Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Strict Oversize baggage? - TPAC $200 ow

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2009, 10:41 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
You are much more likely to have a problem at a small UX station than at a mainline/intl departure gateway airport with the size of your suitcase.

I had to take something big from SCE to EZE. Ended up getting a one-way rental car, and driving to NYC, and going non-stop from there.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 12:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Former UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by UnitedEF
I saw the title "Strict Oversize baggage? - TPAC $200 ow" and I thought it meant OW as in paying $200 to check that bag is gonna hurt
Yes it does mean that it would cost me $200 to check the bag for a transpacific flight. I would only have to pay $150 to check the bag for a domestic flight. I would of course have to pay the same fee on my return flight.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 2:20 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by ddrewboy
As long as you are a *G, it doesnt matter if it's a paid or award ticket. You'll still get 3 bags @ 70lbs each..
No.

While it doesn't matter if it is an award or not, the *A carrier are very different in their allowances on piece concept routes!

LH allows 3x50lbs for coach and 3x70lbs for Biz and F. SQ limited all PC route luggage to 3x50lb.
Originally Posted by pilotsnoopy
3 bags @ 70lbs each only for travel to/from North America where the piece concept applies...
A ticket which has a piece concept leg in it, adopts the pc limits for the entire itinerary. If you buy a RTW tix, the European legs and travel via Asia will also carry the 2 bags and 3 bags respectively limit.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA GS, Avis CHM, Marriott & SPG & PC Plat., Hyatt & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Explore SE Asia
The dimensions of the suitcase are 44 x 18 x 16 inches. Looking at the United web site, this appears oversized!
One more thing to think about... Luggage manufacturer mostly measures the dimensions inside the luggage, but United would measure the outside dimensions.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA MM, DL DM
My regular suitcase greatly exceeds the linear dimension limits and it has been on dozens of trips with me, as did a rolling duffel I used to carry. Nobody at UA or any other airline has ever measured them.

You may well run into weight issues on *A partners overseas as they try to enforce their lower limits. I have taken to carrying a copy of what you are allowed from the website in my carryon, but have never had to use it. They have always let me through, although I have had to balance bags and play other silly games to make them happy.

I also carry a lightweight collapsable duffle when I am only checking two bags in the event that I run into a problem and need to break things out into a third bag for weight reasons.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.