Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Breaks Guitars - YouTube Video

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2011, 10:25 pm

Programs: UA: 1P; Bonvoy: Gold; IHG: Plat; HH: Silver; DL, AA: Gen. Member
The bad PR continues! The United Breaks Guitars video was a question today in Jeopardy. It was answered correctly by the IBM Watson supercomputer. Even Watson knows about it!
Old Feb 16, 2011, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA, AA, SPG
and around 10 million households now know it (or were reminded of it)...
Old Feb 17, 2011, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by Zone1
Even Watson knows about it!
It couldn't figure out that Toronto was not a US City, but Watson knew that "United breaks guitars".

-David
Old Feb 25, 2011, 7:38 am

the hostility in some of the posts in this thread is breathtaking. Dave Carroll has been called a liar without the fisrt shred of evidence being offered, called a fool for checking the guitar when the choice to do otherwise was not his, called a "douchbag" for seeking restitution when the publicity hurt the airline.....and most of the abuse is being hurled, I'd guess, by elite flyers teavelling on the corporate dime who would declare war over the wrong shaped ice cubes in first class.
can we remind ourselves- contary to an earlier rant, the guitar was in a hard case and not damaged by turbulence it was vandalised by united baggage handlers. they are paid by passengers like Mr Carroll to treat their property with appropriate respect and playing "catch" does not come under that.
the idea that a $3500 guitar should never be checked is ludicrous. All that's needed is professional behaviour from the handlers and that clearly wasn't the case here. the guitar should have been replaced out of their wages and they should then have been fired.

The airline only partly learned their lesson. In a recent simmilar situation a guitar of mine was clearly vandalised and a microphone stolen by staff at ORD. the UA rep in YYZ expressed outrage and blamed the TSA and was actually told by a collegue NOT to give me a contact number since "it was TSA". Doubting her story I demanded the number and got it despite her denying the possibility of responsibility since "our guys work under surveillance"- which had the TSA in Chicago bemused as "so, do ours- I'll check the footage". United dismissed as ridiculous the suggestion that they do likewise when TSA confirmed they had the guitar for 2 minutes and didnt even open it. An "investigation" came to the conclusion that they had no responsibility for the guitar as it was fragile and none for the mic as it was electronic. I pointed out that similar logic would absolve me if I took a sledgehammer to one of their aircraft.
I went to the police and filed a criminal damage and theft complaint and THEN they moved.

the attacks on a passenger treated like dirt by an airline here are shameful.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 7:43 am

mcmonster, agreeed. There are far too many apologists here who are very quick to defend UA at the drop of a hat ... it happens quite a lot and is rather annoying

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.