Wiki Posts
Search

Who needs Clear with Premier Lanes!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2009, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Who needs Clear with Premier Lanes!

UA is taking advantage of Clear shutting down...

Can't say its quite the same...

Old Jun 24, 2009, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by TechnoPagan
UA is taking advantage of Clear shutting down...

Can't say its quite the same...
If you already fly enough to be elite, Clear never seemed to make sense.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, National Executive
But you also can't say it's not the next best thing.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bmvaughn
If you already fly enough to be elite, Clear never seemed to make sense.
At airports like SJC that have no elite line Clear was a huge savings of time. Especially for the 6-7 AM flights when it seemed half of San Jose was in the security line. With Clear always made it through in about 2 minutes. Wonder if UA will use the Clear lane at SJC for elites. Guess I will find out next flight on the 3rd.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Baze
At airports like SJC that have no elite line Clear was a huge savings of time. Especially for the 6-7 AM flights when it seemed half of San Jose was in the security line. With Clear always made it through in about 2 minutes. Wonder if UA will use the Clear lane at SJC for elites. Guess I will find out next flight on the 3rd.
Ahhh can't think of the last time I went through an airport that didn't have an elite lane but did have long lines...
Old Jun 24, 2009, 2:55 pm

There are many occaisions during the work week that the elite lines at DEN take longer than the non-elite lines. The non-elite lines get to fan out across up to 6 ID checkers while the elite lane only gets one. Add to that all of the airline/airport employees and wheelchair brigade that get to cut the line at the X-ray machine on the elite line really had me considering Clear a few weeks ago. I'm obviously glad I did not pull that trigger!
Old Jun 24, 2009, 2:58 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

And for UA at SFO, the elite line is also often quite slow at busy times. Presumably, with UA selling access more aggressively, it'll get even worse.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
MCO is another airport where Clear was a distinct advantage. Also at Elite heavy airports like SFO, the Clear lane could be much faster.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Brick
There are many occaisions during the work week that the elite lines at DEN take longer than the non-elite lines. The non-elite lines get to fan out across up to 6 ID checkers while the elite lane only gets one. Add to that all of the airline/airport employees and wheelchair brigade that get to cut the line at the X-ray machine on the elite line really had me considering Clear a few weeks ago. I'm obviously glad I did not pull that trigger!
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
And for UA at SFO, the elite line is also often quite slow at busy times. Presumably, with UA selling access more aggressively, it'll get even worse.
Ditto for ORD. The elite line is frequently much longer than the regular one. Problem at ORD is that with the way they're tucked behind the checkin desks you can't tell until you're already in the line.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 3:16 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Brick
There are many occaisions during the work week that the elite lines at DEN take longer than the non-elite lines. The non-elite lines get to fan out across up to 6 ID checkers while the elite lane only gets one.
youre not forced to a particular lane. after the security podium pick the least populated line while everyone else is still queued behind security
Old Jun 24, 2009, 3:22 pm

Color me shocked that UA was this timely with an ad campaign in response to the CLEAR shutdown. Wow.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 3:28 pm

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite
If you were only a 2P and in Denver, you needed Clear, or first level status at another airline, such as A-list on WN, Gold on AA, etc.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 3:28 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by FCfree
If you were only a 2P and in Denver, you needed Clear, or first level status at another airline, such as A-list on WN, Gold on AA, etc.
Even 3P will get by the "premium passenger" security lines at DEN
Old Jun 24, 2009, 3:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
ORD is the most irritating - I've gotten stuck in the elite line before, watching the regular line move much faster. As milepig points out, once you're in line far enough to tell, it's quite a swim upstream to get out and re-enter the other line.

Still, I never saw CLEAR as a good value at $179. Even when Marriott offered it for free, I didn't see it as good enough value to go through the hassle of getting it knowing that I'd later have to cancel it and reverse a credit card charge. Sure, I stood in a couple of 10-minute queues at SJC and MCO where CLEAR would have saved me 8 minutes, but it's very rare that I attempt to cut a flight extremely close except occasionally in my home airport (MCI, where the ratio of security to pax is comparatively high due to the corral setup of the gates).
Old Jun 24, 2009, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Baze
UA never had an elite lane before Clear, so I don't think I'd hold my breath for one after. I'm hoping SJC will take a cue from PDX and have a "universal" elite line in the new terminal. Again not holding my breath.

And if you think SJC is bad, try OAK!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.