UAL found my headset...what now?

Old Jun 30, 09, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat.
UAL found my headset...what now?

About 3 weeks ago I left my Bose headset in a seatback pocket on an aircraft in DEN, while on my way to ORD. I had given it as being gone for good when I was surprised by a voicemail from "Lost Articles" in Denver letting me know that they'd found my headset. I've now called the number they provided me 23 times, at different times of the day, without actually speaking to a live human being...I have left messages letting them know they can call me back at ANY time, with no response.

Does anyone else have suggestions on who else to call or what else to do? I know that I'm just a Premier Exec, so not really of much concern to UA and I also know its completely my fault that I left the headset in my seatpocket following the 3rd aircraft change during my 6 hour weather and mechanical delay in DEN...but it's getting a little ludicrous that nobody is returning my call.

Any suggestions on other options would be very welcome!
Old Jun 30, 09, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver
Last time I tried to deal with L&F (in ORD), I was pretty sure that there isn't really a place you can call to speak to someone there, it is just a machine that you left a message on, and had to wait for a call back. Of course, I never got one, and they never found the item.

Are you going to be flying to/through DEN anytime soon? I would suspect this might be the best way to talk to someone.
Old Jun 30, 09, 11:25 am
Original Poster

No, unfortunately I don't have any plans to go through Denver at the moment...although that could change. (My travel plans are usually last minute.)

Does anyone know how long they keep items before disposing them? I'd assume 30 or 45 days.
Old Jun 30, 09, 11:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
I would just call and leave the instructions on how to send tham back to you (rather the just leave a phone number to call back).
Old Jun 30, 09, 11:51 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, UA Premier, Hilton Gold
Was the original call from United or from someone at the Denver airport? If the later, I would suggest just calling the main Denver airport information desk and explaining the situation to them.
Old Jun 30, 09, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now what? I'd buy a lottery ticket, because I've never heard of someone leaving something like that on a plane and getting it back.
Old Jun 30, 09, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, B6 Mosaic
Wink

WOW!! I mean WOW!! UA actually called to let you know they found something you left on a plane?? Miracles do happen!!

Of course, if UA is really acting like UA, this was just a crank call from one of the aircraft cleaners to rub in the fact that they found your headset but plan to keep it.
Old Jun 30, 09, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by LessO2 View Post
Now what? I'd buy a lottery ticket, because I've never heard of someone leaving something like that on a plane and getting it back.
Got back a laptop I left on a United plane during a MR while connecting in AMS. Thanks to KLM staff for doing the legwork for United to get this item back while there wasn't a person from United to be found. I suspect if this had happened at AMS, I could have repurchased my old laptop from ebay.
Old Jun 30, 09, 4:12 pm

Not hopeful

Dropped my cellphone in DEN RCC last Nov; someone picked it up, called me to say he was turning it in at RCC; I called there, matron located it & identified it as mine (name engraved on it), said she'd send it to UAL&F, & told me how to contact them. 15 calls to L&F not returned (detailed info left each time) + several repeat calls to RCC -- no records kept re disposal of 'left' items. Never got it back & yes, I did try L&F the next time I was in Den (& the time after that): total stonewall. 'Only' a $100 phone & no calls made before I canceled it.

Related: a couple years ago I bought two sets of Bose headphones on eBay & 'seller' shipped them to me -- using a UA FedEx account! Probably left on plane.

Let us know if you get them back!
Old Jun 30, 09, 4:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Try calling baggage services at DEN, perhaps.

Originally Posted by blueman2 View Post
WOW!! I mean WOW!! UA actually called to let you know they found something you left on a plane?? Miracles do happen!!

Of course, if UA is really acting like UA, this was just a crank call from one of the aircraft cleaners to rub in the fact that they found your headset but plan to keep it.
My cell phone fell out of my bag in the gate area at CRW a few years ago, and the airport staff and UAX staff worked together to get it back to me. They had called a couple of my family contacts in the phone's address book to see if they could find who owned the phone, and then arranged to put it on the next flight to IAD, where I could pick it up at baggage (they boxed it up to go on the flight). ^

Now, dealing with IAD baggage claim was another matter entirely...
Old Jun 30, 09, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by exerda View Post
My cell phone fell out of my bag in the gate area at CRW a few years ago, and the airport staff and UAX staff worked together to get it back to me. They had called a couple of my family contacts in the phone's address book to see if they could find who owned the phone, and then arranged to put it on the next flight to IAD, where I could pick it up at baggage (they boxed it up to go on the flight). ^
I know from a friend who works for United that this goes against United SOP and those that returned the phone to you (without sending it to L&F) could be reprimanded. She doesn't know why this is the case, but it is in the Employee Handbook.
Old Jun 30, 09, 7:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
I once received a call from L&F at ORD to say they had found my lost cellphone. I also tried calling them back but never got an answer, and when I showed up at their office (in Baggage Claim area T1), they couldn't find it and claimed that someone must have already picked it up.
Old Jun 30, 09, 8:17 pm

I was in the same boat recently with a wallet that vanished while I was in ORD. Got a call from UAL that the item had been found, and was told to call back and let them know how I wanted it returned to me. Called from overseas daily for 10 days, and emailed the same amount. I finally sent an email to 1k voice.

Figure out the premex equivalent, even if it's just regular CS, ---send an email, and make sure to include the item number that the agent gave you in the phone message. Explain all the effort that you've put into trying to reach the agent who called, but you're not getting ANY response. And if you're about to head out on another trip, explain you need those headphones. I ended up giving them my fedex number, and things were sorted out quickly.

good luck!
Old Jul 2, 09, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Smile

^

Success!

Made about 25 phone calls yesterday and spoke with a lovely lady in baddage services who let me know that the regular lost & found person had been out sick and the Service Director was going through 180 back logged phone messages and would contact me as soon as he could.

Got a call late afternoon from the SD confirming my name, address and asking for a FedEx account number and...voila! Headset arrived safe and sound 40 minutes ago.

Still a frustrating experience overall, but am glad they finally came through in the end.
Old Jul 2, 09, 10:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS/1K MM, Delta Plat, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold
I've had good luck as well

About a year ago I left a journal in a seat-back on arrival in SEA. As I was driving away in a rental car, got a call from a GA who rec'd it from the cleaning crew. Certainly a justification for a kudos note/employee recognition chit.

It may have helped that I always tape a buisness card with my mobile number on the inside cover.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: