Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

What's a really expensive domestic UA destination?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's a really expensive domestic UA destination?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2002, 8:09 am

Programs: UA 1P
Why not try the IAD-SFO shuttle. Roundtrip full fare clocks in at over $2500. If you can get miles out of the deal, it's worth something at least.
Old Jan 23, 2002, 9:56 am
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
The free ticket is not a "full fare", it's V or W basis, and a 14 day advance purchase.

I can see where you would want to look for expensive places. The opportunity cost of using the free ticket to LAS instead of CHO is significant ($200 vs. $650 for a V/W fare from SFO). With the free ticket, you can say you've flown to CHO without having to shell out $650.
Old Jan 23, 2002, 10:12 am
Original Poster

JS, you understand me perfectly. I also get a kick out of flying into tiny airports on propeller planes.
Old Jan 23, 2002, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Just talked to the 1K desk. It seems that despite saying that it's valid on UX, it's not valid on UX.

It's not good for Devil's Lake or any of these other places, because the voucher says "Valid on United or United Express, No codeshares." But every United Express flight is a codeshare, right? So in fact it's not valid on United Express, right? Right, says the 1K rep.

Stickin' it to the man is more difficult than I had anticipated.
Old Jan 23, 2002, 10:31 am

Location: Southern California - UA1K, Delta GM, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, AA Platinum
I would try Miami or Key West if flying from the west coast or San Diego or San Francisco if coming from the east. Go someplace fun and warm. Also Palm Springs has full UA service in the winter (i believe). Good luck!!
Old Jan 23, 2002, 11:24 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Charleston, SC or Savannah, GA - the beach and coastal areas are great there.

Redmond, OR - Great skiing in the winter, hiking, camping, resorts in the summer.

If they are valid on Great Lakes code-share, there is Missoula and Bozeman, MT. If not, Billings.
Old Jan 23, 2002, 11:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pynchonesque:

It's not good for Devil's Lake or any of these other places, because the voucher says "Valid on United or United Express, No codeshares." But every United Express flight is a codeshare, right? So in fact it's not valid on United Express, right? Right, says the 1K rep.
</font>
You owe it to yourself to push this issue to the limit, as their reasoning is idiotic. "Valid on UX" clearly trumps "not valid on codeshares" -- you should let them know this much. As for the original question, Key West sounds pretty good to me as well.

Old Jan 23, 2002, 11:56 am

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Aspen :P

Telluride :P

Try getting there from *anywhere* in the country for under $600....

-nate
Old Jan 23, 2002, 12:00 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pynchonesque:
Just talked to the 1K desk. It seems that despite saying that it's valid on UX, it's not valid on UX.

</font>
Devil's Lake is not UX, it is a codeshare operated by Great Lakes Aviation. All GLA flights are codeshares now, different from UX.

There is something wrong if they won't let you use it for UX flights operated by SkyWest, Air Wisconsin or Atlantic Coast.
Old Jan 23, 2002, 12:09 pm

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum

</font>
Here's the deal. Yeah, when you get down to the nitty gritty, UAX flies as a codeshare, as they are not flights operated by United Airlines. But the ticket clearly says "Valid on United Airlines/United Express" which it is.

The problem you have, though, is that most of the destinations that have been discussed here (the ND ones, and I presume they are the ones you gave the 1K desk) are operated by Great Lakes Aviation. Lakes is no longer a UAX carrier, as they lost that "right" sometime last year for a couple of reasons. Since Lakes is no longer a UAX carrier, and your ticket is not good on codeshare flights, you cannot use it on Lakes. However, you can use it on UAX, and there are a few destinations in the Dakotas where a UAX carrier does fly, namely FSD (Sioux Falls, SD) and FAR (Fargo, ND) and maybe a couple of others.
Old Jan 23, 2002, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Dhast, exellent advice. Thank you.
Old Jan 23, 2002, 3:25 pm

Irrelevant post

[This message has been edited by Mikey likes it (edited 01-23-2002).]
Old Jan 23, 2002, 4:36 pm

Programs: I am an AS employee, but my comments do not represent the company in any official capacity.
A fun, generally expensive UA flight is into IYK. (Inyokern, CA) You will connect via LAX and as the little puddle jumper makes its way over Red Rock Canyon in the Mojave Desert you'll be knocked up and down and left and right by rising/cooling air.

It's a little over an hour and chances are fair to middlin' someone will barf. Once you are there, you can grab a Hertz rental car at the airport and check out the town of Ridgecrest, CA and the land locked Navy base. Inyokern Road is a good place to spot military aircraft. (I've seen SR-71, F-117, and B-2's there before) It's not too far to Mammoth, Death Valley, or even Las Vegas from Inyokern.

If you are crazy about bizarre destinations on prop planes, its worth a consideration.
Old Jan 23, 2002, 4:46 pm

Programs: 1K 2MM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by UAPremierExec:
Aspen :P

Telluride :P

Try getting there from *anywhere* in the country for under $600....

-nate
</font>
I agree that CO this time of year can often be a pricey destination. However, this winter, if you're flexible on your travel dates, you can get SEA-ASE for a little over $300.

[This message has been edited by nwff (edited 01-23-2002).]
Old Jan 23, 2002, 4:52 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
I had a bunch of clients pay $750 from Ft Lauderdale on UA... it would have been cheaper to just send them via Seattle, huh? :P

-nate

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.