Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Can cancelled ticket credit be used on a codeshare ?

Old Sep 17, 2009, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

I cancelled an all UA metal domestic itinerary, and there's some residual value after the $150 fee is taken out. If I book another itinerary with some US codeshare segments, can I still apply the credit to the new itinerary ? Or does the new itinerary have to be all UA metal as well ? Thanks.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 8:06 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by UAFlyer
I cancelled an all UA metal domestic itinerary, and there's some residual value after the $150 fee is taken out. If I book another itinerary with some US codeshare segments, can I still apply the credit to the new itinerary ? Or does the new itinerary have to be all UA metal as well ? Thanks.
From my own personal experiences, it needs to be both UA code and UA metal to use residual values for the ticket.

LAX
Old Sep 17, 2009, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by LAX
From my own personal experiences, it needs to be both UA code and UA metal to use residual values for the ticket.

LAX

This is not correct. If it's an unused ticket, it can be used for anything UA-coded.

It's the VDB credits and e-certs that have to be UA code/UA metal.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA1K, BA GLD
If I remember correctly I used cancelled ticket value on UA codeshares as long as the flight has UA number; metal does not matter as the opposite of Dollar Off vouchers that do require UA metal. I even think (though less sure) that not all flights need to have UA numbers, e.g. for TATL flights only the first over the water flight has to have UA number (it was LH metal in my case).
Old Sep 17, 2009, 8:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by channa
If it's an unused ticket, it can be used for anything UA-coded.

And I've also used refare vouchers on a combined UA/UA code-share trip.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
And I've also used refare vouchers on a combined UA/UA code-share trip.
Though I suspect that's mostly due to GA leeway (or ignorance/apathy, if you're a cynic ) rather than something actually allowed. IIRC, refare vouchers (a.k.a. Travel Vouchers) also include the "UA/UX-only" verbiage.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 8:54 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by channa
This is not correct. If it's an unused ticket, it can be used for anything UA-coded.

Perhaps I got bad information the few times I did it. Tried to get a codeshare once because it was cheaper, but was told not if I wanted to use the credit. I now know I need to be more firm next time. Thanks.

LAX
Old Sep 17, 2009, 9:08 pm

Location: Palo Alto. Previously, below the approaches to Rwy 19 @ DCA or 28 @ ORD
Programs: UA 1K 0.8MM, AA EXP
As channa says, using post- change fee value of an old ticket towards a new ticket that incorporates UA-coded, third party metal flights *is* acceptable. I did this successfully just last month.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 10:07 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by cepheid
IIRC, refare vouchers (a.k.a. Travel Vouchers) also include the "UA/UX-only" verbiage.
That is correct.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 10:14 pm
sy7

Technically, I don't think you are supposed to use the canceled ticket credit on codeshares.

However, one reason the ticket agents might be lenient about this is because it is really straightforward to book a cheap refundable UA ticket, and then change it to the flights (including codeshares) that you desire. This works only with ticket credit or type B vouchers.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 10:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cepheid
... IIRC, refare vouchers (a.k.a. Travel Vouchers) also include the "UA/UX-only" verbiage.
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
That is correct.
Reading from a re-fare travel voucher / exchange coupon
Valid for travel on UA/UAX only.
Not valid for codeshare flights.
Valid on any UA/UAX published fare.
and
Valid for travel on United Airlines/United Express only

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.