Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

$1000s in expired coupons and not even an upgrade ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$1000s in expired coupons and not even an upgrade ?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2009, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by FreFly
The reason UA gives coupons with expiration dates, restrictions, and requirements like redeemable in person or by mail only is to make it likely that these will not be used. So it is not surprising that OP got nothing.
Most of these vouchers you got from UA like from complaints are sent from email with the code, so that you don't have to redeem in person or by mail. They have been doing this for a while now.

No matter what kind of business, not just airlines, they always have a time window for you to use vouchers, coupons, gift cards, or stuff you buy and you want to return it. This is just a standard practice of business. UA already give you a full year to use, I think it is more than enough, a lot of other business only give you several months to use before you loss the value.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by gaobest
.... This all said, even though the "loss" of these certs is not as financially big as OP's loss, I don't feel that I can blame anyone but myself...
Thank you for making this statement. I think the harsh replies in this thread have a lot to do with OP's tone, pointing fingers at UA as if it had dropped the ball. Many of us, yours truly included, are regular complainers of UA's customer service. But this isn't one of those cases. No, OP is the only one who dropped the ball, but they haven't demonstrated the responsibility like you have to own up to it.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JGill
So, I sent them back to UAL, and thought maybe due to my loyalty they would give me something. Maybe not another year to use the coupons, but how about 3 or 4 SW upgrades or a half-dozen regional upgrades.
Wow! I would ALWAYS let me coupons expire if I could get that kind of stuff!

Keeping in mind that UA doesn't even give the measly 500 miles for the expired e500 upgrades any more, I really wouldn't expect anything. Sorry you didn't get to use them. Better luck next time.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 8:51 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, UA 1K, Avis PC
Wow - the forum does not seem to like this topic. Sorry about the loss of travel vouchers and coupons. It's always worth a try IMO, but sometimes it just doesn't work out. Doubly so, sorry you didn't have a chance to use these for personal travel.

Perhaps a phone call to a few separate reps/supervisors may have afforded you more opportunity.

Regards
Old Jun 25, 2009, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
you had enough time to lob the complaints that got you the $1K in vouchers and certs, its unfortunate that you didn't read the T&C or notice the expirations or whatever it was that caused you totally miss the expiration dates, but in the end, it's your loss and fault ... sorry OP. I second the gift for friends, biz travel and many other places it could have been used, maybe not always by the OP directly, but certainly used by someone.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 10:16 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Hyatt Platinum, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver, Motel 6 Tin
Let's face it, we fly alot. I had accumulated over $1,000 in UAL discount coupons and three (3) free flight certs, all of which expired in the the last three months. These were customer service coupons for lost luggage, bumps, 5 hour delay on the tarmac, etc. Since I travel weekly, I have not had the opportunity to use these for personal travel.

So, I sent them back to UAL, and thought maybe due to my loyalty they would give me something. Maybe not another year to use the coupons, but how about 3 or 4 SW upgrades or a half-dozen regional upgrades.

Nothing!
"First, thank you for your loyalty as a Premier Executive. We appreciate your business.

"We truly appreciate you choosing United and regret that you were unable to use your travel certificate within its valid period. Unfortunately, we are unable to grant your request to extend your travel certificates at this time... I am sorry for any inconveniences.

"To be able to offer certificates like these in a financially sound way for the company, we have to enforce time limits on their use. I hope you understand this need.
Wow.

I know I should set my expectations low, but it is truly amazing the lack of customer service that any of the airlines have these days.
You took the time to write/complain several times.

UA took the time to read your letters/listen to your complaints and offer you $1K in certs and three free flights.

In the next 12 months, you didn't have the time to even read the T&Cs or, apply the certs/free flights to your own travel or to gift to others?

What am I missing here?
Old Jun 25, 2009, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mike_one2many
Forgive me for being dense, but I don't understand how a UA 1P can accumulate over $1000 in vouchers that quickly.
Between my wife and I (both 1Ps) last year, we racked up $1K in vouchers in about 6 months of travel. I would buy early, plug the price into Yapta, wait for alerts, and then refare, refare, refare. A separate thread, but I understand why UA took away that feature.

HOWEVER, I was very conscious of how long those certs would last, and I was consolidating them for our big NYC-HKG trip. As I mentioned before, basically got each ticket for 1/2 off. No sympathies (and definitely not UA's fault) for someone unable to spend a little bit of time planning a trip to use them (or at least give them away).
Old Jun 26, 2009, 2:12 am

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
Did you ever think to ask your employer to use the coupons on the company travel? I know of a company that treats coupons like cash... when employees turn in expenses, they need to turn in a copy of the original ticket, along with a copy of the coupon (or e-mail if its an e-cert). They then get reimbursed for the full amount.
This is a great idea. I had a cert for a free ticket on US recently that my family and I couldn't use and just let it expire and through it away. My company travel office probably would have taken it.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
Wow! I would ALWAYS let me coupons expire if I could get that kind of stuff!

Keeping in mind that UA doesn't even give the measly 500 miles for the expired e500 upgrades any more, I really wouldn't expect anything. Sorry you didn't get to use them. Better luck next time.
Actually, for those 1Ks (and other statuses? -- don't recall if it applied to others) who signed up timely, we still get the 500 miles for each expired e-500. I guess you must have missed out on that! (Since I don't use that many of my e-500s, I'm glad to still be getting the miles for them.)

Back to the original topic, I agree that if there was time to complain, there should have also been time to briefly glance at the T&Cs on each voucher/coupon, most especially the expiry date. Maybe, if one is too busy, another family member could be delegated the task of managing such things? @:-)
Old Jun 26, 2009, 3:52 am

Programs: UA 1K
I know I should set my expectations low, but it is truly amazing the lack of customer service that any of the airlines have these days.
I don't think you would have been treated that much better in the past, either. I remember taking a VDB on an overbooked TWA flight around 1995. As promised, they sent me a voucher good for a free flight anywhere in the world that TWA flew. The voucher was good for one year from the date of the bump, but I only received it six months before it was due to expire. At least today, with e-certs, you get almost a full year (I guess anyway, since I've never received one).
Old Jun 26, 2009, 4:18 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
I used to let these things expire routinely and never expected
anything. Breakage is breakage, and all you deserve is a kick
in the pants, from yourself, if you're agile enough.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 4:59 am

Programs: UA (1K, 2MM), AA, Avis, National
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Most of these vouchers you got from UA like from complaints are sent from email with the code, so that you don't have to redeem in person or by mail. They have been doing this for a while now.
Last year I got paper ones which required in-person visit to UA ticketing. Also, for domestic flights only, even for screw-ups on international flights.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 7:09 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Hindsight is 20/20, but maybe someone else in this situation might read this and be able to do it...

If you've got that much in vouchers, you should be able to cover a FULL FARE, FULLY REFUNDABLE ticket somewhere. Book something, somewhere--ANYWHERE, 10-11 months out on a refundable/no penalty fare. If/when you cancel that full fare, you'll get the value back in vouchers or an unused ticket which is valid for, I think, a year...Or at least a year from the date of issue (so it buys you another year or maybe even 23 months, depending on what the actual rules are).
Old Jun 26, 2009, 7:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL
Did they ALL expire?

You mailed them in and got nothing. Any chance you kept copies of what you sent, or could request any of the unexpired ones back from United?

If I were you moving forward I would trade anything from united with an expiration on CC for a goldcard that doesn't expire.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 8:36 am

Programs: UA 1P
It's funny how you chalk up the expiry date oversight on your part to being "a busy guy" and yet you have the time to post on this board and presumably lodge complaints to get your certs. Don't take yourself so seriously

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.