Express Jet flying some UA* routes

Old Mar 12, 08, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl Emerald EE, Hertz PC, Avis PC
New short-term UX carrier: ExpressJet

From the sounds of it, this may just be temporary ... but according to a recent press release by ExpressJet, they will begin service as a United Express carrier soon:

For the fourth quarter, ExpressJet operated nine aircraft within its charter division. The charter business expanded its customer base by adding new long-term agreements and increasing the volume of ad-hoc charter activity. Also in the quarter, the company provided regional flying for Frontier Airlines. ExpressJet will provide short-term service later this month for United Airlines as United Express.
Full press release here: http://press.expressjet.com/phoenix....702&highlight=

I've never flown them, but they seem to have a good reputation from several friends that have flown them COS-ONT ... including a meal in Y!
Old Mar 12, 08, 3:39 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JohnnyP View Post
From the sounds of it, this may just be temporary ... but according to a recent press release by ExpressJet, they will begin service as a United Express carrier soon:

Full press release here: http://press.expressjet.com/phoenix....702&highlight=

I've never flown them, but they seem to have a good reputation from several friends that have flown them COS-ONT ... including a meal in Y!
A MEAL ON UAX IN Y? Yikes, it's been forever since I've even seen a bag of pretzels in Y on Skywest UAX....I doubt UA will stand for this outrage
Old Mar 12, 08, 4:01 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by JohnnyP View Post
That would be on their own branded flights, and not the standards of UX which they would follow.
Old Mar 12, 08, 5:53 pm

from what we have been told, expressjet is going to fly for us on the east coast on routes that have been mesa flying until mesa can recover from the pilot shortage they are experiencing. to bad they can not get a longer contract as they are heads above any uax carrier imho, including skywest
Old Mar 12, 08, 8:23 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by uacsr View Post
from what we have been told, expressjet is going to fly for us on the east coast on routes that have been mesa flying until mesa can recover from the pilot shortage they are experiencing. to bad they can not get a longer contract as they are heads above any uax carrier imho, including skywest
Yep, and Skywest isn't exactly what I would call "competitive" from a service standpoint, especially on routes where they actually compete with other regionals for passengers, like Horizon for instance...
Old Mar 12, 08, 8:48 pm

Programs: United 1K MM - 1.7M actually, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hertz Gold
XJet has a number of spare aircraft they can devote to UA short term...they had something like 75 aircraft that CO ditched...and that is why they came up with their own branded service...mainly flying where noone else wants to fly (sorry that's a little harsh).

Maybe if they do a good job UA will recognize that and bring them on permanently...but in the end, an RJ is an RJ...
Old Mar 12, 08, 10:34 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Programs: AS MVP Gold, AA Plat, HH Dia, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Gold, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Originally Posted by DADISGARYK View Post
Maybe if they do a good job UA will recognize that and bring them on permanently...but in the end, an RJ is an RJ...
True, but anything is better than Mesa.

It looks like Xjet's fleet is all E135s and E145s. Beats a CRJ-200 I guess.

http://corporate.expressjet.com/expressjet/fleet.htm
Old Mar 13, 08, 5:46 am

Programs: UA 2P, WN, NW
My son in law at 6' 7" thinks XJet is much more comfortable than Y in either WN or UA.
Old Mar 17, 08, 4:42 pm

Location: Everywhere & Nowhere - living in hotels worldwide 365
Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
No MP credit, tho

I flew on ExpressJet from IAD to CHS on 12 Mar, UA5205. The miles for that leg didn't show up in my summary. When I tried to request credit for them online, the web site said:

The operating airline is not a Mileage Plus partner. Therefore, this flight is not eligible for credit.

It was marketed, sold, and operated as a "United Express" flight. I talked to an MP rep, and he repeated what the web said, that United Express flights operated by ExpressJet do not count toward any mileage credit. He said that there were no future plans to give mileage credit for ExpressJet flights.

He also couldn't provide a list of earning United Express partners. I got that from a regular customer rep: Colgan, GoJet, Skyways, Mesa, Shuttle America, Trans States, and Chataqua.

So, at this point, buyer beware. If you fly a United flight operated by ExpressJet, you get no miles credit.
Old Mar 17, 08, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by g_leyser View Post
True, but anything is better than Mesa.
Until recently my only Mesa experience was on the DH propeller jobs some of the DEN-COS-DEN flights use. Mesa, unlike other UX carriers, or UA or Shuttle by United (when the latter two covered the route) actually serve a beverage on a 20 minute (wheels up to wheels down) flight. Sure it is bottled water, but it is nice to have.

Now Mesa has one of the COS-ORD nonstops on a CR7 ex-plus, which I always fly in F (Skywest or Mesa). Mesa's tray tables actually span the arm rests, unlike the Skywest CR7, or for that matter, any of the UA mainliners. The FAs serve the gold foiled nut/pretzel mix in a cup. The FAs also bury the beer in ice.

So FWIW, I find Mesa to have slightly better service, though I certainly admire Skywest more as a company.
Old Apr 25, 09, 7:52 am

ExpressJet Operating UAX Flights Again?

I just noticed in the updated schedule that ExpressJet will be operating some UAX flights from ORD-SDF beginning in June. I know they operated for UA temporarily last year but I haven't seen anything about this current arrangement. Anybody have any info?
Old Apr 25, 09, 10:06 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Yes--you are correct. They will have the same arrangement as last year.
Old Apr 25, 09, 11:31 am

Programs: UA, HH, SPG
ExpressJet recently discontinued all of their own "XE-numbered" flights. Perhaps they have some extra aircraft available.
Old May 14, 09, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Just noticed that ExpressJet is to fly ORD-ICT-ORD starting on June 4th.
Old Jun 5, 09, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Looks like ExpressJet is flying quite a few flights for UA this year. I see a significant amount of coverage on old Mesa routes... does that mean Mesa is going away?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: