Wiki Posts
Search

Purser Ruined My flight!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2009, 8:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AA EXP, WN A-List, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
I had a lousy flight a few weeks ago courtesy of "Natalie."

I wrote to UA, and they sent a $350 e-cert. She really epitomized everything that's wrong with UA.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 9:38 am

I love when purser's refer to themselves by their last names. Creates a wonderful air of subservience and defines their haughty, surly attitude for the rest of the flight.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 10:24 am

Programs: Hilton diamond, UA 1P
Wink

I think anybody who gets that fruitplate should get some sort of refund.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-LEP,United-1K Again!, USAIR-CHRMN, MW Plat Prem, SW-Gold, Hilton-Silver, Hertz-Platnium
Originally Posted by why fly
WOW you didnt get your meal choice and we got a thread on it.
It actually had NOTHING to do with not getting my meal choice and had everything to do with the poor service, lack of communication, and outright lies from Mr. XXX. I would have simply accepted, 'I forgot' or whatever the truth was, but I was told I didn't receive something because I was low man on the totem pole, when in reality I wasn't. I am a VERY good natured person and try to find humor in almost every situation. My seat mate and I laughed it off. He said the same thing, the omelet was probably lukewarm and awful

I actually purposely called him the pursuer, but I didn't make the 'fruitful' joke on purpose

PS, I am not a complainer. I fly weekly and routinely have light or seat arm audio issues but have NEVER asked for anything. I did once chew out a gate agent in Fresno for saying he was 'to busy' to re-schedule 3 passengers because the flight was delayed 3 hours and we missed out connection. He said 'I'll let SFO deal with it'. His laziness caused me to miss my Honolulu flight by 10 minutes, literally, and a couple to miss their flight to Paris, causing them to actually lose a whole day.

Last edited by l etoile; Sep 24, 2009 at 1:00 pm Reason: name deleted per TOS
Old Sep 23, 2009, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by GoingAway
btw - you are supposed to be allowed to get a snackbox in lieu of your meal, make sure you mention the attitude and that you were charged for it
95% of the time when UA fails to load my veg meal (which is about 98% of the time) I am charged for a snack box. I used to bother to write which sometimes netted me a coupon or miles back, but now I don't bother.

The 'Ask an FA' thread confirmed that there should be no charge.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 10:56 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by calitequilasippergirl
It actually had NOTHING to do with not getting my meal choice and had everything to do with the poor service, lack of communication, and outright lies from Mr. XXX...
I think that's the key issue, and don't forget to mention in your pithy letter that when you asked about BOB from Y you were told you'd have to pay for it. We often tell the FA that we're flexible about meals, and any time they've taken us up on that they've always taken the time to return to let us know, sometimes even asking if we're sure it's okay.

Accepting you at your word ("I am not a complainer") and presuming you didn't confront the employee rudely, I think this experience is worth a letter of complaint. Your "first class" experience SFO-HNL was really marred if not ruined by all this.

Cheers,
Fredd

Last edited by l etoile; Sep 24, 2009 at 1:00 pm Reason: name deleted per TOS
Old Sep 23, 2009, 10:59 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Mybutthurts
I think anybody who gets that fruitplate should get some sort of refund.
Yeah... It still amazes me that what other airlines serve as an appetizer or accompaniment, UA serves as an main course. SFO-HNL is not exactly a short flight...
Old Sep 23, 2009, 11:20 am

Programs: Recovering after 7 years of UA 1K, Still UA Silver (Which means nothing), Marriott Lifetime Plat Pre
I had a similar situation on a PS JFK-SFO a while back. I was a 1K on upgrade to NC. There was an FA I have seen several times before on other flights, who was always generally rude.

She started at the front and when she got to me, sadly in 10D, asked if I want an omelet or pancakes. I asked for the Omelet. Later a different FA brought my meal, and gave me the pancakes. I told her I had asked for the omelet and she apologized and went back to the galley.

Suddenly, the rude FA came running back to my seat and said that I didn't order an omelet, I ordered pancakes. My seatmate intervened and said, "Actually he did order the omelet." The rude FA repeated that I did not and said they are now out of omelets and I can't have one, and put the pancaked back on my plate.

Then she brought an omelet to my seatmate. I saw her bring at least an omelet or two to row 11.

Sadly, when I went to the bathroom later, I saw the rude FA eating an omelet in the galley.

I wish I had thought to get her name and write, but I let it slide.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 12:10 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA MM Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
If I don't get my choice of meal, I don't let it ruin my flight. It happens and I can either eat what is available or not. My choice.

If the flight attendant is abrubt or seemingly not very cordial, I don't let it ruin my flight. I can let it upset me or not. My choice.

"Someone" or something doesn't ruin my flight.

If the OP wants to send a letter to UA to complain or advise about the actions of the FA then send the letter. I fail to understand the purpose of posting about it here accomplishes. No one here can resolve or address the issue. And, it is unfair and against the TOS to post names of employees. I would expect the Mods to adress this issue here.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 12:17 pm

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
Wow, you have nothing constructive to add to the thread and we get a post about it?

Its not about the OP getting her choice (or anyone else for that matter).

Its about the rude, lazy and unprofessional behavior (not to mention the lying) exhibited by some UA employees. So yes, it does deserve a thread.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP UA 2KMM AMB
Well I don't see anything wrong with calitequilasippergirl sharing her experience and asking for other members' opinions. With that said I would definitely report this rather rude and incompetent behavior (How difficult is it to accurately ascertain who gets what based on status?). You might be surprised what you'll get in response.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 12:49 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
No, she got a lying, condescending SOS purser, and we got a thread on it.

Last edited by l etoile; Sep 24, 2009 at 1:02 pm Reason: quote deleted per TOS and mentioning employee names
Old Sep 23, 2009, 12:51 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
Upfront explanation of possible meal choice limitations

The question of meal choices seems to surface regularly, so why not, as a matter of policy, have the FA/Purser make a blanket announcement. Say, "Our caterers do a statistical calculation, based on the Poisson distribution, e.g., the probability of rare events, to determine the omellette/fruit plate ratio for each flight. In the rare event that this forecast is incorrect, our Breakfast Panel will triage the request according to status & fare level, so you *may* not get your first choice. The consolation prize is a free snack box from way back there (assuming that we have any extras). Thank you for your kind attention."
Old Sep 23, 2009, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
If you don't write about this, no one except those on this board will know and it will do little if nothing to affect change.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 2:06 pm

Programs: AS MVP, UA GM, Hyatt Somethingist
Originally Posted by BH62
The question of meal choices seems to surface regularly, so why not, as a matter of policy, have the FA/Purser make a blanket announcement. Say, "Our caterers do a statistical calculation, based on the Poisson distribution, e.g., the probability of rare events, to determine the omellette/fruit plate ratio for each flight. In the rare event that this forecast is incorrect, our Breakfast Panel will triage the request according to status & fare level, so you *may* not get your first choice. The consolation prize is a free snack box from way back there (assuming that we have any extras). Thank you for your kind attention."
This would be great! Maybe we could even get the parameters used in the distribution (by route and time of day, of course). It would certainly alleviate my recent suspicions that there hasn't been much prioritization of my meal choice lately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.