Op-Up

Old Jun 29, 09, 10:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Op-Up

As some of you may have read in the past, my son loves to fly and has this thing with always wanting to be in F. To review he is 8 years old, so he has short legs and doesn't drink alcohol. So his big thing with being in F is that he can, "Have two cokes".

Well today we get to CLE for his flight to DEN: Flight 6133 Direct. As we approach the GA he recognizes my son and I and tells me he is at capacity and then tells me he has to move a few people up. So he tore up my sons BP and reissues the F one. Of course my son was excited and after he got on the plane, as reported by the GA, he was very thankful and happy with his seat.

I know the questions will come:

He was booked in a low non-refundable E class.
Originally assigned to 4B (E+) and moved to 1A
He is a Premier Associate
Does about 19,000 miles a year (Unaccompanied) and a few additional with me.
There were others who also were upgraded but I am unaware of their status.

Anyhow I thought I would share this with you... I think it is great that the 8 year old caught the Op-Up.
Old Jun 29, 09, 10:54 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by Flight_Medic View Post
As some of you may have read in the past, my son loves to fly and has this thing with always wanting to be in F. To review he is 8 years old, so he has short legs and doesn't drink alcohol. So his big thing with being in F is that he can, "Have two cokes".

Well today we get to CLE for his flight to DEN: Flight 6133 Direct. As we approach the GA he recognizes my son and I and tells me he is at capacity and then tells me he has to move a few people up. So he tore up my sons BP and reissues the F one. Of course my son was excited and after he got on the plane, as reported by the GA, he was very thankful and happy with his seat.

Anyhow I thought I would share this with you... I think it is great that the 8 year old caught the Op-Up.
No such thing as a "low" E ticket. E is the money maker. Very low discount, and high fares. E is what I usually opug myself. His status is gifted, not earned, but it still shows up as status and to those agentswho have no clue as to what a prem asst is, they may think he is almost a 2p (remember the old "prem emeritus"? I bet many agents think they are 1 and the same.)

Was his fare the "EBIZN"? If so, that is the new BUA (not so new either, and non refundable.)
Old Jun 29, 09, 11:02 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by fastair View Post
No such thing as a "low" E ticket.
I'd be willing to bet that the OP meant "Economy class."
Old Jun 29, 09, 11:09 pm

or E-fare (L class?)
Old Jun 29, 09, 11:20 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by nebratu View Post
or E-fare (L class?)
Regardless of the Fare Basis lets think about that 8 year old whom the GA made his day!! I think that is fantastic..
Old Jun 29, 09, 11:33 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by cepheid View Post
I'd be willing to bet that the OP meant "Economy class."

I bet you are right, now that you mention it. Sometimes I just see the forrest and not the trees.
Old Jun 30, 09, 12:00 am

Programs: MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Thumbs up

At this rate, he'll hit 1MM by the time he is 58! But, if you get him up to 25,000 per year, he'll get it by 48.

OR, you get him to 100,000 per year, and by the time he is 58 he'll have 5MM!
Old Jun 30, 09, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Mods: this thread needs to be re-titled to: 1K not op-uped, but a 3P is; what compensation should I request?

You are leaving the lad only 6K miles short of 2P each year! Ghastly!

Seriously, a great story. I had my first op-up (on NW) when I was 16 (oversold economy cabin, checked in late).
Old Jun 30, 09, 8:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Platinum, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 *
It probably was a combination of the GA recognizing him, status and being an unaccompanied minor (e.g., lessening the time for the FA to off-load him). Congrats to your son! Makes me wish I was 8.
Old Jun 30, 09, 9:49 am

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by uchuuace View Post
At this rate, he'll hit 1MM by the time he is 58! But, if you get him up to 25,000 per year, he'll get it by 48.

OR, you get him to 100,000 per year, and by the time he is 58 he'll have 5MM!
Pathetically, I have actually made this calculation for my 2 yo. He is currently at about 50k lifetime BIS. At the current rate, he'll be 40 when he hits 1MM, but I imagine that his travel will ramp up as he gets older, just as it has for his parents....I just hope it still means something, and that UA is still around, when he makes it!
Old Jun 30, 09, 9:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by mre5765 View Post
You are leaving the lad only 6K miles short of 2P each year! Ghastly!
True! I guess we'll soon need a forum for the special needs of 8 year olds on mileage runs
Old Jun 30, 09, 10:15 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Sometimes, the RIGHT person gets the op-up as in this case.....

Great story! Good think United does not serve Pepsi.
Old Jul 1, 09, 10:03 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
Oh how sweet - way to go for him ^. My daughter misses out on 2p some years by a measly 2000 miles, other years, she has made it to elite status.

MR forum for the under 15yrs - yes we need it (we are contemplating that very thing right now ).

Mum hat on now - eek COKE at aged 8...lots of caffeine in coke, not recommended for children. Does he like 7up (that has no caffeine it it)? .

Mum hat off .
Old Jul 1, 09, 10:39 am

Programs: United Milage Plus, Delta Silver, Marriott Silver, Hertz #1 Gold
If you nicely ask the FA after a while for another drink, you might get it. Especially if you're in the back for a bathroom break already and ask there. Of course some FAs may mother a kid that flies by themselves a little and cut them off from the sugar.

BTW, I inquired about UA only accepting credit cards for snacks and alcohol. I inquired what would happen if a child did not happen to have a credit card for a snack purchase. The FA later informed me that he found out their card machine has a button for kids (cash purchases?). So I guess the credit/debit card policy isn't totally set in stone.
Old Jul 1, 09, 10:49 am

Programs: LH and BA

If it had been an international overnight flight I had been impressed ....

But I like that he is an UM

Search this Thread
Search Engine: