Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Business Class Awards with Multiple Segments

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2009, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

When booking an international business class award seat where there is a US based segment, are you entitled to a business class seat for both flight segments? Looking at the seat maps for flights I am looking at, united.com is only showing economy seats for the US based segment.

If you are entitled to business class for both segments, if the US based segment only has economy award seat available at the time of booking, will you automatically be upgraded to the next class of service if an award seat becomes available?
Old Jun 20, 2009, 4:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
If booking a business class award, the USA/domestic portion should book into Domestic 1st Class (if available). Check to make sure it is a two class plane and not a one class plane.

If you book and there is no XF available you will need to stay on top and make sure it is re-booked into FC if an award seat becomes available. At the gate you will be eligible for FFCC which is the highest priority waitlist for FC.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ffcc-list.html
Old Jun 20, 2009, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, 1 MM
Originally Posted by eclipse_boi

If you are entitled to business class for both segments, if the US based segment only has economy award seat available at the time of booking, will you automatically be upgraded to the next class of service if an award seat becomes available?
If you're booked on an award that is all UA metal, theoretically you should automatically be placed in the class of service you paid for (with your miles) should space become available. I say theoretically because it might be a good idea to track the flight(s) and check to see if XF or XC inventory becomes available in case you're not automatically moved into the proper service class.

If you're on a mixed *A itinerary, then you can't waitlist and will have to call the airline should space become available. For UA flights, you can check at ual.com by searching for standard award availability in expert mode; for other *A flights, a good bet is the ANA tool.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K ,AAEXP, Dollar, Marriott Gold,Hertz Gold,SIXT Platnium, CBP Global Entry,Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by fzwinter
If you're booked on an award that is all UA metal, theoretically you should automatically be placed in the class of service you paid for (with your miles) should space become available. I say theoretically because it might be a good idea to track the flight(s) and check to see if XF or XC inventory becomes available in case you're not automatically moved into the proper service class.

If you're on a mixed *A itinerary, then you can't waitlist and will have to call the airline should space become available. For UA flights, you can check at ual.com by searching for standard award availability in expert mode; for other *A flights, a good bet is the ANA tool.
Very true,
I booked my first award ticket back in May: CLT-ORD-NRT-BKK and same on return. I was booked in XC, .bomb showed availibility in XF to ORD, XC for all transpac and then XY from ORD to CLT.. Two weeks ago I checked the ORD-CLT flight. It showed XF2. I imediatley called UA and in less than five minutes snagged 1AB on a A319. There was no charge ither, because the reservation was booked in XC.
As far as waitlist, follow the advice of the poster above, as I have no experience with waitlisting. Just keep checking in expert mode and good luck to you!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.