FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   Status of UA's 777 Conversion to new International First, Business and Economy Seats (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/962662-status-uas-777-conversion-new-international-first-business-economy-seats.html)

matti2d May 15, 2009 11:26 am

One of my last jobs while at UA was evaluating the transition btw C and E+. because of the new seating config, the FA's would have to negotiate an odd z turn with drink carts while coming out of the galley. The concern was that passengers in the window aisle seats would be in the line of fire for a runaway drink cart and that FA's would have less control over these carts and be exposed to sprains and strains when trying to move a full cart through tight turns. my recommendation (barring my best idea which was a complete redesign of the cart steering system) was the removal of th aisle seats on the window sides in the first row of E+. mgt pushed back because of the loss of two E+ seats per airplane, but my argument was less liklihood of passenger injury (and the resulting accomadation/settlements) like bruised knees and legs and fewer WC claims due to less force required to guide the carts.
not sure what the final decision was on the configuration, but (to get back to the thread topic), if you look at a seat chart and the first row of E+ is 3-3-3 and not 2-3-2, you probably don't want to be in the C or G seats.

EsquireFlyer May 15, 2009 11:58 am

Originally Posted by matti2d (Post 11754468)
my recommendation (barring my best idea which was a complete redesign of the cart steering system) was the removal of th aisle seats on the window sides in the first row of E+. mgt pushed back because of the loss of two E+ seats per airplane, but my argument was less liklihood of passenger injury (and the resulting accomadation/settlements) like bruised knees and legs and fewer WC claims due to less force required to guide the carts.

How about shallow, smoothly curving "guide tracks" in that area to help the cart negotiate the turn, with less manual steering required by the FA? Shallow tracks carved lower than the floor surface (and NOT guide rails sticking up from the surface), to minimize the risk of pax tripping over the tracks.

matti2d May 15, 2009 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer (Post 11754660)
How about shallow, smoothly curving "guide tracks" in that area to help the cart negotiate the turn, with less manual steering required by the FA? Shallow tracks carved lower than the floor surface (and NOT guide rails sticking up from the surface), to minimize the risk of pax tripping over the tracks.

I floated that, but
1) any changes to the equipment or interior were out of play. Only plug and play solutions were desired
2) pax knees would still be in the crunch zone due to the placement of the wheels on the cart

Taipei Jun 8, 2009 2:47 pm

Do any 777's have new business class yet?

Since I fly to Taiwan and they fly 777 only here, I was wondering how many have it if any? One of the UA Taiwan staff mentioned is comming soon, but not sure of date?

as219 Jun 8, 2009 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Taipei (Post 11874886)
I was wondering how many have it if any?

None.

jhayes_1780 Jun 8, 2009 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by Taipei (Post 11874886)
but not sure of date?

First one goes in the September, I would not expect TPE to see one for quite some time.

LA_Traveler Jun 8, 2009 3:03 pm

Judging by the 747/767 conversion schedule, with the first 777 going into the shop in September, I'd guess the fleet would be completed in around 2 years. Unless of course UA decides to accelerate the process. With the additional work on the Y cabin, I am guessing accelerating the conversion is not likely.

RichardInSF Jun 8, 2009 3:06 pm

...which is why the only international UA777 you'll see me on for the next two years is one on which I secured a confirmable upgrade at time of booking. Not going to pay for old-style, non-upgradeable Z fares on United when ANA, JAL, Cathay, Singapore, etc etc etc have so much more to offer.

SFflyer123 Jun 8, 2009 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF (Post 11875011)
...which is why the only international UA777 you'll see me on for the next two years is one on which I secured a confirmable upgrade at time of booking. Not going to pay for old-style, non-upgradeable Z fares on United when ANA, JAL, Cathay, Singapore, etc etc etc have so much more to offer.

+1, and you still get miles on UA with the *A flights!

worldtrav Jun 8, 2009 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by UAL CHIEF (Post 11876604)
September,don't get excited. ME think more of like late October as we know UA always delay at the last minutes.

No one is saying the first one will be out in October. The prototype goes in September and will likely not be in revenue service until late November.

SFflyer123 Jun 8, 2009 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by UAL CHIEF (Post 11876604)
September,don't get excited. ME think more of like late October as we know UA always delay at the last minutes.

Methinks so too, given what suitdreams.united.com say....

mahasamatman Jun 8, 2009 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by worldtrav (Post 11876717)
The prototype goes in September and will likely not be in revenue service until late November.

Exactly as stated by planemechanic in post #5 above.

DanTheMan39 Jul 7, 2009 8:25 pm

Was there a problem that caused a delay, or is this the original schedule?

why fly Jul 7, 2009 10:15 pm

unless UA starts to make money how will they pay for the seats.:confused:

UA_Flyer Jul 7, 2009 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by why fly (Post 12029630)
unless UA starts to make money how will they pay for the seats.:confused:

This is one of the reasons I think the 777 reconfiguration will be painfully slow.:(