Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

In-Flight Wi-Fi launching on p.s. Oct. 2, '09 [Updated November 2009]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2009, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold

The first plane (N517UA) is scheduled to come out of GSO this week and start flying with Wi-Fi... according to a.net. Of course, I just pointed out another post over there that was off, so this one may not be accurate either

Looks like the test flights may have happened today:
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/U...342Z/KGSO/KPIE
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/U...537Z/KPIE/KGSO

Last edited by bmvaughn; Aug 23, 2009 at 5:51 pm
Old Aug 23, 2009, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA1K
Hmmm, I wonder when it'll be ready to go into service? I've got a ps flight (LAX-JFK) later this week.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 8:30 pm

Reg N517UA, a PS config...
Old Aug 23, 2009, 9:01 pm
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Thumbs up Good To Hear...

Flying p.s. either Thurs night or Fri am from JFK to LAX. Would love to have Wi fi.

Elite Status Is Not A Matter of Life Or Death, it’s Much More Important Than That!
Old Aug 23, 2009, 9:13 pm

I'm on UA15 October 9...

Living in hope!
Old Aug 23, 2009, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
^ Good news, though it was nice being able to take a break from checking e-mails and FT up in the air. Hope this will be free or discounted for C and F.

I expect live in-flight reports next week!
Old Aug 23, 2009, 10:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Hope this will be free or discounted for C and F.
My guess is doubtful on both.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 10:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
Looking forward to the inevitable thread where we can all complain that our obnoxious seatmate in 9B yapped on his/her wifi-enabled cell phone the whole flight.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 10:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by paullevi
Looking forward to the inevitable thread where we can all complain that our obnoxious seatmate in 9B yapped on his/her wifi-enabled cell phone the whole flight.
There have already been such posts from the original WiFi announcements. And it's something I'm sure not looking forward to.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 10:17 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by paullevi
Let's hope they block those ports or the bandwidth is too low to allow for it... forever.

I'm torn about WiFi myself as I like the peace of getting time to read or actually do some work instead of playing virtual office. However with a few P.S. flights coming up later this month I'm also excited and hopeful that I get to try it out.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 10:24 pm

I hope they end up deciding on expanding the service to the whole fleet. So many other airlines are far ahead in implementing WiFi, and I would die to use internet on a transcon to pass the time.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 6:58 am

Programs: UA G
This is great news. I typically prefer flying into EWR since E+ is nicer on mainline (I don't fly C/F) and EWR is a lot more sane than JFK/LGA. I'll suck it up and fly into JFK if it means there's WiFi involved.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 7:37 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold,
unavaca: at the risk of going OT, in what way - exactly - is EWR more sane than JFK or LGA?

I agree on wanting UA to roll this out sooner vs later. It's a useful service and most business transcon players are way ahead on this vector. It's almost made me choose other carriers.

-G
Old Aug 24, 2009, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
My guess is doubtful on both.
I suspect you are right, since it will theoretically more likely be C and F travelers who will need to use wifi onboard.

I really hope this is a money-maker for UA.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 9:01 am

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by gabrielz
unavaca: at the risk of going OT, in what way - exactly - is EWR more sane than JFK or LGA?
Public Transit options are a lot better out of EWR than they are out of JFK (I don't ride cabs unless I absolutely have to). I've also had more friendly/accommodating GAs here.

I'm hoping that UA WiFi will support iPass logins... WN doesn't support any roaming partners but AA does ^.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.