Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Using United miles for SQ award flights in C/F on A380 - any luck?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2009, 12:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA PG 1MM - AccorPlus Platinum

Hi there

I have a few (United) miles to burn and I was considering using them to redeem an award (one seat only) on Singapore Airlines CDG to SIN in November (so low season). SQ is now flying the A380 on this route and I've heard C & F awards are hard to get on A380 if you are not a KrisFlyer member...

So here are my questions...

1. has anyone managed to use United miles for award C/F seats on SQ A380? What's the success rate?

2. I understand I need to book this via United... once I book my itinerary can I change dates before departure? If yes is there a penalty to pay for the change? (I am 1K if that helps)

3. Finally, after SIN I plan to spend a few days in Chiang Mai (CNX) - SilkAir flies there but can I add SilkAir segments to an award Europe / Asia?

Thanks for your help and apologies for all the questions, this is the first time I redeem United miles on SQ so I have no idea how this works...
Old Jun 24, 2009, 1:22 am

Programs: UA Platinum
The Suites on the A380 (highest class of service, referred by booking code "R") are not available for mileage redemption per SQ rules. C (J on SQ) is a different story.

You will be permitted to make free changes up until departure. After you embark on your first segment you will not be permitted to make any changes per *A rules.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 1:29 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by M@rcoPolo
3. Finally, after SIN I plan to spend a few days in Chiang Mai (CNX) - SilkAir flies there but can I add SilkAir segments to an award Europe / Asia?
Can not redeem Silk Air Routes using UA MP miles.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 2:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kluau88
Can not redeem Silk Air Routes using UA MP miles.
Even if the flight has an SQ number?
(eg: SQ5042 operated by Silkair SIN 08:50 CNX 10:45)
Old Jun 24, 2009, 2:25 am

Programs: NorthSails® | Starboard | ION
...SQ is now flying the A380 on this route and I've heard C & F awards are hard to get on A380 if you are not a KrisFlyer member...
New SQ EFF and CEE (77W, A380) awards cannot be obtained with UA miles—or any *A miles for that matter. To the best of my knowledge, KF miles could get you into new CEE on both aircraft and EFF on the 77W, but not into the Suites.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by UnitedF1RST
The Suites on the A380 (highest class of service, referred by booking code "R") are not available for mileage redemption per SQ rules. C (J on SQ) is a different story.
I was under the belief that neither F nor C were available on SQ for routes using A380, A345 or 77W when miles were coming from an FF other than PPS. And even for PPS members it was double the miles needed.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
I was under the belief that neither F nor C were available on SQ for routes using A380, A345 or 77W when miles were coming from an FF other than PPS. And even for PPS members it was double the miles needed.
No, you do not need to be PPS to book C award on these flights, but you do need to have Krisflyer miles (double the normal miles).

For people with miles with other *A program, these are only bookable very, very infrequently (? possibly when a glitch occurs).

So, to the OP, sorry, you'll need to try other options.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 5:45 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by dsquared37
I concur. This is what I ran into when I was using my US miles for a *A award this coming August. For a brief time this winter they opened up some C seats for KrisFlyers but it closed quickly.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 6:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Diamond, Starwood Platinum Preferred
Last year I was able to book the 77W from LAX/TPE/SIN in C. I have not seen any availability since using UA miles.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
The only folks that have successfully booked A380 F with miles -- SQ miles or partner miles -- are those who booked routes served by A380 while they were still listed as 747. Lucky folks!!

SQ has made 77W C available on some routes to some partners at least, and there have also been glitches where this has been available.

But as a general proposition A380 and 77W premium cabins, as well as A345 business, are not going to be available with UA miles... at least until SQ changes its policies (which I keep expecting but hasn't happened yet, at least with respect to the 77W).
Old Jun 24, 2009, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for the advice - very interesting - so I guess my only (tiny) hope to make it on the A380 premium cabin with UA miles would be to book via FRA on LH and then onto SIN on SQ - currently listed as 744 - then hope they will switch equipment by early November...

Anyone knows how likely this is going to be? One would think FRA would be next on the list of European destination for the A380... ?!
Old Jun 24, 2009, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

..Anyone knows how likely this is going to be? One would think FRA would be next on the list of European destination for the A380... ?!

About 0.0000000001% for FRA-JFK-FRA. Maybe 1% for SIN-FRA-SIN, but then SQ needs to suspend FRA-JFK-FRA. The issue is the 744 flights to FRA continue on to JFK. Loads to JFK are not good.

In any case, you may want to book right away. The next A380, 9V-SKI, will be delivered in 1-2 weeks. An announcement for A380 upgauge can come at any day now.

Last edited by TerryK; Jun 24, 2009 at 7:48 am
Old Jun 24, 2009, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by UnitedF1RST
After you embark on your first segment you will not be permitted to make any changes per *A rules.
These are not *A rules but rules that United has for award tickets.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 9:43 am

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia
Originally Posted by TerryK
About 0.0000000001% for FRA-JFK-FRA. Maybe 1% for SIN-FRA-SIN, but then SQ needs to suspend FRA-JFK-FRA. The issue is the 744 flights to FRA continue on to JFK. Loads to JFK are not good.

In any case, you may want to book right away. The next A380, 9V-SKI, will be delivered in 1-2 weeks. An announcement for A380 upgauge can come at any day now.

They may switch these flights to a 77W, in which case, you're still a winner with either award you're able to get. I made a reservation for 2 seats last Dec, before the award mileage increases, using SQ C from NRT to SIN on a then 747 (switched to A380) and SIN-ICN on a 772 (canceled my flight and put me on the 77W) this Nov. If you're 1k, you have nothing to lose by booking whatever's available and waiting/hoping for plane upgrades, flight cancellations, etc... especially if you have "miles to burn." Put 'em to use
Old Jun 24, 2009, 10:33 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Even if the flight has an SQ number?
(eg: SQ5042 operated by Silkair SIN 08:50 CNX 10:45)
Yes. Even if. No UA or other *A mileage accrual or redemption on Silkair. Only Krisflyer will work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.