Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United phone rep makes credit card offer

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2009, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

United phone rep makes credit card offer

Maybe this is common but I had never heard of this. Like many, we get lots of ff credit card offers in the mail.

My DD called United last week for seat selection on an international flight and was offered 30,000 ff miles is she signed up for a new cc. Only 1 purchase necessary.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA Silver, whatever the Amex plat gets me and somehow still IHG Diamond after 3 years of no nights
I've gotten this before.

Not to mention the 1K line asks me if I need a rental car about 90% of the time.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 8:31 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by mpw81
Not to mention the 1K line asks me if I need a rental car about 90% of the time.
GS line - 100 percent of the time. Even we are not immune...
Old Sep 2, 2009, 11:03 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Susan4
\
My DD called United last week for seat selection on an international flight and was offered 30,000 ff miles is she signed up for a new cc.
I wonder if the agents get a commission on successful sales.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 8:11 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I had the purser on a flight make a rather lengthy credit card pitch on the PA and then pass out applications.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by l'etoile
I had the purser on a flight make a rather lengthy credit card pitch on the PA and then pass out applications.
So United is becoming like US Airways?
Old Sep 3, 2009, 8:38 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 1.93MM+, UA Gold, SWA Comp Pass, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by l'etoile
Same experience for us in July on LAX-OGG. This wasn't the "run of the mill" pitch but bordered on an infomercial. Not sure of how may takers they received but they did have a captured audience..
Old Sep 3, 2009, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
happens every time i call, now.

have added it to MY end of the call 'yes, you've met my travel needs, no, i don't need a rental car and i already have the visa.' usually they laugh, and tell me they don't need to ask the 'have i met your travel needs' question anymore.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 9:00 am

Programs: UA Gold, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by johdhj
So United is becoming like US Airways?
I hope not, because that had to be one of the most frustrating things about US (when I still had to fly them), especially a nice loud announcement on the morning flight just after I fall asleep.

But on the subject of the original question - do not have to call in too often, but last time, a few weeks ago, I was offered the credit card after booking a couple of award tickets.

Rental car is more or less standard - and I think goes for most airlines, US and DL do that as well.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
100% of the time the 1K line offers to book a hotel or car.

Sometimes (10%?) I get offered a credit card or loan.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Interesting experience with standby processing at DEN

deleted ... posted to wrong thread

Last edited by mre5765; Sep 3, 2009 at 8:21 pm Reason: wrong thread
Old Sep 3, 2009, 1:36 pm

When dealing with a 1K agent for a MR

Originally Posted by mre5765
100% of the time the 1K line offers to book a hotel or car.

Sometimes (10%?) I get offered a credit card or loan.
...which schedules me to be sitting in the boarding area of the "turn" airport for ~30-45 minutes before boarding the return flight, I'll have an agent say something to the effect, "And would you like a ren...oh, I guess not if you're leav ...(giggle..)
But I've been spared the Visa card offer, probably because I've just charged the fare using my Visa card..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.