Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

On all five flights this weekend the "randomly" screened pax was the 1st one in line

On all five flights this weekend the "randomly" screened pax was the 1st one in line

Old Mar 13, 02, 10:52 am

Well, you could be lucky like my dad and get screened because of a stupid flight arrangement. To save money, they booked him through from Washington to Charlotte to San Diego on the way out on USAirways, and they booked him on Continental from San Diego to Houston to Washington on the way back.

So, he had essentially two one way tickets. Guess who got a little bit of attention?

Did I mention that my dad is 65 years old with a bad back? Did I also mention that he carries a government passport and was travelling on a government ticket? Like he's going to blow the plane up?

Oh, but I forgot, we can't profile anyone, so instead of saying, hmmm, this 65 year old man travelling with government papers and tickets isn't likely to be someone who's going to do something and letting him go to screen some 25 year old guy who just got off the plane from Yemen without any bags, they have to focus on him.
Old Mar 13, 02, 11:25 am

Programs: COdbaUA free, WN A-List, AS MVP Gold, SPG Lifetime Platinum
I have been screened EVERYtime I have had a last minute change... Flight cancelled and changed carriers- got pulled aside- had to change destinations at the counter- BANG!

Anyway, at least they are getting better... I think... still kind of silly. SEA has been one of the easier airports.
Old Mar 13, 02, 3:36 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

I've seen pregnant women pulled over for screening. In a way, that's kinda refreshing because it appears more "random"..

My strategy for these things is :

a) NOT to rush to the gate when they invite elites/F to board.
b) Once the screeners are "feeding on their prey", I get into line. Unless they announce seat numbers in advance, I haven't seen any screener make people wait. It's usually a pick-screen-pick cycle.
c) NOT to make any jokes about busting the door down while in line to board. Yes, there's a silly story attached to this one.
Old Mar 13, 02, 3:50 pm

From my experiance AA always picks the first person in line too.

Another thing is if you change you flight within 24 hours of departure, I beleive they flag your name.
Both times I changed my flight the day/day before departure and when they went to scan my ticket it came up and said "screening required"
Old Mar 13, 02, 4:39 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K; UA Gold MM; AA Exec Plat; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Gold; National EE
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mdtony:

Oh, but I forgot, we can't profile anyone, so instead of saying, hmmm, this 65 year old man travelling with government papers and tickets isn't likely to be someone who's going to do something and letting him go to screen some 25 year old guy who just got off the plane from Yemen without any bags, they have to focus on him.
</font>
How easy is it to forge government papers? Do you think maybe an expert terrorist could do that?
Old Mar 13, 02, 5:04 pm

HA is very strict. The GA's pick people out of the line and then make them wait for the screener. I do find it interesting that HA, on their interisland flights (like 30 min. and over water), takes this very serious while UA and AA (all over the world) are sorta like whatever.
Old Mar 13, 02, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Having read here that the first passenger is always pulled over for extra screening, I took care to be no. 2 in Miami the other day. Of course, I was nabbed. But it was a fine experience -- a very pleasant young lady who looked scared out of her wits did the job quickly.
Old Mar 13, 02, 6:03 pm
BIM

And maybe the worst thing about all this - We are PAYING for this lunacy, via the "September 11th Security Fee"...
Old Mar 13, 02, 8:10 pm

I flew MSN-DEN-SFO and SFO-ORD-MSN last weekend. On all but one flight, it was the SECOND person in line who was "randomly chosen." My first flight out it was me, so I stayed back for my others...
Old Mar 13, 02, 8:27 pm

From what I've noticed in the 35 segs I've flow so far this year is that is tends to be one of the first 5-10 people to board. During the beginning of the year it tended to be the #1 or #2 pax but that seemed to only last for a couple of weeks and I rarely see the first 1-2 pax grabbed these days.

What I have noticed is there are some airports (JAC) where the gate agents choose who goes to secondary screening while at other airports (DEN) the screeners choose who they grab. Once I got to know the gate agents at JAC, they have not bothered me.
Old Mar 14, 02, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ditto what Col_Man said.
Old Mar 14, 02, 9:11 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Buster CT1K:
How easy is it to forge government papers? Do you think maybe an expert terrorist could do that?</font>
Sure. But let's see, how many terrorists do you know that are 65 years old with a bad back?

As for forging the government papers, let's just say that it'd be a hell of a lot easier to forge a drivers license or something like that.

Have you seen the official government passports? They have like a dozen different things to ensure security that regular passports don't have.

Plus, there were the government tickets he was travelling with. Those are hard to get unless you are travelling on government business.
Old Mar 14, 02, 4:59 pm

Programs: Many
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pynchonesque:
Also, those National Guard people should carry more weapons</font>
Or rather, IMHO, weapons more appropriate to the situation, e.g. H&K MP5, but being that these are National Guard they probably dont have them.

Old Mar 14, 02, 5:17 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA MM Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
With all due respect to those who feel the searches are not random, have you ever waited until the end of the boarding process to see the whole thing through? I have at ORD and I observed that the screeners would pull someone out of line at random intervals. And, my read of many of the examples cited in this thread support the random nature of the searches. I support profiling, and I also want the searches to have a random component. Remember Pan Am - Lockerbie? The "terrorist" was an unwitting woman accomplice. Yes, it was checked baggage but the lesson still applies.
Old Mar 14, 02, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The first pax are always selected -- not necessarily the *only* pax selected, but pretty consistently selected.

The first pax are always the ones searched, but there are some other pax that are searched too, I have noticed.

I always hang back and avoid being first to board. When I forget, I get the search bogie fixed on me.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: