Quick way to get 2,104 miles?

Old May 1, 02, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Quick way to get 2,104 miles?

Does anyone have an easy way to get a quick 2,104 miles on UAL (so I will have enough to redeem a free ticket)? Thanks!!

Aussiemate
Old May 1, 02, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know how quick they post, but you can purchase some direct from United.

http://www.ualmiles.com/
Old May 1, 02, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PremEx:
I don't know how quick they post...</font>
It says 2-3 weeks.

But my question is that it says, "2.5 cents per mile plus 7.5% excise tax and a .001 per mile processing fee..."

.001 cents or $.001?

[This message has been edited by chexfan (edited 05-01-2002).]
Old May 1, 02, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club

Mileageplus dining lets you earn 10 miles/$ at participating restaurants, so spend a bit over $200 on meals and you're there.

Buy a bunch of stuff through portal sites that award miles (e.g. goldpoints)

But a subscription to InsideFlyer, collect the 2500 starwood points, and transfer them into UA miles.

Lots of other possibilities...

how quickly do you need the miles to post?

You could get someone to hold the award reservation for you, and then ticket with your miles once they'd posted...
Old May 1, 02, 6:28 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by chexfan:
It says 2-3 weeks.

But my question is that it says, "2.5 cents per mile plus 7.5% excise tax and a .001 per mile processing fee..."

.001 cents or $.001?

</font>
The actual price they show says "Price includes both Federal Excise Tax and processing fee" underneath it. When you take off the 7.5% and the original 2.5 cents this leaves an apparent 0.093 cents per mile processing fee!

So the answer to your question - neither!
Old May 1, 02, 7:53 pm
fparker1

mco-lax on ua273. takes about 4 hours and gets you 2217 miles plus a meal. cant beat that!

------------------
f

Old May 1, 02, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hypothetically speaking.... if you could fly from Moscow to Helsinki and get a web booking bonus, you'd get exactly 2104 miles (552*2 + 1000) upon completion of your roundtrip.

Old May 1, 02, 10:03 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by awness:
The actual price they show says "Price includes both Federal Excise Tax and processing fee" underneath it. When you take off the 7.5% and the original 2.5 cents this leaves an apparent 0.093 cents per mile processing fee!

So the answer to your question - neither!
</font>
If you apply the excise tax only to the 2.5 cents price, not the 0.1 cent processing fee, it works out. But don't ask me why you should do it that way.
Old May 1, 02, 10:12 pm

If the dining for miles option interests you, their web site currently lists some restaurants that are offering 20 miles per dollar for a limited time. Maybe you could take some flyertalkers out to dinner...

JP
Old May 2, 02, 9:03 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by moondog:
Hypothetically speaking.... if you could fly from Moscow to Helsinki and get a web booking bonus, you'd get exactly 2104 miles (552*2 + 1000) upon completion of your roundtrip.
</font>
Not quite!

According to my AA statement, my AY flight HEL-SVO generated only 545 miles (not counting any bonuses). Not that you can earn UA miles on that flight in the first place...
Old May 2, 02, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA 2 MM LIfetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Silver, BA
I have been working on adding 2229 UA miles to my daughter's account to bring it up to 10K so that I can transfer them through DC to BA. I have found restaurants that give 20 miles per $1 and have HER FF# on a Citibank credit card. We've discovered a few great new restaurants and have returned to a couple I already knew were great. They say the extra 10 miles will be rewarded in June. The promo ends May 30th.

------------------
DtG

Search this Thread
Search Engine: