Employee Upgraded over Pax

Old Apr 26, 02, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Employee Upgraded over Pax

Boy this is what gets me mad more than anything else I've seen on UA. The other day they somehow placed two people in the same seat in F. The plane wasn't full at all but the F cabin was. They placed one of the travelers in E+ (bulkhead row) while the other stayed in F.

The reason I was really upset was there was a nonrev in 1d. How do I know? She had on her badge, for all to see, plus she went right past me to the employee lounge at SFO before getting on the plane.

I'm not sure if the traveler who was sent back to E+ was a nonrev but by the way he was acting, I would guess not.

This policy of upgrading the FA or whoever works for the airlines over paying customers (even if we are on the waiting list) needs to be addressed. I see this more times than not. If they are so outright with it, for all to see, seems to be wrong in all avenues.

I think UA has a new policy. Keep the employees happy at the expense of the customer, not matter what.

Old Apr 26, 02, 10:56 am

This situation is second only to having the wait list people sit in coach and there are empty F seats at take off. Just makes you feel so appreciated.
Old Apr 26, 02, 10:58 am

Too many uncertainties - I wouldn't jump the gun.

------------------
When once you have experienced being a 1K, you will forever fly the friendly skies with your eyes set on 100% mileage bonus and SWUs, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return, every year!
Old Apr 26, 02, 12:08 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
The "positive-space" guaranteed F/J by contract argument is losing steam as well. Sure, their contracts may give employees the "right" to F/J over upgrading passengers but what good will it do them if there is no more UA? Customer satisfaction is very low and the financial stability of this airline is "extremely rickety". The smart thing to do would be to accommodate the customer whenever possible at this point in time for this airline.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by *HighFlyah*:
Too many uncertainties - I wouldn't jump the gun.

</font>
Old Apr 26, 02, 12:18 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by idainc:
This situation is second only to having the wait list people sit in coach and there are empty F seats at take off. Just makes you feel so appreciated.</font>
Well, I don't know about that. If an airline decides to make it policy that only people who paid for first class sit in first class, then what is there to feel unappreciated about? That's how it goes.

The question I see here is this: when two passengers who were both legitimately given upgrades have only one seat, the airline *should* bump down any non-rev passengers in favor of them.

I don't know what the whole story was here -- maybe the gate agent didn't have access to the list showing who was non-rev, or on the other hand, he/she could have also been pulling some shady dealings by ignoring the non-rev and making the one fare-paying passenger move back.
Old Apr 26, 02, 1:03 pm

NCR, that's why you go STRAIGHT to the customer service center and ask about the flight. They can still pull up the DM history and see who was cleared and how. If infact, an employees was upgraded over a passenger, then the employee who cleared the list will be terminated or face disciplinary action (I've seen this done first hand).

-nate
Old Apr 26, 02, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

I didn't know you could ask to see the DM list. This is something else that I'm learning each day with this site.

Boy, please keep it coming.
Old Apr 26, 02, 1:56 pm

Hmm, just because this person was an airline employee, they were sure to be a non-rev...

I don't think that would hold up in a court of law.
Old Apr 26, 02, 3:26 pm

What if that person was on her way to her next work assignment? Would that change your mind?

Keep in mind that unless you purchase and confirm, with either money or miles, a first class seat, you are not entitled to it. Sure, they probably should give it to you over a non-rev. But it's not guaranteed.

If first class is important for you, pay for it and confirm it beforehand. Then you won't have to worry about these things and you'll have much more peace of mind when you don't have to stand around at the gate waiting to see if you get it.

Otherwise, you take your chances.

[This message has been edited by mdtony (edited 04-26-2002).]
Old Apr 26, 02, 4:23 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA EXP & UA Gold
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mdtony:
[B]What if that person was on her way to her next work assignment? Would that change your mind?

Why should that change our minds? Many of the elites denied the FC seat were also heading to work.

Even if that employee is a pilot (and often these non revs are NOT pilots), I don't buy it. If it's that important they be "rested", UA should get these pilots to work well in advance of their start time so they can get some real rest in a bed.
Old Apr 26, 02, 6:00 pm

Ah... the upgrades vs nonrevs ....

Saw this argument in DL board too. Customer should report this to respective airlines if its a flt benefit abuse (it happens).
Old Apr 26, 02, 7:13 pm

you aren't allowed to see the DM list.. but they can research it and see if the complaint was legit..

-n
Old Apr 26, 02, 7:51 pm

There is not one iota of solid evidence in this thread that suggests that what might have happened was anything related to flight benefit abuse.

------------------
When once you have experienced being a 1K, you will forever fly the friendly skies with your eyes set on 100% mileage bonus and SWUs, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return, every year!
Old Apr 26, 02, 8:06 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mdtony:
What if that person was on her way to her next work assignment? Would that change your mind?

Keep in mind that unless you purchase and confirm, with either money or miles, a first class seat, you are not entitled to it. Sure, they probably should give it to you over a non-rev. But it's not guaranteed.

If first class is important for you, pay for it and confirm it beforehand. Then you won't have to worry about these things and you'll have much more peace of mind when you don't have to stand around at the gate waiting to see if you get it.

Otherwise, you take your chances.

[This message has been edited by mdtony (edited 04-26-2002).]
</font>
Ahh. . .a voice of reason in the sea of insanity!

FYI - some employees also pay for their tickets and have 1K status (have seen this with some of the UA employees I know personally). That way they don't have to go standby, but they are still employees and may show their badge to get access to various areas.
Old Apr 26, 02, 8:59 pm

I have also met several FAs who buy tickets (including F) and are 1Ks. But some of them still wear their badges.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: