made 1P on a segment run in early November. Was not able to make 1K b/c business travel is down tremendously this year as is my MR budget (only worked 4 months in 2009 ).

How: I obtained status mostly on short East Coast segments, about 1/3 on US.

Where: IND, ALB, PHL, BWI, DEN, ORD, JAX, MCO, TPA, IAD, SFO, DTW, CMH, IAH, BUF, LGA

Why: I like my status mainly so I can get on the plane first and secure overhead space. I really like Red Carpet boarding and will miss it very much next year. The occasional upgrade doesn't hurt either.

What: I've taken a new job and the plan is for travel to increase tremendously by Summer. I also intend to go to BKK once or twice to visit my wife's family. So next year I will re-qualify on EQMs. With a DEQM promotion or 2, I should get back into 1K land once again.

What will be changed in 2010 versus 2009: I'll be 1P rather than 1K for the first time in 3 years. I'm sure I'll accidentally board on the Red Carpet a couple times out of habit. With UDU I don't expect to be in First too often, but at least I'll still have *Gold for when I travel internationally.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 1:30 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Who: I manage communications, marketing, and planning for a small, family-owned hospitality group. I'm enjoying the Bay Area good life (we have infrastructure and social problems here, but this is still an amazing place to live). My SO and I enjoy exotic cuisines, street fairs, and long walks on the beach with her coworker's dog who we frequently sit. Like nevansm, I'm a huge Steely Dan fan! We were fortunate enough to see them at Masonic Auditorium back in October (my second show of theirs). When I'm not flying UA or riding BART to and from SFO, I'm riding Amtrak (and evangelizing about trains in general) as often as possible.

When: Just made 1K for the first time on Tuesday. Without DEQM and a few MRs, I probably would have been 2P as in certain years past.

How: I travel for work and personal reasons each about once a month, sometimes more frequently. My travels picked way up in 2009 versus 2008, after switching jobs and moving coasts (back to my native land). I spent $1,100 on four MRs to get me to 1K. I had a grand total of one *A trip, on AC, and that was a reward ticket. I had periodic non-*A trips on VX, two on WN (shudder), and one on AA.

Where: I fly almost exclusively out of SFO (departed OAK and SJC once each this year). Frequent destinations include LAX, MCI, STL, ORD, and IAD, with frequent transiting through DEN. Other UA stations this year have included ATL, BOS, CWA, HNL, JAX, LAN, LAS, SAN, SAV, and YYZ. Zero overseas travel this year, alas, but it's been an adventure nonetheless.

Why: I'm a transportation fanatic, so I'm almost always excited to be churning through the gears of our transportation system. I also love to travel in general. On both counts, having status enables me to feel emboldened to make plans. It's nice to know that, 99% of the time, I'll have an above-average experience thanks to elite perks (this also makes work travel much nicer). The one experience of my SO and I both getting opped-up in both directions to/from HNL illustrated how worthwhile the loyalty is, especially as a lowly 2P at the time! Call me a fanboy, but UA still appears to be a great basket in which to put one's status eggs if given a choice. I'm glad to live near a UA hub!

What: Since most of my trips are mid-con or short-haul, I always have to be creative in my routings to maximize mileage (going after segments is both brutal and, in my case, mercifully hopeless). 2010 will likely see more of the usual LAX/MCI/STL/ORD/IAD trips, and I'm crossing my fingers hard for more DEQM. I'm also aspiring to take at least two vacations off the continent, hopefully to EZE and AMS. HKG and SGN are also high on my list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.