Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

ask for 90-day free taste of next elite status tier?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2009, 3:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, HH Diamond, CBP Global Entry

Hi, I'm a 1P, and I know that UA sometimes offers limited 90-day temporary free taste of the next elite status tier... but I know such offers usually comes via email promos....

however, i was wondering if we can call MP and ask for the 90-day free taste of the next tier?

additionally, do you know when / under what circumstances they usually mail out the offers? when a 1P has banked 70k EQMs, 80K EQMs, or 90K EQMs?

just curious if anyone has insights into these issues. thanks
Old Jun 19, 2009, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Don't hold your breath being invited to try 1K for 3 months as a nice surprise present. @:-)

Anyone who wanted to, that did not get to 1K legally this year was not trying too hard.

Double EQM, no fees, pre booked tickets OK, etc, etc.

Everyone with a pulse will be 1K next year.

I'll end up with about 300K and usually coast by on just over 100K. Just did it for the extra SWU's. Many others will be similar.

Last edited by ozstamps; Jun 19, 2009 at 11:47 am
Old Jun 19, 2009, 4:33 am

Programs: UA GS/1K/MM, VA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by ozstamps
Don't hold your breath being invited to try 1K for 3 months as a nice present. @:-)
With the EQM promotions, seems they're throwing out 1K presents for anyone that turns up at an airport at the moment.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
1K is the new 3P.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 4:44 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
Yes it sure was easier this year ^. Thanks UA

But in fairness, some of us DO have real budget constraints in a tough economic environment. I wont be 1K simply because I dont have a spare $1000 lying around to buy any more tickets (not to mention Mini DG would kill me if I go again without her ).

To get 1K, it would take 3 transpacs and at least a transcon (with DEQM).

So call in the crash cart, I mustnt have a pulse .

Last edited by Downunder girl; Jun 19, 2009 at 4:52 am
Old Jun 19, 2009, 5:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, HH Diamond, CBP Global Entry
thanks for making me feel like a loser being a lowly 1P you guys. i love the heartfelt support.

its a lot harder than you think to make 1K with a measly income and only making domestic transcons in the U.S. mostly. take pity. thanks.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 6:42 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by meducate
Thank you! I may be in SYD in October - I will let you know...and if time permits it would be nice to see you and mini-DUG..
Sorry this is OT: [Which is why it was deleted by moderator.]

Dear OP - I understand your plight. I can generally only afford one SYD USA trip per year, if that. This year the fares have been so low, I have been able to step up to the plate, but will still likely only keep 1P. I am currently using my calculator to work out just how much more EQM I need to get to 1K , but the bank balance is screaming out, NO WAY .

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jun 19, 2009 at 8:43 am Reason: Please see above.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 9:22 am

Programs: Mosaic 2, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Premium Cabin free agent
Just curious as to which aspects of 1k you are looking to get a taste of? Aside from the earlier e500 clearance times, fee waived for award tickets, the SWU and CR1's I don't see that much of a difference over 1P. The 1k 90 day memberships that I've read about don't offer SWU or CR1's. I've even asked myself if it was really worth it to shoot for 1K with the new upgrade policy coming up even though I will probably fly 4 transpacs next year.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 10:34 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Hyatt Platinum, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver, Motel 6 Tin
Originally Posted by epiding
thanks for making me feel like a loser being a lowly 1P you guys. i love the heartfelt support.

its a lot harder than you think to make 1K with a measly income and only making domestic transcons in the U.S. mostly. take pity. thanks.
For those of us for which flying is not typically a hobby, turning it in to a hobby to do MRs and so forth to achieve higher status is costly - not only in terms of the tickets, but also time away from our "real" jobs and away from our families. Working a five-day week, then using a weekend (or, at least, part of it) for an MR can be exhausting - especially for those of us who have "things to do" (besides flying to nowhere and back ) on weekends.

I can usually make 1P without too much difficulty between business and personal flying, but 1K typically requires me to go on several MRs in addition to accumulating Visa Platinum EQMs. Unless those SWUs are going to prove useful, it isn't worth the extra time and money.

The five years I have qualified for 1K, I never flew anything close to 100,000 BIS miles - and I never buy full Y, C or F fares. Since most of my flying is domestic, flying an average of 8+K miles a month is simply out of the question.

That said, this year the DEQM promotion corresponded to a time frame when I already had a fairly heavy load of business and personal flying planned, and when I had the schedule flexibility to add some MRs.

If the promotion had run earlier, or ran this coming fall, I doubt I would make 1K.

BTW, I'm not sure how large the increase in 1Ks will be as a result of the DEQM promotion. Business travel is off significantly, so I'm guessing there will be a lot more "hobby" 1Ks and a lot fewer "business" 1Ks in 2010. Whether that's good for UA remains to be seen.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 10:39 am

Programs: UA G
1K is the new 3P.
I struggled to get to 1P
Old Jun 19, 2009, 10:49 am

Programs: None - previously UA
1K is the new 3P.
That must be why my estimated wait time on the 1K line is 18 minutes.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 10:56 am

Programs: Nothing now! (Bye bye gold memberships)
Originally Posted by unavaca
I struggled to get to 1P
I'm a 1P struggler just like you but, hey, nothing to frown about. Don't let the dilution of status dilute your joy of obtaining it.
1P-lites, unite!
Old Jun 19, 2009, 10:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, Citi Prestige, AMEX Platinum, SPG Gold
Yeah, UA offered me GS status for 90 days, and I'm so happy. I love the GS web site for buying tickets, especially the fact that it lets you kick people out of their selected seats. I must have stolen seats from 1K (blue) passengers on about 20 separate occasions, just because I could. Ha ha ha.

But I also love the ability to search by fare bucket (especially NC) instead of by date, as well being able to select from all available fare basis codes for each leg of my trip and actually read the fare rules with proper capitalization. Who knew United could actually build a working web site?

My temporary status expires tomorrow when I'm flying the SFO-LHR red-eye in C cabin. If my status expires mid-flight, does that mean I'll have to stow my headrest for landing (which I hate), or can I keep my GS privileges for the duration of the flight?
Old Jun 19, 2009, 10:57 am

Programs: HH Gold, UA 1P
1K is the new 3P.
Get the violins tuned up a nice rendition of "Cry Me a River". Seriously, I doubt you will have much to worry about as noted here and elsewhere, the economic situation for most of us just doesn't justify trying attain vanity status right now. I am more than happy with my 1P. Good luck OP with getting any freebie out of UA.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 11:05 am

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Originally Posted by ftweb
I love the GS web site for buying tickets, especially the fact that it lets you kick people out of their selected seats. I must have stolen seats from 1K (blue) passengers on about 20 separate occasions, just because I could. Ha ha ha.
Ah, so that was YOU !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.