Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA wants agents to pay credit card fees

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2009, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
I don't know what the sales upgrade refers to, but the TAs do get commission, albeit significantly smaller than they have seen in the past. I'm not sure I'd buy the comment, and believe its easier for them to explain their fee using that approach. Reality is those TA fees were created to supplement their fees when the commissions were drastically cut by the airlines, and it too will never go away.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.55MM Lifetime Premier Gold, AA Exec. Plt., NW MM(875K on DL), MC Gold, HH Diamond, SPG, HY GP
Will these cc processing fees be charged not only to travel agencies, but to all customers? Oh, maybe I shouldn't give the bean counters any ideas.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 8:28 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by JoeTravel
Will these cc processing fees be charged not only to travel agencies, but to all customers? Oh, maybe I shouldn't give the bean counters any ideas.
For another take, David Rowell, the "Travel Insider," whose free newsletter I receive weekly, raises an alarm about this in his most recent issue. Scroll down the page and look under the heading Dinosaur Watching.

[excerpt]

But this new arrangement, soon to be introduced by United, would require the travel agency to establish their own independent merchant account with the credit card companies, and also would require the travel agency to somehow absorb the credit card company's fee (which, due to a travel agency's smaller size, is likely to be more than that negotiated by an airline). In the $300 example, the fee might increase to $9 (ie about 3%), but the airline now expects to get the entire $300 from the travel agency.

Now, let's think about this carefully. If the travel agency earns no commission from issuing you a ticket, how can they pay for the credit card fee? Clearly, they can't. So, guess who will now pay for this? Yes, you. So instead of paying $300 and the airline getting $294, now you'll pay $309 (or more) and the airline will get $300.

So United seeks to become a business that not only does not pay other companies to sell/distribute its product, but also seeks to not have to pay the credit card fees associated with selling its products either. Lucky United.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 9:01 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by GoingAway
I don't know what the sales upgrade refers to,
Sales upgrade is a type of SWU UA gives to TA, which can be applied to C/D/Y/B fare. If the agent uses a sales upgrade when issuing a ticket, he won't get any commission. Therefore, I will pay a separate agent fee to cover the loss of commission.

http://www.united.com/page/article/0...ypesofupgrades
Old Jun 26, 2009, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by oldmonster
Sales upgrade is a type of SWU UA gives to TA, which can be applied to C/D/Y/B fare. If the agent uses a sales upgrade when issuing a ticket, he won't get any commission. Therefore, I will pay a separate agent fee to cover the loss of commission.

http://www.united.com/page/article/0...ypesofupgrades
It's actually this page http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,53068,00.html and I don't see how use of this in anyway changes the TAs commission structure .... I still believe it's a line and the fee is for their service, irrespective of the type of upgrade/ticket.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.55MM Lifetime Premier Gold, AA Exec. Plt., NW MM(875K on DL), MC Gold, HH Diamond, SPG, HY GP
Thanks to Fredd for shedding the light on this. We had all better be prepared.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by GoingAway
It's actually this page http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,53068,00.html and I don't see how use of this in anyway changes the TAs commission structure .... I still believe it's a line and the fee is for their service, irrespective of the type of upgrade/ticket.
I am not going to argue on whether the TA get the commission when she applies the cert. I am not a TA myself and I believe the relationship between a customer and a TA is based on trust. If I doubt her honest, I will go to .bomb or some other agents.

I agree that UA could potentially save on the merchant's fee if they require agents to charge customers on their own for tickets with commission. However, I do think at the end customers are picking up the tab.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I'm not sure what the big deal is.....doesn't this just make it like any other industry. If I buy a sony television from Best Buy, I use a credit card, and Best Buy pays the processiong fee. Now, it will be the same way for travel agencies and UA tickets, correct?

Seems more like a backend change, that will likely have little, if any effect for pax. If I buy a ticket from a TA, I'll still get charged a fee by them, just like before. And the fares will still incorporate the credit card fee charges. Because whether or not we realize it, before or after this change, we were all paying the credit card fees as part of the fare anyway.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 10:53 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA PLT
Originally Posted by JoeTravel
The question isn't whether to or not to do anything. I simply wonder how bad things are at United. Should we be worried? This announcement comes the same week as they are furloughing more flight attendants.
Well, let's see....$3 per share UAUA stock, multi-million dollar quarterly losses, entire 737 fleet parked, upcoming union negotiations in January, oil prices rising, shrinking route network, UX taking over more and more domestic flying....

Yes, we should be worried.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by kenhawk
entire 737 fleet parked,
Interesting, I have a Sept 4 UA381 segment still listed as 733.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA PLT
Interesting, I have a Sept 4 UA381 segment still listed as 733.
They'll be running until Mid October and then will become part of the desert landscape.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 12:15 am

Programs: UA MP 1K ,AAEXP, Dollar, Marriott Gold,Hertz Gold,SIXT Platnium, CBP Global Entry,Starwood Gold
I still did not get the point. The amount I paid is the same as the one I should pay if I book on .bomb. UA charged my credit card directly. Any difference to UA? I am paying the agent fee instead of UA paying commission.
UHHHH, airlines stoped paying commission's to TA's about, oh 9 years ago...
Old Jun 27, 2009, 1:00 am

Programs: AA Gold, DL Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold, too many cruise programs to list
Originally Posted by emcampbe
I'm not sure what the big deal is.....doesn't this just make it like any other industry. If I buy a sony television from Best Buy, I use a credit card, and Best Buy pays the processiong fee. Now, it will be the same way for travel agencies and UA tickets, correct?
Not quite. Best Buy purchases the TV at a wholesale price and sells it at retail, thus earning a profit from which the credit card charges are deducted along with the other costs of business.

In the scenario United is floating, it would be as if Best Buy were having to pay the TV manufacturer retail + 3% in order to sell the TV at retail. And the consumer could still purchase the TV direct from the manufacturer at retail. Guess who goes out of business or has to charge an even higher premium for their service?

It's interesting to note that the airlines have not actually benefitted from removing commissions on most domestic fares, as using travel agents helped the distribution channel and lowered the costs overall to the airlines by reducing customer service costs. In fact, some international airlines (and even a couple domestic) are playing around at reinstating commissions on a limited basis.

On international fares, there are still some commissions and overrides to be had.

Full disclaimer: I am a travel agent, albeit a non-ticketing one (I specialize in cruises and only do air when necessary and only for international itineraries using either the online sites or consolidators). Therefore, I don't have dog in this fight, but am still affected as airlines continue to seek short-term solutions which ultimately backfire in their long-term profitability and other travel vendors mistakenly follow suit.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 1:25 am

Usually you pay bulk fare price when buying from agent. It's already low compare to .bomb
Thus they don't want to lose revenue more.

What's the difference to UA (at least in my case)? They get the same amount (same fare with same CC merchant fee). I chatted with my agent and she told me she could not get commission from UA when applying the sales upgrade on the ticket. Therefore, I paid a separate agent fee. It seems to me that booking through TA and booking on .bomb are indifferential to UA as long as UA does not pay the agent commission, which is true in my case. If UA needs to pay the commission to the agent, it then makes sense that UA wants to stop the practice.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by phoenixgck
Usually you pay bulk fare price when buying from agent. It's already low compare to .bomb Thus they don't want to lose revenue more.
Good point. If you're an agent who sells bulk or discounted fares under an arrangement with United, I'm thinking you can already mark them up however you want and cover your costs of doing business (now apparently including card fees) there. So the Best Buy argument is valid for some agents and not for others.

On the whole consumer side it just occurred to me - how many of us get 1% cash back or work for a company that gets a rebate for card use? I do. So the airline is probably thinking "why pay Visa $2 on a $100 ticket so they can give the customer $1?" As much as we don't want additional fees - somebody has to pay for that right?

This could get interesting.

Last edited by NWILGuy; Jun 27, 2009 at 8:47 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.