FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   why are certain D and E seats blocked on A319 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/969444-why-certain-d-e-seats-blocked-a319.html)

poohhead80 Jun 28, 2009 12:58 am

why are certain D and E seats blocked on A319

Just curious..

I checked flights next March and April...

Every A319 between ATL and ORD... 6 seats are blocked..
:confused:

Any idea?

COpltASgldPHX Jun 28, 2009 1:10 am

Seats for passengers with special needs. All airlines block certain seats for that purpose.

VA1379 Jun 28, 2009 2:21 am

I know at a certain point the seat blocks come off, but I forgot the exact time before each flight.

MatthewLAX Jun 28, 2009 2:52 am

Sounds like a system glitch to me, though I could be wrong.

I often choose 6D when on flying on A319 and have never found the seat "blocked" before, to my knowledge.

Diplomatico Jun 28, 2009 7:28 am

I regularly see 6DE blocked on both A319s and A320s. Frustrating when you're booking well in advance of the date of flying.

TimInSF Jun 28, 2009 7:45 am

Originally Posted by Diplomatico (Post 11980965)
I regularly see 6DE blocked on both A319s and A320s. Frustrating when you're booking well in advance of the date of flying.

In my experience 6D&E are Lways blocked until 24 hours before the flight. Very frustrating since row 6 has the most legroom in the Y cabin.

Tim

FrequentPlaneTraveler Jun 28, 2009 8:19 am

Originally Posted by poohhead80 (Post 11980385)
Just curious..

I checked flights next March and April...

Every A319 between ATL and ORD... 6 seats are blocked..
:confused:

Any idea?

The 6DE seats are blocked for handicapped accessible seating. You'll find that certain bulkhead seats in economy cabins on just about all UA aircraft as well as UAX aircraft are blocked off for this reason.

The other seats are not handicapped seating but I've found that UA does that on most of their aircraft as well. They hold a few seats towards the back until close in to departure.

All those seats including the handicapped seats (if they haven't already been assigned) get released at 24 hours prior to departure.

FrequentPlaneTraveler Jun 28, 2009 8:22 am

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX (Post 11980519)
Sounds like a system glitch to me, though I could be wrong.

Its one thing that is not actually a glitch.

Originally Posted by Diplomatico (Post 11980965)

While row 6 is nice, disabled pax do need a place to sit that easy to get in and out of as well as close to the front of the plane. So think about the disabled pax that needs that bit of "accomodation" and don't get too frustrated.

blueone Jun 28, 2009 2:02 pm

From what I've heard, Row 6 is blocked for Handicap access ( I've seen people with motor disabilities seated in that row), while the last row is blocked maybe to allow for potential prisoner transport.

roberto99 Jun 28, 2009 6:42 pm

Actually it's more than just needing bit of "accomodation".

Having been a part of a few boardings and deboardings with a pax that needed an aislechair (the very narrow wheelchair that just fits down an airplane aisle), it's MUCH easier to get the physically challenged pax in/out of the bulkhead aisle seat.

The center seat (6E) goes to the lucky pax that my be flying with the special needs pax.

Yes, the unreserved seats get released at 24 hours out.

PDXPremier Jul 17, 2011 2:55 pm

Why are 7DE on the A319/A320 always occupied?

As a frequent row 6 (now row 7) guy, I've been noticing in the past few months that seats 7DE are always shoing occupied, even months before the flight and even if the other row 7 seats are empty. Are these seats really occupied or is this some new form of seat blocking that United is starting on the airbus twins? Maybe for handicapped passengers?? That's the only thing I can think of since it's not the entire first row (like they always block on the CRJ200).

WineCountryUA Jul 17, 2011 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier (Post 16745042)
.... Maybe for handicapped passengers??

yes

7DE was 6DE

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...cked-a319.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...d-seatmap.html

PDXPremier Jul 17, 2011 3:34 pm

Odd that some of the posts about these specific blocked seats (6DE) go back to 2009 but I've never noticed it being blocked back then and I have probably selected 6D in advance as well so I wondered if this was a new thing...maybe not.

demkr Jul 17, 2011 9:22 pm

Does this mean I should normally not select 7D? I am new so I am unfamiliar. I am on an A319 flight tomorrow..do they regularly move people who reserve this seat to accomodate other pax?

prestonh Jul 17, 2011 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by TimInSF (Post 11981023)
In my experience 6D&E are Lways blocked until 24 hours before the flight. Very frustrating since row 6 has the most legroom in the Y cabin.

Tim

no, frustrating is having to travel with a disability. I am (hopefully) temporarilly disabled and trust me the limited accomodations that are provided don't nearly make up for the hassels involved. Give the folks a break, they would certainly appreciate it.