Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Lounge Access Without Star Alliance Gold Card [Merged Threads]

Old Jul 16, 2008, 11:32 am
Original Poster

I'll be flying LH soon and have *G status through UA 1P status. I haven't received my 1P card from UA. Will my LH boarding pass show my *G status and convince the LH lounge sentries to let me in?
Old Jul 16, 2008, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mki303
I'll be flying LH soon and have *G status through UA 1P status. I haven't received my 1P card from UA. Will my LH boarding pass show my *G status and convince the LH lounge sentries to let me in?
A search will reveal that many have tried and few (if any) have succeeded. The *Gold card is the magic key for LH.

Oh, to the specific question - I'm pretty sure the LH boarding pass will NOT show your status, and probably not your MP number either. Indeed, I always ask to make sure they have it in their record, and they frequently do not. When checking in with LH I always hand them my *Gold card when I'm in the premier checkin line and they almost always have to reenter the number into my record.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 11:43 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 2P, Hilton Silver VIP
I'm assuming you're in Y, not C or F.

It's dicey at best...LH sentries can be pretty tough, even if the status shows on your BP. Best to call the 1P line and have them fax you a note saying you're a 1P.

BTW--1P status gets you into LH Senator lounges, marginally nicer than LH Business lounges.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 11:47 am

Programs: DL DM 1.77MM, Marriott LT Plat
A few questions:
1) How soon is your upcoming flight?
2) When did your status change from 2P to 1P?
3) What class is your ticket? If in Y, can you u/g to C?

Depending on the time since #2 and the time remaining to #1, you may want to send an email or call MP to see if they can expedite (if you haven't already done so). While I can't say the LH agents won't let you in, from what I've read, ymmv in this type of situation.

Originally Posted by milepig
A search will reveal that many have tried and few (if any) have succeeded. The *Gold card is the magic key for LH.

Oh, to the specific question - I'm pretty sure the LH boarding pass will NOT show your status, and probably not your MP number either. Indeed, I always ask to make sure they have it in their record, and they frequently do not. When checking in with LH I always hand them my *Gold card when I'm in the premier checkin line and they almost always have to reenter the number into my record.
Probably depends on who prints the BP and where, but I can't confirm. I DID have an LH BP printed by LH in LYS show *Gold, and the same was true on my LH-printed UA BP's from MUC-ORD-LAX.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 16, 2008 at 11:54 am Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Jul 16, 2008, 11:51 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by MVFlyer
Best to call the 1P line and have them fax you a note saying you're a 1P.
In my years as 1P or above, I have never been able to get MP to do this.

I'm pretty sure the LH boarding pass will NOT show your status, and probably not your MP number either.
Usually shows *Gold on the LH BP
Old Jul 16, 2008, 11:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by anc-ord772

Reports are that even if the LH BP shows *Gold the LH agents won't let you in. They want to see the card.

OVMV. Cheers.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
Just found 4 LH BPs in my briefcase.

In the same position, one says "UAP" one says "UA*G", the other two have no indication of status.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Reports are that even if the LH BP shows *Gold the LH agents won't let you in. They want to see the card.

OVMV. Cheers.
They won't. I was referring to some kind of status documentation on the BP only.

Just found 4 LH BPs in my briefcase.

In the same position, one says "UAP" one says "UA*G", the other two have no indication of status.
50/50 then I guess. For me, it's not SOP to follow up with them to re-enter the MP#, if I give it correctly the first time they seem to have it.

Last edited by anc-ord772; Jul 16, 2008 at 1:20 pm
Old Jul 16, 2008, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
They will generally accept a printout from UA showing your status _and expiry date_. If you're heading via FRA the RCC staff there will give you such a printout if you ask - other RCC's might as well if you ask.

Make sure that it's got the expiry date on it - it's not listed on the standard printout. When the did mine at the FRA FCC they even stamped it with an official UA stamp, although I'm not sure that was actually needed.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
FWIW, I was just in MUC yesterday on LH, and my boarding pass reflected my *Gold status as UA Prem EX and was going into the bus class lounge (was also on a Z fare ticket) after showing it to the LH attendant. The LH attendant then asked me to show her my Star Alliance Gold Card and said that I could go into the Senator's Lounge. Of course, I complied! Safe travels!
Old Jul 16, 2008, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
I was in FRA a few days ago and entered the LH lounge with my UA boarding pass that said Premier Executive.

I thought they would ask for my 1P card, but they didn't
Old Jul 16, 2008, 6:12 pm

Programs: AV LifeMiles, CM ConnectMiles, BA Exec Club. Former:ex-ASGold, ex-UA1K, ex-COPlat, ex-NWGold.
Last year I got access as a 1P to the FRA lounge before my current-year card arrived. I had called MP in advance, thanks to FT, and requested the fax. I was told they would not fax, but would send me an email verifying my Premier Executive/Star Gold status. To my surprise, the LH dragonettes accepted the email printout even though they were about to turn me away with just the UA*G on their BP.

The BP alone won't cut it with LH usually. Even if it does show your status correctly.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
I was in FRA a few days ago and entered the LH lounge with my UA boarding pass that said Premier Executive.

I thought they would ask for my 1P card, but they didn't
FWIW...I had the opposite experience a few days ago in FRA. In attempting entry to Senator's Lounge, the clerk needed my card in addition to the BP already showing "UA*G"... I had it, so no problems...
Old Jul 16, 2008, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I had a UA BP with 1P and was let in to the Business and Senator lounges in the A gates at FRA.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold
I've called 3 times asking for my card and still no luck. the first one probably got lost when i moved. any advice?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.