Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Does Upgraded First on LAX-YVR Count For Lounge Access?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2002, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Location: Los Angeles, CA UA Premier Exec, AA Platinum, Marriott Gold

I did a search, and I couldn't find a response to this particular question: I have a confirmed upgrade on my LAX-YVR (Vancouver) flight tomorrow. Will I have access to the International First Class lounge?

I'm not sure of 2 things:
If Vancouver counts as an "international destination -- i.e. is it only overseas destinations?

If upgraded tickets are allowed in, or if it is only full-fare or full-mileage tickets.

Any answers are appreciated! (I'll probably end up asking to be let in anyway...)
Old Apr 25, 2002, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
At SFO it would, at ORD it wouldn't, at LAX I haven't a clue, so there's hope...
Old Apr 25, 2002, 4:38 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

The Air Canada MLL at LAX would probably let you in for sure since you're *G and flying *A but I think AC & UA depart from different terminals so it might not work for you.
Old Apr 25, 2002, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, I'm departing from T7 (or T6), and Air Canada is in T2. But I've used the UA Int'l First Lounge for flights to CDG and SYD (both were full-mileage tickets), and it is very nice. I'm hoping even a cheap upgraded ticket to Vancouver will qualify for Int'l FC Lounge entrance, because it makes waiting for a flight much nicer!

(maybe next time I will try AC. I've never flown them).
Old Apr 25, 2002, 6:49 pm

Programs: NW Platinum Elite * UA Premier * Marriott Platinum * Hertz #1Gold Five Star
I don't think it will. The Intl FC lounges are for paid FC or full-mileage tickets only. Upgrades I don't think are allowed in. You might get lucky - but in ORD at least - that is a pretty controlled commodity. I think it is the same as "Arrivals" service- pd class or MP award class only (in this case it is F & B - but you see what I mean).

At least you know about it. When we went MSP-ORD-LHR last year F-class MP award - we checked in at MSP - and as a PremEx I knew we could use the RCC. (no 1st class Intl in MSP). The MSP agents never told me on our layover in ORD we could use the 1st class lounge. So we didn't get to use it except on our return from FRA-ORD-MSP. Oh well. At least I asked about Arrivals in LHR - that was awesome. My wife still talks about that "perk". This fall another F MP award to Europe - and we WILL use the Intl F lounge.

[This message has been edited by MSP Flyer (edited 04-25-2002).]
Old Apr 25, 2002, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Well, I guess I'll let everyone know what happens tomorrow! Thanks for the info!
Old Apr 25, 2002, 8:59 pm

What time are you flying. I'll be on LAX-YVR tomorrow as well. I'll also ask about the int'l F lounge as I also have a confirmed UG.
Old Apr 26, 2002, 12:01 am
das

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
If you are a 1P, can you get RCC access when flying to Canada?
Old Apr 26, 2002, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
[QUOTE] The Intl FC lounges are for paid FC or full-mileage tickets only. You might get lucky - but in ORD at least - that is a pretty controlled commodity. [QUOTE]

I'm slightly confused......Do MP award tix in first enable access to FC Lounges, or only full-boat MP awards? and, where in ORD is the 1st Class lounge? I know the RCC's, but haven't seen the 1st Class...(perhaps because I haven't used awards yet!)...Thanks.
Old Apr 26, 2002, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes. UA International First Class award tickets on United allow you access at United International First Class Lounges. They also all use of Arrivals By United facilities and services.
Old Apr 26, 2002, 9:28 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PremEx:
Yes. UA International First Class award tickets on United allow you access at United International First Class Lounges. They also all use of Arrivals By United facilities and services.</font>
Does UAL consider Canada International?

Old Apr 26, 2002, 11:55 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold,
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by IK in Seattle:
Does UAL consider Canada International?

</font>
Absolutely. And, at SFO, you would definitely get Int'l first access with your u/g tix to Canada or Mexico (have done this a few times - miss those UA metal SFOYYZ flights).

&lt;G&gt;
Old Apr 26, 2002, 12:31 pm

Along these same lines. Let's say you are *Gold and don't have a club membership. If you were going from SEA-YVR would you have RCC/MLL club access?

This is a 50 minute UX flight.
Old Apr 26, 2002, 11:25 pm

Programs: UA Plat-2MM, Marriott Life Titanium, Hyatt something
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by IK in Seattle:
Along these same lines. Let's say you are *Gold and don't have a club membership. If you were going from SEA-YVR would you have RCC/MLL club access?

This is a 50 minute UX flight.
</font>
According to the Star Alliance website, the only exception to lounge access for Star Golds is UA members traveling within the US and using RCC. I can verify that I have been welcomed, with a companion, into MLL in Canada as a UA Premier Exec.

http://www.star-alliance.com/isroot/SA/htmen/1_1.htm

Charles
Old Apr 27, 2002, 10:36 am

I'm a bit confused. In Canada, we have very distinct departure areas: Domestic (within Canada), Transborder (U.S. departures), and Int'l. Each has their own lounge areas and applicable arrivals lounges.

Whenever I'm in the States, the taxi drivers are just as clueless as I am when it comes to WHERE I am supposed to be dropped off: Domestic or Int'l? For example, at SFO, AC departs in the Domestic area, but the RCC (to my knowledge) is in the Int'l secured departure area. So, if you're flying SFO-YVR on AC, where do you go?

Also, are Int'l FC lounges the same as Arrivals Lounges on AC? Are they exclusive to FC pax, full-mileage reward pax, and more importantly, only for INTERNATIONAL flights (including Canada)? Are they any different? I take it that these are separate from the RCC which most members with status have access to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.