Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

What's a really expensive domestic UA destination?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2002, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

A friend and I have some UA free-ticket bump vouchers. If we don't have a "legitimate" use for them before they expire, we may want to use them to fly somewhere that's out of the way and normally much too expensive to fly to. I was thinking one of those small local airports with no competition and normally exorbitant airfares.

Any suggestions? Cool stuff nearby is a plus.

Restrictions on voucher: UA/UX only, no codeshares (this eliminates Key West!), V or W class only.
Old Jan 22, 2002, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold
Why not fly to Kona, Hawaii? Spend some time at the beach/on the golf course/in the jungle/on the volcanos... just a thought.

Whatever you end up doing - enjoy!

Mizu
Old Jan 22, 2002, 4:25 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pynchonesque:

Any suggestions? Cool stuff nearby is a plus.

</font>
Nearby to what? Where do you live?
Old Jan 22, 2002, 4:29 pm

I've always thought an interesting place to go to for a free flight would be Devil's Lake, ND (DVL). Very out of the way on the UA route map--it's one of the only places I can think of in the continental US that would require four segments to get to from SFO (SFO-DEN/ORD-MSP-JMS (Jamestown, ND)-DVL). Currently $714 RT SFO-DVL. From looking at local web sites, it looks like there's lodges to stay in, fishing, hunting, etc. I'm not sure I'd ever make it to North Dakota under normal circumstances, but I've always been intrigued by this oddity on the UA route system.
Old Jan 22, 2002, 5:30 pm
mph

Programs: No status
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JS:
Nearby to what? Where do you live?</font>
Surely he means nearby to whatever small airport he flies to.
Old Jan 22, 2002, 5:55 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
You can't use these for Hawaii/Alaska (more fine print). They also require a 14 day advance purchase.
Old Jan 22, 2002, 6:11 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
&lt;&lt; Surely he means nearby to whatever small airport he flies to. &gt;&gt;

Oops, a little misinterpretation on my part.

Let's see, there's LYH (Lynchburg, VA), where I used to live. I could have sworn UA flew IAD-LYH, but I just checked the schedule, and it's not there! ROA (Roanoke) and CHO (Charlottesville) are nearby. Plenty of history in Virginia if you're into that. My favorite is Appomattox, to the east of Lynchburg; to the northwest, there's the Peaks of Otter near Buena Vista. It's not difficult to climb to the summit, yet has great views of the Blue Ridge Mountains to the west and the valley to the east.

I haven't been to PGA (Page, AZ) or CNY (Moab, Canyonlands, UT), but that sounds interesting. A B1900 operated by GLA flies PHX-PGA-CNY-DEN and the reverse.

[This message has been edited by JS (edited 01-22-2002).]
Old Jan 22, 2002, 6:57 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
Some of UA's North Dakota destinations are very steep. Devils Lake and Jamestown were mentioned. I would also try Dickinson, ND (DIK) which is served by UX from DEN. If you like National Parks, Dickinson is the closest jumping off point to Theodore Roosevelt National Park in western ND.
Old Jan 22, 2002, 7:00 pm

Hardford to San Francisco on the UA non-stop is outrageous in the summertime.

1 United Airlines
Flight 289
Airbus A319 Jun 22 7:00 am Hartford-Springfield, CT (BDL) 10:18 am San Francisco, CA (SFO) Coach

2 United Airlines
Flight 288
Airbus A319 Jun 30 11:30 am San Francisco, CA (SFO) 7:56 pm Hartford-Springfield, CT (BDL) Coach

Your Original Choice per person - 654.00 USD
Old Jan 22, 2002, 7:55 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
Is it possible that your goal is fuzzy. Why would you want to take a flight based on its cost, rather than the basis where you would like to go (that is covered)?

A free meal at a diner would not send me to the price column but to the menu items to choose one I would really like to have.

It does seem like a fun, while questionable, exercise in search and find.
Old Jan 22, 2002, 8:00 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Go spend some time in Bluff, Utah. Wonderful place. Fly very expensively into Cortez, Farmington or Moab.
Old Jan 22, 2002, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

ranles,

the objective is cost not because i get more enjoyment out of an expensive place, but that i enjoy all different kinds of places, and would like to visit the cheaper ones with cash, and the more expensive ones with vouchers.

as for the sfo-bdl nonstop, i actually thought about that one (as i sometimes do sjc-iad-bdl for "legitimate" purposes), but i can't seem to find it anymore?

thanks again for all the suggestions. there is more choice than i had thought.
Old Jan 23, 2002, 6:41 am
fparker1

lax-mco non-stop is over $2k for full fare. is that expensive enough for you?

Old Jan 23, 2002, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
I'd go to Vegas.

Oh wait, you mean expensive to fly to, not expensive once you're there! Nevermind!

[This message has been edited by skofarrell (edited 01-23-2002).]
Old Jan 23, 2002, 7:20 am
Original Member

You could be one of the last people to pay $2500 to fly Chicago-Seattle on United. With Southwest entering that market, full fare ticket competition will drop about 80%.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.