Wiki Posts
Search

Can I do this itinerary?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2009, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

Question Can I do this itinerary?

Hi everybody,

I just joined FlyerTalk, and I'm fairly new to the frequent flyer scene, so please forgive me if this is a noob question.

Background:
  • With my current plans, I will fall about 800 EQM short of 1P this year.
  • My plans include a roundtrip from IAD to CLE for Thanksgiving.
  • When I go to United.com and do a basic roundtrip search, only direct flights show up.

What I want to do is this:
  • I want to manually give myself a connection by booking a multi-city flight. On Nov 26 (early), fly IAD to ORD. Then (still on Nov 26) fly ORD to CLE.
  • Same return as a normal roundtrip.

This would give me basically an extra 600 miles (times 2 for DEQM) which would give me 1P, AND it costs the same as the basic round trip.

What I don't know is if this violates any sort of Mileage Plus rules or fare rules. Plus, if my first flight into ORD gets delayed, would I be protected for the second flight (from ORD to CLE)? Has anyone done this sort of thing before?

A second option I was considering is booking a multi-city from DCA - CLE (on my normal departure date), then CLE - IAD (on my normal return date). There's no direct flights from DCA to CLE, so the website automatically finds a connection through ORD. This seems more "legit" to my uneducated mind, so I am tempted to do this, even though it would mean leaving and returning from two different airports.

Thanks in advance for the insight!
Old Sep 21, 2009, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Welcome to FT, and congratulations on your upcoming 1P status

You can book your multi-city from IAD. If united.com sells it to you (and there's no reason it shouldn't... it often offers me SFO-LAX-LAS in addition to SFO-LAS), you won't have problems getting credit and you will also be protected if your first leg of your trip is delayed.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 11:17 pm
Suspended

if your first leg of the trip is delayed, ask them to put you on a nonstop, and then call UA MP and ask for original routing credit.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 11:51 pm

You can do it. Keep in mind, this is not a valid routing for IAD-CLE and will fare out as two seperate fares; IAD-ORD and ORD-CLE. This will probably be more expensive than say doing a mileage run. Some great fares exist from IAD to FL.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
A couple of things:

You mention you want to take a connection as it is the same price, but that may or may not be true (unless you've already checked out the connection options, and it is indeed the same, then I should just keep quiet). Note that lots of things can cause the price to shift a bit (including taxes if you choose a connecting airport over a nonstop), so you're connecting flight could be less, more or the same as the N/S.

While you will be protected on the next available flight should your first leg of a multi-leg journey be delayed, etc., note that if you are travelling at the peak thanksgiving period, the next available flight might be the next day, or even 2 days later. You can standby of course, and as a displaced passenger, you will be ahead of anyone who just wants to standby to get home earlier, but any other displaced passengers with status will be ahead of you on the list.

I'm not saying it will happen, but it wouldn't be unheard of for ORD to get snow by thanksgiving. But for me, personally, on Thanksgiving, I always try and do a N/S or the absolute least number of connections, especially these days when there really isn't much extra capacity in the system.

If you absolutely have to be home for thanksgiving, it might be better just to book the nonstop IAD-CLE, and do a quick 400 mile MR before DEQM ends, perhaps one of the same day return e-fares one weekend.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 12:32 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by emcampbe
You mention you want to take a connection as it is the same price, but that may or may not be true (unless you've already checked out the connection options, and it is indeed the same, then I should just keep quiet). Note that lots of things can cause the price to shift a bit (including taxes if you choose a connecting airport over a nonstop), so you're connecting flight could be less, more or the same as the N/S.
100% correct. Since ORD does not fall under the size for reduced PFC/XF/ZP as some tiny airports, and since you have not met your limit on PFC/XF/ZP on this ticket, the connection will cost you a bit more. The only way it wouldn't is if you are on a tax free ticket, or one where UA eats the taxes, but those are not mileage earning in most cases, so I bet you are not on one of those.

The price difference will be under $20 rt, so to make status or not, I think the answer is obvious, as to what to do.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 7:45 pm

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Simple answer to the original question: both ways are legit and neither will cause you trouble (from a ticketing point of view--as other posters mentioned, something could go wrong with the connection but that's regardless of how you bought it). If United.com will price it and sell it to you, you'll be "protected" if you book a connection and something goes wrong.
Welcome to FT!
Old Sep 23, 2009, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Wow thanks for all the replies!

I guess I just need to decide if it's worth risking a connection during Thanksgiving.

Thanks a lot for the insight!
Old Sep 23, 2009, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA PP, Hilton/MR Gold
If you want to 'force' this to show up as a connection, just leave out of DCA instead.

Then you will undoubtably be routed DCA-ORD-XXX.

(That is likely why this is a valid routing and the price is the same in the first place).
Old Sep 23, 2009, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

Hey all,

I was just rereading some of the posts, and wanted to make sure I was clear on something:

The IAD - ORD - CLE routing doesn't show up automatically when I look for roundtrips between IAD and CLE. I have to manually go to "Multicity" and then enter IAD - ORD then ORD - CLE on the same day to get this routing.

Just wanted to make sure I was clear on that point...still OK?

Thanks a lot!
Old Sep 23, 2009, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Yes that's fine.

If you can get .bomb to book it, it's fine. Even if you can't get .bomb to book it, it's often fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.