Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

United FF Miles from Air New Zealand flight [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United FF Miles from Air New Zealand flight [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2009, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by JALlover
UA's X I and O dont earn any miles
All *A X I and O don't earn any miles, not just UA, as they are codes for *A award ticket. Does it make any sense to give people miles when they are flying on award ticket ?

However, all Y revenue fares on UA earn 100% actual miles, there are many *A partners on discount Y fares earn 70%, or 50%, or no miles at all.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Mar 13, 2009 at 7:17 am
Old Mar 13, 2009, 6:10 pm

I didnt mean that, since I am not sure about the codes of booking classes of each airline
Old Mar 14, 2009, 8:44 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Y0 doesn't necessarily mean lowest available seat is business class, on Air NZ premium economy is a separate cabin..
Kiwi - for a UA NC flyer, NZ' Premium Economy is business class .
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
But New Zealand is so nice, it's worth the difference.
You talk the country or the airline ?
Old Mar 14, 2009, 11:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by weero
You talk the country or the airline?
The country.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 10:38 am

Programs: UA General, HH Gold
Unhappy United FF Miles from Air New Zealand flight [Merged]

Thank you in advance if anyone can answer this question..

I flew 16,292 miles on Air New Zealand from LAX->AKL->MEL->AKL->LAX and attached my United Dividends Number. I also flew on United from CMH to LAX and back.

United denied me the 16K miles on ANZ because they said my fare was booked under K class which is too discounted of a ticket.

Do I have any recourse to get any credit for those miles flown?
Old Aug 18, 2009, 10:41 am

Programs: UA Silver, Southwest A-List, Hilton Diamond
Sorry but I don't think there's much you can argue for Mileage Plus. It's on United's website if you look under mileage earning partners. Here's the link for AirNZ with no credit in Booking Classes: X I L G S K P.

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,,1181,00.html
Old Aug 18, 2009, 10:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by rdmanc00
Thank you in advance if anyone can answer this question..

I flew 16,292 miles on Air New Zealand from LAX->AKL->MEL->AKL->LAX and attached my United Dividends Number. I also flew on United from CMH to LAX and back.

United denied me the 16K miles on ANZ because they said my fare was booked under K class which is too discounted of a ticket.

Do I have any recourse to get any credit for those miles flown?
You mention "dividends"... are you sure you were not trying to credit to US?

Also, according to UA K will NOT earn miles: http://www.united.com/page/article/0,,1181,00.html

IME, they are not flexible on this. Sorry
Old Aug 18, 2009, 10:45 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Don't blame UA for this.. blame Air New Zealand for limiting the mileage earning fare classes.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 10:46 am

'K' class on NZ is also no-go for miles in the US Airways Dividend Miles program:

http://www.usairways.com/common/reso...crualchart.pdf

-Kinglobjaw
Old Aug 18, 2009, 10:54 am

Programs: UA General, HH Gold
Thanks everyone, I'm afraid that I was just not very knowledgeable about the limitations. Also I had our company travel service book the flight and wasn't aware of what booking codes were used.

Next time I fly out there I will try to go on United metal through Sydney!
Old Aug 18, 2009, 11:02 am

Programs: UA GS
Why not try to get credit for the miles on NZ rather than just throwing them away......who knows, you may end up flying with NZ sometime down the road with enough miles to earn a free trip?
Old Aug 18, 2009, 11:25 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
K class will only credit to NZ Airpoints.

LAX-AKL-MEL return will earn 170 airpoints dollars. This can be used on a NZD170 fare on NZ flights - ie its enough for several domestic flights within NZ.

220 is needed to upgrade economy to premium economy oneway between north america & nz (or LAX-LHR).

Note while there is no joining fee outside NZ & Australia, there is an annual fee if you don't fly Air NZ at least once a year.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 11:34 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Same thing happened to us...only I was able to prove that the flight was booked in W. Also, looking at the UA website, it certainly looks as if ALL flights should credit (except for the pesky asterisk that doesn't include the final category of fares):

* As of July 1, 2008, all travel on Air New Zealand credited to the Mileage Plus program accrues actual miles, with no minimum.

It would be worth double checking your fare category once more.

Last edited by Fredd; Aug 18, 2009 at 11:37 am Reason: asterisk
Old Aug 18, 2009, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Fredd
Same thing happened to us...only I was able to prove that the flight was booked in W. Also, looking at the UA website, it certainly looks as if ALL flights should credit (except for the pesky asterisk that doesn't include the final category of fares):

* As of July 1, 2008, all travel on Air New Zealand credited to the Mileage Plus program accrues actual miles, with no minimum.

It would be worth double checking your fare category once more.
This stipulation is unrelated to the OP's situation. This refers to minimum miles on short haul flights. I suspect this means that for NZ flights under 500 miles, actual miles are accrued, and not a 500 mile minimum, as has been standard. Similar to the way US-metal flights credit.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 11:45 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by emcampbe
This stipulation is unrelated to the OP's situation. This refers to minimum miles on short haul flights. I suspect this means that for NZ flights under 500 miles, actual miles are accrued, and not a 500 mile minimum, as has been standard. Similar to the way US-metal flights credit.
Thanks for clarifying that. There's also some not-very-helpful fine print:

Mileage accrual and redemption is possible only on scheduled flights operated by the airline partner. Flights and routes may be changed by the airline partner at short notice. The miles accrued are determined by the operating airline. Please note that the booking class shown on your ticket may differ from the booking class relevant for mileage accrual. Please retain your boarding pass and a copy of your ticket until the mileage credit is reflected on your Mileage Plus statement. The general terms and conditions for the Mileage Plus program will apply.

FWIW we had to go through rigamarole to get our W fare credited but that doesn't help the OP if definitely on the K fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.