Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Is there an IDEAL month of the year to become 1K?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2009, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, & EP 2024-25; Southwest A-List

Hi All,

I tried some searches, but did not find anything on this topic. My apologies if it is somewhere in FT already.

Currently, I am at approximately 91K EQM. Am I better off getting to 1K ASAP, and then moving over to AA for the rest of the year, or switch over to AA now, and delay getting 1K until later in the year?

Thanks in advance for your kind, non-antagonistic responses. ;-)

Happy Saturday!
Old Jul 18, 2009, 10:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
uh, seeing that ur at 1.8MM with AA, it depends on which airline is worthwhile more to you. If I were in your sitch, I would try to accumulate 200K AA miles as fast as I can to cross the 2MM threshold and be platinum for life and not have to think about re-qualifying every year anymore. As for UA, since ur at 91K EQM, what is your lifetime flight mileage count at? If it's close to 1MM, then go with United to get 1K and cross the million mile mark, then you will be lifetime 1P (equiv to AA plat).

IMO, the lifetime milestones are more important to me since my flying is erratic and I don't want to bother with re-qualifying every year. I just want to achieve lifetime status and never have to care again.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 10:55 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by onlyquestions
Hi All,

I tried some searches, but did not find anything on this topic. My apologies if it is somewhere in FT already.

Currently, I am at approximately 91K EQM. Am I better off getting to 1K ASAP, and then moving over to AA for the rest of the year, or switch over to AA now, and delay getting 1K until later in the year?

Thanks in advance for your kind, non-antagonistic responses. ;-)

Happy Saturday!
You will not be able to earn CR1's until you reach 1k, thus if you don't earn 1k until later in the year you will miss out on the 2 CR1's in quarter 3 and possibly quarter 4 depending on your BIS miles per those quarters. As for trying to get some AA status, that is up to you. I would get 1k asap and then cross your next e500 threshold to get your 2 CR1's for quarter 3 first.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 11:13 pm

Yeah, January would be the ideal month. Since you already missed January ...

Yes, it's a serious answer. When you make 1k for the first time, your benefits are good in the year you earn it and then in the full next year, and for 2 or 3 months into the year after that if you didn't requalify. So the earlier you earn it, the longer you have it, especially if you weren't requalifying.

-David
Old Jul 18, 2009, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, 1 MM
Get your 1K ASAP. You don't get the perks (CR-1s, extra award inventory, no fees for changes on award tix, easier upgrades, etc.) until you actually reach 1K, so get it over with, and then think about AA qualifying or burning some miles.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 12:43 am

Programs: UA-GS, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by schley
You will not be able to earn CR1's until you reach 1k, thus if you don't earn 1k until later in the year you will miss out on the 2 CR1's in quarter 3 and possibly quarter 4 depending on your BIS miles per those quarters. As for trying to get some AA status, that is up to you. I would get 1k asap and then cross your next e500 threshold to get your 2 CR1's for quarter 3 first.
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Yeah, January would be the ideal month. Since you already missed January ...

Yes, it's a serious answer. When you make 1k for the first time, your benefits are good in the year you earn it and then in the full next year, and for 2 or 3 months into the year after that if you didn't requalify. So the earlier you earn it, the longer you have it, especially if you weren't requalifying.

-David
#1 ^^
Old Jul 19, 2009, 2:22 am

Programs: UA 1K
Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but I thought if one make over the 1K line before second half of the year, one will get 6 SWU for current year and another 6 SWU in 2010?

If that is the case, I would recommend crossing 1K before 07/31
Old Jul 19, 2009, 2:52 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by beanex
Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but I thought if one make over the 1K line before second half of the year, one will get 6 SWU for current year and another 6 SWU in 2010?
I made 1K in June last year, and didn't get any SWU's at the time.

You do get the 2 SWU's for each 50k over 100k EQM in the qualifying year, but that's not dependent on the time of year.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 2:54 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La

No, I don't think that's right. One earns SWUs in January when one makes 1K status, then additional ones throughout the year once one passes each additional 50K EQM after 100K.

OP, if the only additional flying on United that you plan to do this year is just enough to get to 1K, then it doesn't matter when you do it. The status will last until 1/31/2011 regardless. Of course the sooner you reach the status, the sooner you get the benefits, but the only benefit that really is based on time is accrual of upgrades (CR-1 and e500), which are granted based on the number of miles flown in a calendar quarter.

All of the other benefits are based on EQM thresholds, so will be the same whenever you pass the thresholds.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 6:18 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium

I wish.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
The 6 SWUs are deposited only in January and only to those that have qualified for 1K for the year of that January.

The reason to achieve 1K soon is to get the CR1s and other benefits.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, & EP 2024-25; Southwest A-List
Thanks All!

Thanks to everyone for your responses!

Regarding lifetime status, I only have 200K United lifetime miles, so am not close to lifetime 1P. I used to fly AA almost exclusively, but AA systematically dismantled service in the bay area, and I finally relented and switched to United. I still use a Citi AAdvantage credit card, so I am getting closer the 2MM level for lifetime PLAT.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
I didn't see this pointed out but if you get 1K before about November you will get a 1K welcome kit this year good through Jan 2010... It's no biggie but there should be 10 drink tickets in the kit. Then you'll get another 10 in Jan 2010 when you get your Jan 2011 card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.