Wiki Posts
Search

Strict Oversize baggage? - TPAC $200 ow

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2009, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Strict Oversize baggage? - TPAC $200 ow

After a long search, I found a great suitcase at a great price. It weighs 9 lbs. 11oz and holds 6,100 cubic inches. Those were the specs that I was looking for. However, I may have made a major miscalculation.

The dimensions of the suitcase are 44 x 18 x 16 inches. Looking at the United web site, this appears oversized! Oversized > 62 linear inches. Domestic fee is $150 each way. Trans-Pacific fee is $200 each way. Is this enforced? No 1k exemption? If it is I will be attempting to return this great bag ASAP.

Explore

Osprey SpaceStation 100 Wheeled Duffel Specs

http://www.rei.com/product/764339 - I bought it elsewhere but REI has the specs all laid out.

United

Domestic - http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,1034,00.html
International - http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,52909,00.html
Old Jun 18, 2009, 12:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
If there's an exception, it might be for one or two inches oversize. But oversize by a full 16 inches? I doubt it.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 12:49 pm

Programs: RVT 1K
I once was on an F award from SFO-FRA and was taking a lot of stuff...including one giant duffle bag with a motorcycle frame in it...kid you not, I think they are more concerned with weight than size as I was not hassled.

I have been charged for overweight before, but not about size, and that one time with the giant dufflebag with motorcycle frame must have been over the size limit or right at it, I remember checking dimensions before leaving home but I think weight was the real issue.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
My only real hope was that there was a relatively unknown 1K exemption for oversize luggage. Glad that I bought from someone that accepts returns.

Explore

PS Now I will have to look for alternatives. Hmm, I also need to check if the 3 bag 70lbs allowance applies when you fly another *alliance carrier on an award ticket. Might just get 2 cheap/disposable suitcases.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Explore SE Asia
My only real hope was that there was a relatively unknown 1K exemption for oversize luggage. Glad that I bought from someone that accepts returns.

Explore

PS Now I will have to look for alternatives. Hmm, I also need to check if the 3 bag 70lbs allowance applies when you fly another *alliance carrier on an award ticket. Might just get 2 cheap/disposable suitcases.
As long as you are a *G, it doesnt matter if it's a paid or award ticket. You'll still get 3 bags @ 70lbs each.

regards,
drew
Old Jun 18, 2009, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
I think your luck of not paying oversized fees depend on where you check in. In the US, they seem to be pretty relaxed about luggage as long as you're 1P or higher. As always, confusing the agent or being very friendly never hurts. Tell them about your trip. Ask questions about the flight, seat assignments, your reservation or something else.

In my experience, the intl checkin agents are more relaxed than the domestic checkin agents. I've been checking large (oversized by United rules) duffel bags a few times. Never once have they asked me anything. Sometimes, they don't even weigh my bags. Once, I checked a surf board and they didn't charge me the $150 surfboard fee. Other 1K FTers have reported checking bikes as a regular piece without a fee as well.

About overweight (and since you shop at REI): Assuming you don't check 3 bags, the trick to never paying overweight charges is to always bring an extra duffel bag, like this one: http://www.rei.com/product/748506 It comes in a flat storage sack and doesn't take much more extra room than a shirt. Should they ever mention the overweight word, just pull it out and check one more bag

Remember that you may have more trouble checking the large bag coming back than heading out. They may not be as relaxed about the rules as the priority checkin in the US.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 4:29 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Come on over to the Travel Products Forum... lots of great advice over there.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by Explore SE Asia
The dimensions of the suitcase are 44 x 18 x 16 inches. Looking at the United web site, this appears oversized! Oversized > 62 linear inches. Domestic fee is $150 each way. Trans-Pacific fee is $200 each way. Is this enforced? No 1k exemption? If it is I will be attempting to return this great bag ASAP
The photo does not show something that is 16 or 18 inches deep ... the depth looks about 1/2 the width. If there is a return policy, then measure the bag yourself ... my guess at its maximum it is close to 68 linear inches.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by flyerbjorn

About overweight (and since you shop at REI): Assuming you don't check 3 bags, the trick to never paying overweight charges is to always bring an extra duffel bag, like this one: http://www.rei.com/product/748506 It comes in a flat storage sack and doesn't take much more extra room than a shirt. Should they ever mention the overweight word, just pull it out and check one more bag
Dimensions: 18 x 36 (a cylinder 18 inches in diameter). I.e. 18 + 18 + 36 = 72 linear inches or far more than the UA maximum.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott/IHG Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Remember that you may have more trouble checking the large bag coming back than heading out. They may not be as relaxed about the rules as the priority checkin in the US.
Second this!

Once @ LHR, the agent wanted to charge us for the folding bikes but then her coworker told her to measure the size instead. Fortunately, we removed the extra few inches of cardboard
Old Jun 18, 2009, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by mre5765
The photo does not show something that is 16 or 18 inches deep ... the depth looks about 1/2 the width. If there is a return policy, then measure the bag yourself ... my guess at its maximum it is close to 68 linear inches.
If it's 44 x 18, it would have to be 0 for the 3rd dimension to be within the limit. It looks considerably wider/deeper than 0.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold

Yep, for instance, all SYD check in is handled by agents. (Menzies)

Try and get a monster bag past them and I wish you luck.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 7:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by mre5765
18 x 36 (a cylinder 18 inches in diameter). I.e. 18 + 18 + 36 = 72 linear inches or far more than the UA maximum.
A cylinder 18 inches in diameter would measure out to about 64 inches (9π + 36) - only 2 inches above the maximum so you might get away with it.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA 1P, SQ PPS
Originally Posted by ddrewboy
As long as you are a *G, it doesnt matter if it's a paid or award ticket. You'll still get 3 bags @ 70lbs each.

regards,
drew
Originally Posted by YoYoGodMom
Second this!

Once @ LHR, the agent wanted to charge us for the folding bikes but then her coworker told her to measure the size instead. Fortunately, we removed the extra few inches of cardboard
3 bags @ 70lbs each only for travel to/from North America where the piece concept applies.

Other origin/destination usually use the weight concept in which they don't care how many pieces of baggage but are more concerned about the total weight...

in Changi (SIN) they are usually more relaxed about it as well once you have any form of status...even with 2P...
Old Jun 18, 2009, 9:12 pm

Programs: Mosaic 2, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Premium Cabin free agent
I saw the title "Strict Oversize baggage? - TPAC $200 ow" and I thought it meant OW as in paying $200 to check that bag is gonna hurt

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.