Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will United Match Jet Blue During SEP?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2009, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Will United Match Jet Blue During SEP?

Anyone have any insider information that would indicate that United will significantly lower rates or run another double EQM promotion during the month of September to compete with Jet Blue's all you can fly promotion?
Old Aug 14, 2009, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by justhadtosay
Anyone have any insider information that would indicate that United will significantly lower rates or run another double EQM promotion during the month of September to compete with Jet Blue's all you can fly promotion?
I sure hope not. I think this promotion will end up costing JBlue a lot of money personally.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by aluminumdriver
I sure hope not. I think this promotion will end up costing JBlue a lot of money personally.
i agree. i dont think it would be smart business for ua to match them (but we all know that that doesnt necessarily mean they wont do something)
Old Aug 14, 2009, 8:09 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
United could match by offering booklets of 100 shares of UAUA stock for $599 to as many people as will take them. Quick way to raise cash to get them through the winter.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 8:24 pm

Programs: Free agent!
I'm not sure why UA would want/need to match B6's promotion. Outside of some trunk routes such as SFO/LAX to JFK/BOS, I don't see a ton of overlap in terms of routes that UA & B6 fly. They might lose some people to B6 on those aforementioned routes but I would imagine that UA is chasing F & C type passengers on P.S. flights.

I think it was USA Today that quoted some expert as saying that they pretty much saw retirees and student/backpacker type as the only ones to take advantage of this.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Economics aside, 'twould be fun if they did though, and would lead to some great threads about various routings.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by Fredd
Economics aside, 'twould be fun if they did though, and would lead to some great threads about various routings.
Nobody would purchase it here, it wouldn't earn miles. :-)
Old Aug 14, 2009, 8:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
I doubt it. With UAs hub network they do not have the same routes as B6. They may offer a minor sale or lower fares a little but it would not be good for them to match this.

I also do not expect to see another DEQM. They already did one and a lot of people took advantage. I expect to see one though by possibly March or April of 2010 if the economy is still down.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by 100% Green
Nobody would purchase it here, it wouldn't earn miles. :-)
'Twould only be fun if it earned miles. I'm fantasizing.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 8:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by fredd
'twould only be fun if it earned miles. I'm fantasizing.
syd-sfo-lax-iad-dxb-iad-sfo-syd
Old Aug 14, 2009, 9:55 pm

Location: Palo Alto. Previously, below the approaches to Rwy 19 @ DCA or 28 @ ORD
Programs: UA 1K 0.8MM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Benny8444
syd-sfo-lax-iad-dxb-iad-sfo-syd
a good several times...

Let's see... traveling at 500 miles per hour for twenty hours a day for thirty days yields 300k BIS miles.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 9:59 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Why would anyone have a sale to match this...people that were going to buy it will fly on B6 as once they pay, it is free? Who would then purchase a ticket on UA on a competing route after purchasing it? All it would do is dilute. The "one timer" isn't going to buy it, so a sale isn't going to match...either you buy on UA or B6, and lowering prices doesn't compete, it would only dilute.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 11:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Of course UA wouldn't sell something like this for $600 - it would be too useful to pass up. I'd buy one in a heartbeat - even if just to use for work. Of the places I anticipate going next month, B6 flies to two of them, and one of them is already sold out.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
Of the places I anticipate going next month, B6 flies to two of them, and one of them is already sold out.
There is a flight that is already sold out you mean? Which one's that?
Old Aug 15, 2009, 2:01 am

Programs: UA 1K
Don't think UA will do it for $599, that's way too cheap consider the domestic network United have. AC unlimited pass in NA run you ~$3800/month, and UA is bigger than AC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.