Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Anybody ever upgrade a MP award seat on LH with a SWU?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2009, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K 2.2MM

i have a biz seat using MP mile on LH. Think there is any reason to bring a SWU paper along and ask about standby to FC?
Old Jun 29, 2009, 6:40 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
No. It's worth less than the paper it's printed on to any airline other than UA.

There are Star Alliance upgrade options, but they require you be on a paid ticket....
http://www.united.com/starallianceupgradeawards
Old Jun 29, 2009, 7:01 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat, Amex Plat, CSP. FAA Rotorcraft PPL
PHL: I would assume OP is referring to the SWUs converted to LH paper upgrade certs, which are worth a lot on LH. I do not have an answer to OPs specific question though.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
That's right - a paper SWU allows an upgrade on a standby basis on LH flights. I assume its not the case on an award ticket, but wondering if tis enforced as sometimes the paper SWUs are confusing to use anyway.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 8:49 pm
aau

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, IHG Ambassador
The award booking classes are explicitly disallowed in the terms and conditions printed on the cert.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
i have a biz seat using MP mile on LH. Think there is any reason to bring a SWU paper along and ask about standby to FC?
I was shocked to find this on www.united.com:

MP C awards book into I.

Upgrades on Lufthansa may not be confirmed in advance and are on standby basis only. You must present the paper certificate when checking in for your Lufthansa flight. Paper certificates may not be used on the following booking classes: X/I/R/N/E/S/W systemwide.Note that booking classes L and T are also not valid for upgrades when flying within Europe.
http://www.united.com/page/article/0...8,00.html#jump
Old Jul 1, 2009, 3:53 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
I was flying FRA-PDX last fall and had 2 printed SWU with me. My wife was on award ticket and I was in H. I asked to upgrade us and they only had one seat -- which they did from my paid ticket (and I gave it to my wife) -- but they never said "no" due to her award ticket.

Last month I was flying PDX-FRA on an award ticket in Y with my wife and son. I wondered, like you, if it would be worth carrying the SWU just in case. I didn't have them printed but then we were op-upped to C due to an aircraft substitution!
Old Jul 1, 2009, 5:47 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by PHL
No. It's worth less than the paper it's printed on to any airline other than UA.
Hogwash Paper SWU can be used on LH and this is not a new thing....
Old Jul 1, 2009, 5:53 pm

You can always ask...the worst case is that they say "no."
Old Jul 1, 2009, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FlyMan
You can always ask...the worst case is that they say "no."
Absolutely, though both times I have used SWUs to upgrade on LH the agents have scrupulously examined the T&Cs.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
i believe that if you're using mile for a biz seat (on UA or other *A carriers) I think the only way you can upgrade it using a SWU is if you're a GS member.

could be wrong, that's just what i've heard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.