Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Heavy Stop on Taxi at IAD UA722 ORD to IAD 24th September

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2009, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BMI

My wife and I were on our way back to the UK on this flight via Washington.

During taxi to the terminal the plan stopped very sharply, this caused items to be thrown around the cabin along with making passengers quite uncomfortable.

We were sitting in first class and were wearing the lap and shoulder belts, the heavy stop resulted in my wife sustaining some damage to her neck which is getting somewhat worse.

I wondered if anyone has any idea what happened to cause the plane to brake so heavily, as there was no explanation or apology from the flight deck or crew?

We reported the incident in the lounge at IAD and on the United website and we are now awaiting a response.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I've had planes stop quite short due to improper baggage and other vehicles not yielding properly to aircraft.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 9:22 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this discussion in the UA Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Sep 27, 2009, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
You're asking us to speculate as to why your plane stopped suddenly? Why?
Old Sep 27, 2009, 10:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Charlville
We were sitting in first class and were wearing the lap and shoulder belts, the heavy stop resulted in my wife sustaining some damage to her neck which is getting somewhat worse.
That's why people are supposed to be in their seats during an active taxi. I'd rather have the plan stop hard & abruptly than have it crash into stuff like this one did:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcLo_...om=PL&index=72
Old Sep 27, 2009, 11:45 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K
Supposedly something similar happened on the SFO-FRA UA900 flight today. Had friend of a friend who reported - plane was taking off, then suddenly aircraft started wobbling.

Pilot aborted take off and slammed the breaks.
Apparently that caused a number of tires to explode (? not verified) but the plane was taken back to the gate (without AAA tow truck).

No explanation was provided and I am yet to hear about what options were offered as they were connecting to FCO.

Anyone knows more details?

Last edited by boggs; Sep 27, 2009 at 11:56 pm Reason: flight #
Old Sep 28, 2009, 12:07 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by boggs
Supposedly something similar happened on the SFO-FRA UA900 flight today. Had friend of a friend who reported - plane was taking off, then suddenly aircraft started wobbling.

Pilot aborted take off and slammed the breaks.
Apparently that caused a number of tires to explode (? not verified) but the plane was taken back to the gate (without AAA tow truck).

No explanation was provided and I am yet to hear about what options were offered as they were connecting to FCO.

Anyone knows more details?
UA900 eventually departed around 7:30pm, just after UA926.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 5:19 am

Programs: ExPlAAt; United 1K
question

Originally Posted by Charlville
We ... were wearing the lap and shoulder belts, the heavy stop resulted in my wife sustaining some damage to her neck which is getting somewhat worse.
Were you part of the flight crew or something? Otherwise, how were you wearing shoulder belts?
Old Sep 28, 2009, 5:53 am
Original Member

Programs: UA MM Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by jackonferry
Were you part of the flight crew or something? Otherwise, how were you wearing shoulder belts?
The new first class seats have a shoulder strap in addition to the lap belt.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FightingIlliniUAL
You're asking us to speculate as to why your plane stopped suddenly? Why?
I'm not asking anyone to speculate, just asking if anyone actually knows?
Old Sep 28, 2009, 1:54 pm

Can you tell us what items were thrown about the cabin? Wonder why they were not secured?
Old Sep 28, 2009, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skylady
Can you tell us what items were thrown about the cabin? Wonder why they were not secured?
The usual things that people have on their laps at this point, mobile phones, purses etc.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by boggs
Supposedly something similar happened on the SFO-FRA UA900 flight today.
From avherald.com :

A United Airlines Boeing 747-400, registration N175UA performing flight UA-900 from San Francisco,CA (USA) to Frankfurt/Main (Germany), rejected takeoff from San Francisco's runway 28R at high speed after a nose wheel tyre burst just before the crossing point with runway 01R/19L leaving debris on runway 28R across both runways 01/19. The airplane stopped safely, fire trucks were called out to monitor the hot brakes. The airplane was subsequently towed to the apron.

All runways except 28L had to be temporarily closed until tyre debris could be cleared (prompting an unknown pilot to ask "Have a good day?"), several aircraft had to go around, multiple departures were delayed. Runway 01R reopened 8 minutes, 01L 13 minutes after the rejected takeoff.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 6:16 pm

My guess is they had to stop suddenly to avoid something, truck, plane, mobile lounge, don't really know. Better to stop suddenly than hit something and cause millions in damage.

Thus why passengers are told to keep strapped in until at the gate and the SB sign is turned off. Since aircraft taxi at 20 mph or less usually, even braking pretty hard really isn't a hard stop per se, not like you would have in a car.

AD
Old Sep 28, 2009, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
This is a good example of why you need to keep that seat belt on during taxiing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.