Wiki Posts
Search

Intn'l mileage UG

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2009, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold; HH Diamond; Hyatt Plat
Intn'l mileage UG

New to int'l travel and curious about miles needed to UG.

If I book full Y fare IAD-FRA-DEL, and the FRA-DEL leg is a UA flight # operated by LH, can I upgrade this entire itinerary (both legs) using 15,000 miles?

What if both legs are UA flight #s operated by LH?

My confusion comes from the *A award chart, where it describes mileage upgrades by segments. Thanks!
Old Aug 25, 2009, 8:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by NightTripper
If I book full Y fare IAD-FRA-DEL, and the FRA-DEL leg is a UA flight # operated by LH, can I upgrade this entire itinerary (both legs) using 15,000 miles?

What if both legs are UA flight #s operated by LH?
No. You would need one upgrade for IAD-FRA, and one upgrade for FRA-DEL. UA upgrades are per direction, but Star Alliance upgrades are always per segment.

Also, I haven't checked the rules lately, but you may not even be able to upgrade the codeshare flight - you may need to book the LH flight with an LH flight number to upgrade.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
In order to upgrade the fra-del leg, you must book on a lh flight number. It will be an additional 15k miles.

You should look into z fares for the trip. You would get business the whole way, and it would be cheaper if available.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 9:13 am
Original Poster

thank you both. follow up question:

If a friend were to sponsor a single SWU, would this instrument be applied to both legs (IAD-FRA and FRA-DEL), assuming space available?
Old Aug 25, 2009, 9:16 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
No. The SWU only works on a single LH segment (the code share does not matter). You can only use SWU's to cover multiple segments if the flights are UA operated.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 9:22 am
Original Poster

thank you for the concise answer. I am now 0 for 2....
Old Aug 25, 2009, 9:26 am

Programs: UA, DL
you could use your miles to upgrade IAD-FRA and have your friends SWU printed for use with LH and use it to upgrade the FRA-DEL segment.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 9:29 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Skymiles, EleVAte founding member, SPG
LOL, at least your mom still loves you....
Old Aug 25, 2009, 10:00 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
If you're looking to pay for full Y you ought to be able to find a Z fare that's comparable in price or even less if you can be flexible about when you're going and get an advance purchase ticket (granted this may not be possible). If you can book in Z then get a printed SWU from your friend and you can upgrade one of the legs to F...a nice treat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.