Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Senior Discount on United???

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2002, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Senior Discount on United???

I know that several airlines discontinuted senior discounts this past weekend. Does anyone know the situation on United. I do know that the senior discount available on UAL.com vanished, along with the senior electronic certificates, and that is probably not a good sign.

Bruce
Old Jul 15, 2002, 7:47 pm

Your best bet might be to check out their Silver Wings fares. The international zone fares can be useful if you don't care about upgrades. For example, the west coast to Hong Kong is $600 year 'round.

------------------
"Blue days, all of them gone, nothin' but blue skies from now on"
Old Jul 15, 2002, 8:25 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA MM *G. Continental *G
That would be really strange, since they just a few weeks ago made it possible to book senior discount fares on united.com
Old Jul 16, 2002, 12:51 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
I don't see UA (yet) on the list of airlines eliminating the 10% senior discount.

I paid, four years ago, US$225 for my UA Silver Wing Plus Life membership.

The Policies 'guarantee' (with the exception of general 'excape clauses' like 'UA reserves the right to terminate the Silver Wings Plus program with 12 months' notice' or 'terms, policies and conditions are subject to change at any time'): "will enable them (members) to receive a 10% discount on airfares on their 62nd birthday".

I wonder what our (Silver Wings Plus life-members) legal rights would be, if UA would terminate the 10% discount part (or the whole program) that we paid for in advance (membership fee US$225).

Do/did the other UA-airlines (those that 'abandon' now the 10% discount) have similar membership-programs/rules?
Old Jul 16, 2002, 6:50 am

UA's current policy is to still offer the 10% senior discount to all passengers of 62 yrs or over. The discount also applies to one travelling companion of any age on the same itinerary.
Old Jul 16, 2002, 10:42 am
Original Poster

I don't think United is offering any senior discounts now. I checked a number of routings on Orbitz. Alaska and America West were clearly offering the discount, but United didn't show a discount on any route, the same as the other major carriers. They may not have put out a publicity statement, but it seems they have still cancelled the discount.

On the other hand, I agree with Rudi. I don't know about the other airlines, but United has charged Silver Wings members hundreds of dollars with the discount being one of the listed advantages. They might cancel it in general, but I would guess that withdrawing the discount from Silver Wings members would result in a lot of questions.

Bruce
Old Jul 16, 2002, 1:24 pm

No sooner do I speak everything changes. UA has eliminated the senior discounts in line with the other major carriers. In addition to eliminating the 10% senior discount they have also announced the end of the Silver Travelpac program.
Old Jul 16, 2002, 2:57 pm
Original Member

the international zone fares still exist
http://www.silverwingsplus.com/repor...s_09_2001.html

and so does the USA Travel collection
http://www.silverwingsplus.com/reports/usa_09_2001.html

[This message has been edited by Rudi (edited 07-16-2002).]
Old Jul 17, 2002, 10:10 am
Original Member

From: Silver Wings Plus Customer Service <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 17:22:38 +0200
To: Rudi Martel <[email protected]>
Subject: Question regarding the 10% Senior discount as a life-long Silver Wing member

Dear Mr. Martel:

The 10% discount is administered directly by United Airlines Reservation at 1-800-241-6522. Please contact them and they can address your inquiry as they have discontinued the 10% discount.

Sincerely,

Wayne Chavez
Silver Wings Plus
Member Services
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gruezi from Switzerland (gruezi = Hi in swiss german)

Some US-carriers seem to have stopped the 10% Senior discount on airline tickets.

Do I, as a life long Silver Wing member, still get the 10% discount now and in the future on UA bookings/flights?

Are certain fares excluded from getting the 10% discount?

Cheers from the Alps

Rudi Martel
Old Jul 17, 2002, 10:18 am
Original Member

Not only are they taking away a granted profit when I registered and paid for my life-long SilverWing membership, but they also don't open communicate about it, and when asked, they hide each other behind the back of the other (UA and Silver Wings).

I am looking now for fellow life-long UA SilverWing members that share my frustration and will discuss here what we can/shall do about it.

I still have the initial leaflet from UA Silver Wings at hand that promisses 10% senior discount once I will have reached 62 years. And I paid US$225 three years ago for that membership.

I will, probably, as my first step vis-à-vis Silver Wings, ask them for reimbursement (in international valid travel vouchers if they prefer) of the US$ 225 paid.
Old Jul 17, 2002, 10:18 am

The 10% senior discount was not a feature benefit of the Silver Wings program, it was available to anyone 62 or over. Silver Wings membership could be gained at age 55 but that did not qualify you for the 10% discount until you reached 62. Therefore the 10% discount is gone, regardless of your status as a Silver Wings member.
Old Jul 17, 2002, 10:31 am

I agree with Worldtrav. They are separate programs.

However, if I posessed some literature which implied that joining Silver Wings for life entitled me to the 10% for life, then I would suggest to UA ( and/or Silver Wings) that they owe me something.
Old Jul 17, 2002, 10:41 am
Original Member

from Silver Wings Plus welcome letter, 1998, signed Silver Wings Plus, Customer Service Center, P.O. Box 50159, Dallas, TX 75250:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Silver Wings Plus Membership Policies
4.) Airline discounts are applicable on published fares for members age 62 and older. ...
5.) The 10% discount on most airfares available to members age 62 and over may be combined with ...
6.) Members joining Silver Wings Plus prior to their 62nd birthday will automatically be issued a new Silver Wings Plus membership card that will enable them to receive a 10% discount on airfares ...</font>
[This message has been edited by Rudi (edited 07-17-2002).]
Old Jul 17, 2002, 1:14 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
They are still offering this program. Les has an invitation to join that is good until 8/31/02. I am tossing it as we will not be joining. The benefits, to us, seem to little.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.