Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

OK... IAD-OAK new service starts at 2 Daily

Old Mar 19, 02, 2:10 am
Original Poster

Effective Tuesday, May 8, United will offer competing service to JetBlue Airways on this route.

Flt 222 operates everday with a Breakfast AND Snack service

Flt 236 operates everyday except Saturday and is the redeye

Interesting development.
Old Mar 19, 02, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

JetBlue's existance makes me happy; finally a WN equivalent that will help out fares on transcons. Deflating the value of NoCal-IAD service is just great! BTW, for those of you that aren't aware, AA has also been trying to throw a wrench in JetBlue's plans -- IMO, AA;'s LGB tactics are the most alarming:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum71/HTML/007754.html
Old Mar 19, 02, 7:21 am

Location: San Francisco, CA USA // UA 1K 2 Million Miler, AA EXP 2MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat // Easily found on SFO-ORDs
Wow-- pricing on that route is $273!

I couldn't find the fare rules, however-- when clicking on united.com's Fare Rules link for the fare just before ticketing, the rules came up empty. (Another thing I hate about united.com!)

I'd imagine that this would be a T or W fare-- and I also wonder if it's non-mileage accruing.

Has anyone figured out the fare rules on the route?
Old Mar 19, 02, 8:49 am
Suspended

Programs: Loyal to Myself
Watch these guys at JetBlue. They are coming on strong, and have hit the sweet spot of a good product, good marketing, and good pricing.

They have filed for an IPO, and my gut tells me it will be well received, despite the general carnage in the airline sector.

With a decent amount of operating capital, they could really start getting in the big boy's shorts. UAL is recognizing this, and attempting to respond, but they just aren't structured to do that efficiently. The rule is clear... if you want a premium price, offer a premium product, or watch nimble competitors eat your lunch over time with a good product at a much better price.
Old Mar 19, 02, 11:22 am

Programs: Gymboree Global Services
I thought this was announced last year (when jetBlue announced it last year) and then was cancelled/postponed thanks to 9/11. (B6 also postponed their service)

First Qrt 2001, SFO-WAS had the 10th highest average fare in the country and SJC-WAS had the 8th. And of the top 10 highest fare routes, none had more passengers per day than SFO-WAS. jetBlue is a smart little airline and will be sucessful too.
Old Mar 19, 02, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Good observation whindler.

The interesting thing is that United has upped the ante from an initial daily to double-daily service.

Too bad IAD-SNA is not starting.

Routes not coming back--

IAD-SMF
SFO-BDL
SFO-AUS
LAX-ATL
LAX-HOU
Old Mar 19, 02, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA 1P
The OAK - IAD fares are cheaper than the SFO-IAD fares, but not by a whole lot, believe it or not. Any Bay Area types have an opinion on the Fair Market Value of flying out of SFO vs OAK if you live in SF proper? In other words, how much more would you pay to fly the same flight at the same time out of SFO as opposed OAK? Flying back to DC for a wedding in May and debating between the 2. FWIW, the fares I am looking at are $50 cheaper/person out of OAK, but avoiding the Bay Bridge is worth something. anyone?

[This message has been edited by TarHeelFlyer (edited 03-19-2002).]
Old Mar 19, 02, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
OAK is closer but I have been preferring SFO. OAK - longer security lines, more expensive parking, no RCC, less flight options if a reroute is necessary, smaller planes with less upgrade opportunity. The longhaul services also seem to get priority over the shuttle-type services during delays, so my SFO delay rate isn't horrendous. Also OAK is going to be having years of disrupting construction. That said, I'm happy to have the OAK/IAD service and am sure I will use it for connections to Europe. For me, if the fare is less, and an upgrade looked likely, I'd pick OAK. Otherwise, SFO.
Old Mar 19, 02, 8:02 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, #datelife
On a selfish note, I just appreciate having one more connection option from the Left coast to IAD on redeyes....
Old Mar 19, 02, 8:49 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Eastbay1K:
OAK is closer but I have been preferring SFO. OAK - longer security lines, more expensive parking, no RCC, less flight options if a reroute is necessary, smaller planes with less upgrade opportunity. The longhaul services also seem to get priority over the shuttle-type services during delays, so my SFO delay rate isn't horrendous. Also OAK is going to be having years of disrupting construction... </font>
I agree with you on everything but the parking. Where are you parking at SFO that is cheaper than OAK'swww.expressoparking.com with indoor/outdoor parking at $5.95/$8.95 (and with AAA 15% discount or coupon from their web page it's $5.08/$7.61 per day) ?

[This message has been edited by cblaisd (edited 03-19-2002).]
Old Mar 19, 02, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by 1K-SFO:
Wow-- pricing on that route is $273!
</font>
I'll be surprised if they don't come down further to match JetBlue's fares during the launch phase of this route. (I know United isn't as keen on matching as some of its competitors, but in this case they have a chance to head of the newcomer before it takes off.)

Old Mar 19, 02, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I will have to check out that parking place - I usually use Park-n-Fly, but more frequently at OAK was using the economy lot because I could walk to T-1 quickly. Now, its $15 a day for Economy, and its often full. I expressed my recent gripes with OAK in the airports forum.
Old Mar 19, 02, 11:33 pm

Programs: United 1K MM - 1.7M actually, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hertz Gold
It has been interesting to watch United add flights back to its schedule;

ORD - DFW -- watch out American !

SEA - ORD Hourly -- watch out Alaska !

IAD - OAK -- watch out Jet Blue !!

It will be interesting to see how these routes play out
Old Mar 20, 02, 12:23 am

Programs: UA PLT 1MM, Pualani Gold, Hyatt Disc, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTGold, ClubCarlson Gold, IHG PlatAmb
Echoing what EastBay1K said about SFO vs. OAK, I do all of my flying out of SFO for its: a) Premier Security line, b) larger planes for better chance of upgrade, and c) the beautiful RCC. Yes, crossing the bridge from the inner East Bay can take awhile during commute hours but often enough fares out of OAK are more expensive than SFO for some of my usual routings.

Chuck, as far as SFO parking, I've bought pre-paid parking coupons from PCA Parking last year. They charge $12.25/day plus tax but with prepaid, I end up paying $7.10/day (including tax). Not bad at all, and prepaid coupons qualify for their Frequent Parker points.

Details can be found here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum...ML/003633.html

Hope it helps!
Jamester
Old Mar 20, 02, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I'e flown out of OAK twice this week. When I flew AA nonstop last Friday night, there was no line at security to speak of for a 2245 flight. Today I flew UA to DEN, and then on to AUS, and the line at OAK, at 6 in the morning, took 45 minutes to clear. You just have to wonder how much more capacity they can handle for morning flights. I flew out of SJC at this same time two weeks ago and had no delays to speak of. OAK is not the place to be for morning flights.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: