Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

My new mission: To be nothing but a cost center to UA

My new mission: To be nothing but a cost center to UA

Old Sep 11, 2009, 3:09 pm
Suspended

Why on earth did you intentionally book such a stupid route for this trip? Two connections? I don't book two connections unless I am flying to Asia or maybe from tiny airport on East Coast to tiny airport on West Coast. You're playing with fire re: missed connections, not to mention you must value your time at $0 -- or perhaps you like to be in an airplane?
Old Sep 11, 2009, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM
flying and scuba diving

I have been scuba diving in more than 25 countries around the world.
I find it absurd to plan a "dive trip" the way the OP did. If you want
your own dive equiptment to get to your dive destination on time, you
carry the essentials in hand luggage -- prescription dive mask, dive
computer, regulator. If worse comes to worse (as should be expected
with such an itinerary) you can rent the rest of the dive equiptment
at your destination, even if that destination is New Guinea. This OP
was going to Key Largo -- piece of cake to rent anything you would
need. If you are a 1K, you should know better than to count on
the itinerary you booked. I'd say 95% the OP's fault and 5% UA fault.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dts6b
I have been scuba diving in more than 25 countries around the world.
I find it absurd to plan a "dive trip" the way the OP did. If you want
your own dive equiptment to get to your dive destination on time, you
carry the essentials in hand luggage -- prescription dive mask, dive
computer, regulator. If worse comes to worse (as should be expected
with such an itinerary) you can rent the rest of the dive equiptment
at your destination, even if that destination is New Guinea. This OP
was going to Key Largo -- piece of cake to rent anything you would
need. If you are a 1K, you should know better than to count on
the itinerary you booked. I'd say 95% the OP's fault and 5% UA fault.
Not sure how much more plainly to explain this, the trip wasn't some super special or once in a lifetime vacation. I am going to Koh Phi-Phi and the Maldives next weekend it and I hadn't used my gear in a few months so it was just a check dive to make sure everything was in good working order, thus the requirement to use my gear vs rental. With the four day weekend I figured why not shoot out to the Keys for the dive and relax in South Beach for a couple days rather than dive off Laguna or Catalina. Like I said earlier I wasn't super mad about the trip itself going belly up but rather how it was handled, I ended up spending the weekend at home in Newport which was equally fun. The routing was chosen as from SNA that was the best I could do for the time (ORD-MIA gets in real late) and to minimize RJs.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold
I'm very sorry to hear that you had a bad experience. We've all had them but 9 out of 10 times hopefully they are good experiences. You'll see this on every airline and some are much worse than UA..(personal experiences and I'm sure others can vouch too)

I continue to fly United with the hope that they will get better...I really think slowly but surely we will see things turn around over the next 5-7 years but they can't turn around without all of our help. Knowing that, I'm not afraid to pay twice the amount for a ticket in United vs another carrier for the shear fact that I'm trying to do my part to turn the airline around. (although I refuse to pay anything but half the normal price for UAX) This is even true knowing that 100% of my travel is leisure and out of my own pocket. Everybody has to learn for themselves but switching airlines is not the answer and will only make things worse.

What if all the premium traffic quits flying UA and they go under? Then what will you be left with in SFO? A whole bunch of different airlines that don't serve the cities you want, just the very major cities around the nation. Sounds much worse to me.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 9:59 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Since a lot of you are more "concerned" about the OP's routing and scuba equipment issues instead of the reason for the thread, this thread is verschlossen. Think the lost City of Atlantis.

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.