Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

WHAT TO DO: (Involuntary? or voluntary?) Denied Boarding

Old Jul 12, 09, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

I was belted in and ready for the flight when a flight crew asked if I want to get on a different flight because the plane was overweight. I got off the plane, and agent rebooked me for a flight which leaves a day after. I got a free ticket voucher with profile code: PMO, profile name: DBC Free (treat as type B voucher) - I was happy about it until I realized that the comp ticket says that it does not accrue miles. Is this a usual UA compensation or does UA gives out something better on situation like this on domestic flights? Could have I gotten a better compensation?

-j
Old Jul 12, 09, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jasp25 View Post
I was belted in and ready for the flight when a flight crew asked if I want to get on a different flight because the plane was overweight.....
That sounds voluntary to me! It is involuntary if UA demanded you to get off without giving you a choice.

DBC Free is the standard compensation unless you negotiated an alternative in advance of getting off.
Old Jul 12, 09, 4:21 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Sounds like a UX flight (weight issues)

A DBC ticket is the standard compensation and they do not earn RDMs/EQMs. Sometimes you can negotiate a $$ voucher instead (but they are not required to provide them). That does allow you to purchase a ticket at a lower cost (and maybe essentially free) and still earn miles.
Old Jul 12, 09, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, National Executive
This sounds more along the lines of a voluntary denied boarding. And yes, the DBC Free is a normal form of compensation. You may have been granted travel credits, but it seems to be hit and miss.
Old Jul 12, 09, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
If you were delayed less than two hours, you probably only would have received a $200 voucher anyway, making the r/t voucher more valuable.

In the future, just ask for a $$ voucher nicely. It's the agent's call, but if you are nice, they tend to be nice back.
Old Jul 12, 09, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unless they told you to get off, this was a voluntary, not an IDB. UA pushes the DBC-free tickets on volunteers, but I never take them. Not only do they not accrue miles, but they are also capacity-controlled. You've learned an important lesson:

1. Don't volunteer unless you KNOW exactly when you'll be traveling and you're okay with that.

2. Unless a DBC-free is useful to you, insist on vouchers. If they won't give you vouchers, say, "No, thanks." For an overnight at my home airport, I ask for $600 in vouchers. If it's not my home airport, I ask for a hotel for the night (and I specify the hotel) and meal vouchers in addition to the $600.

3. If you are ever actually IDB'd insist on CASH -- not vouchers, not DBC-frees. That's the law.
Old Jul 12, 09, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TerryK View Post
That sounds voluntary to me! It is involuntary if UA demanded you to get off without giving you a choice.

DBC Free is the standard compensation unless you negotiated an alternative in advance of getting off.
I said Involuntary.. because the new e-ticket the agent printed me, says on the endorsement box "invol reroute" with all caps "INVOL" at the bottom of the e-ticket receipt. Fare basis is w7nx/invol.
Old Jul 12, 09, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold
....Could have I gotten a better compensation?

-j
Well maybe if NO ONE else wanted to get off and UA said you had no option. If you don't like that they are offering for a Voluntary Denied Boarding situation, sit tight and see if they sweeten the pot. In general, it is better for them to get a VDB than have an IDB. Here you clearly volunteered, albeit with later remorse. Live and learn.....
Old Jul 12, 09, 4:27 pm

I said Involuntary.. because the new e-ticket the agent printed me, says on the endorsement box "invol reroute" with all caps "INVOL" at the bottom of the e-ticket receipt. Fare basis is w7nx/invol.
A missed connection due to weather is also an involuntary reroute. Not related to denied boarding.
Old Jul 12, 09, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If it's invol, you've been screwed. Call UA and tell them you can't be bought off with a DBC-free: you want your money AND compensation for the GA cheating you.
Old Jul 12, 09, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PTravel View Post
If it's invol, you've been screwed. Call UA and tell them you can't be bought off with a DBC-free: you want your money AND compensation for the GA cheating you.
So in my re-printed e-ticket saying "INVOL REROUTE" would that actually show in UA's system that I was IDB'd???? Cuz if it does, I'll call CSR and tell them to send me some ecerts.

-jasp
Old Jul 12, 09, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So in my re-printed e-ticket saying "INVOL REROUTE" would that actually show in UA's system that I was IDB'd???? Cuz if it does, I'll call CSR and tell them to send me some ecerts.

-jasp
I'm not sure, but it's probably worth a call anyway. As far as I'm concerned, offering a single DBC-free for an overnight delay is a rip-off. UA hands those out when there's room on the next flight an hour later.
Old Jul 12, 09, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PTravel View Post
I'm not sure, but it's probably worth a call anyway. As far as I'm concerned, offering a single DBC-free for an overnight delay is a rip-off. UA hands those out when there's room on the next flight an hour later.
Thanks, PT! Im gonna call them up right now, what exactly kind of compensation should I be asking them if you were me?? Believe me, Ill ask for the kind of compensation this situation is worth!

-j
Old Jul 12, 09, 4:41 pm

Thanks, PT! Im gonna call them up right now, what exactly kind of compensation should I be asking them if you were me?? Believe me, Ill ask for the kind of compensation this situation is worth!

-j
Who exactly are going to call?

Secondly, $600 seems to be the dollar amount for bumps for than 6-8 hours.
Old Jul 12, 09, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UAX_Brasilia View Post
Who exactly are going to call?

Secondly, $600 seems to be the dollar amount for bumps for than 6-8 hours.
Ill try to get ahold of a CSR agent -- or somebody from PR Exec. I just hang up on reservations and they said my new ticket actually says "Involuntary" - so I believe per United's record, I was IDB'd. I didn't ask for anything cuz I want to know your guys' insights and then I'll call them back again and tell them what I want.

-jasp

Search this Thread
Search Engine: