Pit-iad/bwi/dca

Old Aug 1, 09, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Pit-iad/bwi/dca

i'm trying to fly from pittsburgh to washington to go see the redskins game on september 27. i really want to fly on united (first time as a 1k) but the price is like $280 round trip, and southwest is only like $110 rt so it isnt worth that much to me to fly united for such a short trip. (ua is pit-iad and southwest is pit-bwi) im not sure which one is better to go to the game or whether it matters, but my question is- is it likely that united's price will fall if i just wait? obviously i know there is no way to know for sure, but if there's anyone who flies that route occasionally, i was wondering what kind of prices are normal.

i haven't checked this yet, but earlier this year i flew something like pit-iad-san-iad-pit for $202 rt, so would i get in trouble if i book pit-iad-??? and only fly pit-iad, and on another itin book iad-pit-???. i know i probably won't get the miles but i don't really care about that for 1000 total miles rt since im only at like 100,050 eqm and theres no way im gonna reach 150k. and obviously i wouldnt care about them cancelling the rest of the itin. if they are two separate itins, is it at all possible that they cancel the second itin because i booked a hidden city?

Thanks, and sorry about so many questions in one post, but i guess its better than starting more threads.
Old Aug 1, 09, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
FedEx field is in Landover, MD. BWI is closer than IAD.
Old Aug 1, 09, 9:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
per
http://www.nfl.com/teams/schedule?te...seasonType=REG
or
http://www.redskins.com/gen/games/schedule.jsp

Sept 27 Redskins are playing the Lions in Detroit

Old Aug 2, 09, 5:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum
You you can drive between PIT and the Maryland suburbs in 3 hours. That would be shorter time then waiting at the airport, flying, getting to rental at BWI, and the driving to whatever hotel. I'd drive it before flying southwest.
Old Aug 2, 09, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
thanks for that, i guess it must be the 20th. good thing i haven't bought tickets yet. that would've been bad.

Originally Posted by windchill View Post
You you can drive between PIT and the Maryland suburbs in 3 hours. That would be shorter time then waiting at the airport, flying, getting to rental at BWI, and the driving to whatever hotel. I'd drive it before flying southwest.
i would but i dont have a car and im only 20 so the car rental agencies wont rent to me.
Old Aug 2, 09, 10:04 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

I fly Southwest on specific routes where UA is simply not competitive. IAD-PIT is one of them. If you want to fly, Southwest into BWI will always be significantly less expensive.

I would fly Southwest without any regrets. Your benefits as a 1K on this route are nil - especially since you aren't old enough to enjoy the free alcohol. If you opt to take UA, many regional partners fly this route for UA. Do your best to avoid the Mesa flights.
Old Aug 2, 09, 12:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Pick a buddy in PIT who has a car and do the roadie with him.

OK, if you really want to fly, book the WN fare (assuming it's also valid on the 20th) and keep watching the US/UA fares. As long as you plan to fly WN sometime in the next year, you won't lose anything.

But I'd first see if you can find another football fan in Pittsburgh and avoid the flights altogether. Better yet...a whole carload of guys - 'Skins tix are really not that hard to come by these days. I mean, it's the St. Louis Lambs in town - you won't have to pay anywhere near face value to get in.
Old Aug 2, 09, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pinniped View Post
Pick a buddy in PIT who has a car and do the roadie with him.

OK, if you really want to fly, book the WN fare (assuming it's also valid on the 20th) and keep watching the US/UA fares. As long as you plan to fly WN sometime in the next year, you won't lose anything.

But I'd first see if you can find another football fan in Pittsburgh and avoid the flights altogether. Better yet...a whole carload of guys - 'Skins tix are really not that hard to come by these days. I mean, it's the St. Louis Lambs in town - you won't have to pay anywhere near face value to get in.
i would, but a lot of them are actually playing football that saturday and have pool and lifting on sunday and im meeting my dad over in dc for the game. i guess wn is the best option. thanks
Old Aug 2, 09, 7:58 pm

Programs: AS MVP75K, UA Gold
just drive it...pit is only 4.5 hours away from here.
Old Aug 2, 09, 9:42 pm
smn

I've done this route a lot. I've gone to school in PIT for the last 4 years. My home is 10 minutes from IAD. I've also been in a long distance relationship with someone in DC the last 2 years, so I have experience with these routes.

Here's my recommendation:

If going near IAD, it's going to cost you for PIT - IAD. Ever since Independence Air went out of business, RT fares are $300+ and rarely does an eFare show up. It's just easier to drive it.

If going to DC or MD (FedEx field is actually closer to BWI) you have a few options. SW is cheap, reliable, and easy. However, also consider US. If you have the time to travel, US often offers a $38 or $49 fare OW (which matches southwest) and routes you PIT->PHL->BWI and gets you 4 segments for the RT (I made 1P on UA by doing this a few times last year). In addition, if you're willing to wait till last minute, US often has last minute fares from PIT->DCA for a reasonable price, but this is really hit or miss and not reliable.

Hail to the Redskins!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: