Z fare question

Old Jun 29, 09, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Question Z fare question

Good rt Z fare SEA-SYD; I've done H to NC many times, but nothing available within weeks of 2010 travel dates. Here's my question: Z fare rules state add-ons not allowed & I'm traveling directly from SYD to AKL. I've no problem buying a SYD-AKL-SYD ticket, but will I be able to ck baggage through SEA-AKL & AKL-SEA w/ 2 distinct tickets (SEA-SYD-SEA & SYD-AKL-SYD)?

And related, should I buy SYD-AKL as *code-share off .bomb or from NZ directly? In the past, on H-class SEA-SYD-AKL I bought a separate ticket (from NZ site) AKL-TRG & ckd stuff through SEA-TRG (of course did customs in AKL & then just wheeled it to transfer desk). Guess I've got a lot to learn abt Z fares as I expect to buy lots of them once new redemption rules kick in.

Thanks for any advice!
Old Jun 29, 09, 11:35 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
You shouldn't have any problem checking your bags through, even on 2 separate PNRs. I have done this without issue.

Unless buy the ticket as a code-share saves you big money, I would buy it directly from NZ. Remember though, it is a separate ticket, so leave yourself a good amount of connect time should there be delays or other IROPS. Or buy an NZ ticket that has good flexibility.
Old Jun 30, 09, 9:15 am

Programs: Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Nevermind - think I found the fare and end on end and other combinations are not permitted either....
Old Jun 30, 09, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Unless I'm missing something, I'd go ahead and buy the two tickets, one from UA and the other from NZ.

When you get to the airport just have them check your bags through, I don't think they have any interest (or time) in figuring out the exact nature of your ticket purchases at that point, they're only dealing with checking the bag onto two flights.
Old Jun 30, 09, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

further query

You're all confirming what I thought likely. Don't anticipate baggage problem outbound, but wonder if ckng in E on NZ in AKL will deny me the baggage allowance I'd get w/ Z SYD-SEA; I'm *G so can ck in VIP Koru Club if that helps.

Only reason to buy SYD-AKL-SYD on .bomb (vs NZ site) is possibility of somehow linking tkts enough to leverage mercy in case of excessive outbound delay. Thought an FTer might have suggestions.
Old Jun 30, 09, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by MaryHillyer View Post
You're all confirming what I thought likely. Don't anticipate baggage problem outbound, but wonder if ckng in E on NZ in AKL will deny me the baggage allowance I'd get w/ Z SYD-SEA; I'm *G so can ck in VIP Koru Club if that helps.
http://www.airnewzealand.com/before-...in-baggage.htm
Old Jun 30, 09, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

still unsure

I'm too well aware of NZ baggage rules (why I'm hoping for definitive answer). What rule will apply in this case: ckin at AKL w/ 2 tkts -- 1 is NZ E fare AKL-SYD & 1 is (same day) UA Z fare SYD-SEA. I am *G.

In the past on H-upgrades rt SEA-SYD-AKL-SYD-SEA (SYD-AKL-SYD portion in S class), I have always ckd 3 pieces each way no problem; maybe no problem w/ 2 tkts either, but would like to be sure. W/ family upover & downunder I don't get to travel 'light'.
Old Jul 1, 09, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by MaryHillyer View Post
I'm too well aware of NZ baggage rules (why I'm hoping for definitive answer)
Then perhaps you should call NZ if you aren't satisfied with the answers you are getting here.
Old Jul 1, 09, 6:27 am

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
OP, my instinct, reading the rules, is that you'll be fine, due to the interline agreements between NZ and UA, as long as the tickets are issued in conjunction with each other. You may wish to PM Jeff (jswong) as he lives in Wellington and has surely dealt with this before. Safe travels!

Pat

Search this Thread
Search Engine: