Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Taking pet dog on UA flight - anyone ever done?

Old Dec 13, 01, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat 2MM

I am travelling SEA-LAX on 12-20-01 and will be taking our little dog with us (9 lbs).

We have been getting her trained to be in her little carrier bag and she seems to be fine.

Has anyone ever flown with a carry on pet before? United's web site says that they can deny a pet for any reason. With all the security now-a-days, I was wondering how difficult this was going to be.

I assume we take her out of the bag and bring her through the metal detector and send the empty bag through the X-ray machine. Is this right? Any idea if the little bit of metal on the collar will set off the detector?

Just looking for some info on someone that has taken a pet on board.

Thanks!

Rob

Addendum: I do have the pet reservation already set up. The sad thing is that the dog is $150 RT and my ticket was only $169 (but I had a $100 voucher).

My wife and I have an aisle and middle seat so hopefully it will fit underneath without a problem (no UA status, only have gold on AA).

[This message has been edited by rmc1 (edited 12-14-2001).]
Old Dec 13, 01, 10:14 pm

Programs: Many
I saw a lady with her dog in one of those $900 Louis Vuitton carriers on a flight earlier this year. This was on a CDG-LAX flight.

[This message has been edited by unagi1 (edited 12-13-2001).]
Old Dec 13, 01, 10:42 pm

Programs: A3, AA, DL, HH, SK, SPG, UA
My parents tried just last month. From NRT-LAX, AA and UA wouldn't let them bring our dog. So, they had to use someone else (Delta or NW or someone else, whose FF program we don't belong to).

But since you're flying domestic, I'm not sure what the rules are.
Old Dec 13, 01, 11:59 pm

(Said in cackly old voice) you ... and your wretched little dog too!?!

sorry, love to quote the Witch in the Wizard of OZ whenever possible.

$75 charge EACH WAY for little dogs. I had a friend just check.

BTW, I was in a 727 F-class cabin a month ago with 3 lap babies and one little dog, quite a load. And I think the dog was the quietest!

Old Dec 14, 01, 1:02 am

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
No experience specifically, but to add to what the others said you must make a reservation for your dog before you go. I doubt they'll refuse "for any reason", but they do have a limit per flight for pets in each plane, a very low limit. The limit varies by plane type. If you're flying up front in F or C, the limit could well be one for your entire class of service, so you need to plan it ahead. In Y, usually there's one or two allowed for plane for narrowbodies, maybe more for widebodies. This is not specific UA, but just all airlines in general. But hm, if you're flying on Dec 20, I hope you already know that part!

I'm actually quite curious about the airport procedure myself. I could see how it could work with a dog, but what if you have a cat? Never seen a report on that. (Guess maybe I'll find out one day if I ever end up traveling that way with cat. ) I know the security has to accommodate you somehow, but it might be harder these days. Allow lots of time, that's for sure, no matter what the specifics turn out to be. Time should be able to cure whatever hurdles there turn out to be.

Old Dec 14, 01, 1:46 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CrazyOne:
...I'm actually quite curious about the airport procedure myself. I could see how it could work with a dog, but what if you have a cat? ...
</font>
When I moved out West I took the cat on the plane. Was only $50 back then. I u/g us so the carrier would fit under the seat and I'd have some footroom. Kitty and I enjoyed fish that night for dinner, how swell. Kitty was heavily sedated and also didn't mind going through security (out of bag).

As for Toto, at security, it's no different than bringing a baby through. (I no longer have the cat but have twin infants). Take baby out of carseat, walk through detector carrying baby. We have at times, handed the baby through the security to a security person, then walked through ourselves.

Never got the wand with the kids yet though. I'd take the dog collar off b4 walking through.
Old Dec 14, 01, 10:11 am

Location: Austin. DL Plat; WN A-List; Marriott Titanium; IHG Spire
I transported a cat for a friend from SFO-IND about a year ago.

I had no problem at check-in or otherwise, except I was denied a bulkhead seat because I needed to put the cat (in her carrier) under the seat in front of me.

I volunteered to use the overhead bin, but the FA would have none of it.

Old Dec 14, 01, 10:18 am
Suspended

Personally, I can't stand being in those small carriers.
Old Dec 14, 01, 10:22 am

UA still allows pets in the cabin (PETC) providing they fit in a "Sherpa" bag under the seat in front. Cost is $75 per direction. It applies not only to dogs but also cats, and household birds. They no longer carry animals as checked luggage (AVIH). International acceptance will vary based on each country's agriculture/quarantine rules.
Old Dec 14, 01, 10:56 am

United's pets policy according to their www site.

http://www.ual.com/site/primary/0,10017,1047,00.html

Carry-on
small dog, cat or bird can travel with you in passenger cabin if pet is small enough to fit comfortably in a kennel place under the seat. Never allowed out of kennel during flight. Domestic travel 75 one way. International rates vary by destination.

---
Other rules and guidlines
http://www.ual.com/site/primary/0,10017,1048,00.html

----
Additional DOT animal information.
http://www.dot.gov/airconsumer/animals.htm
eight weeks old
weaned for at least five days

-----
Not directly relevant since it applicable to service animals but is from a regulation issued DOT after Sept 11
http://www.dot.gov/airconsumer/Civil...ct%20Sheet.htm

Service animals inspected for prohibited items are permitted on board an aircraft. Any bag that is carried on the animal will be manually inspected or put through the X-ray machines. animalís halter may be removed and inspected.

----
I have been unable to find it in print but last time I investigated this I was told that United's policy was that there was a maximum of 1 pet per cabin.

-----
Please be considerate of fellow passangers since many people are allergic.

Old Dec 14, 01, 11:11 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
My husband and I have flown many times on United with our two small dachshunds (11 and 15 lbs.) in the cabin. Even the large Sherpa bag will fit under a coach seat, and can be crammed under a business/first seat.

Our dogs are great flyers. They whine very quietly for some of the chicken, and sometimes let out a little yelp when the plane lands. That's usually the first time anyone knows a dog is on the plane, unless they saw us talking to our carry-ons.

We haven't flown with the dogs since 11 Sept, but previously had no problems with the security checkpoints. Just take the dog out of the bag and walk through with him/her in your arms. The rawhide bones in the carry-on bags can cause a bit of consternation :-)

You can take your dog into some Red Carpet Clubs if it's travelling as a cabin pet (also known as "excess cabin baggage", very nice)

Our biggest challenge is finding good places right outside the terminal for the dog to relieve itself before and after the flight. SEA-LAX is a pretty short flight, so this may not be such a problem for you.

You won't get anything for your $150 except aggravation (some United employees are helpful, some are a pain.) I'm hoping these draconian pet policies will change as more people have pets rather than children.

Feel free to email me if you have any questions.
Old Dec 14, 01, 12:20 pm

One thing to keep in mind is the health certificate. UA seems to be either all or nothing on this. From the smaller stations I've never had it checked, but departures from both DEN and ORD have had it looked at and even 'friendly' reminders that it must be within 30 days to be accepted.
Old Dec 14, 01, 12:47 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Marriot Gold
You should have no problem bringing your pal with you. Just make sure you have the health certificate, and keep the dog in the kennel-bag/container at all times while inflight.
Old Dec 14, 01, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Premier Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by octeckels:

You can take your dog into some Red Carpet Clubs if it's travelling as a cabin pet (also known as "excess cabin baggage", very nice)
</font>
Hmmmm...does this mean that a cabin pet is considered a "personal item?"

JD
Old Dec 14, 01, 3:35 pm

Our 6 pound Maltese could qualify for 2P. We take her many places with us in her Sherpa bag. Never a peep out of her but she's been flying since a pup. When we pull her bag out of the closet she runs to jump into the middle of it since she knows she's going.

We always have an up-to-date "healthy dog" certificate from our vet on hand but it gets looked at only 50% of the time.

There's evidently a limit on PETC so you'll want to make your canine reservation early.

Happy pooch travels . . .

Search this Thread
Search Engine: