Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Discontinued Programs/Partners

United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)

Status of UA's 777 Conversion to new International First, Business and Economy Seats

Status of UA's 777 Conversion to new International First, Business and Economy Seats

Old Dec 17, 10, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K(until 2022), MM *G for life, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Thunderroad View Post
.... understand that it looks like the TATL routes are being mostly done first...
When it appeared that the LHR routes were first, I for one assumed that it would be TATL first. However, it now appears that it's the West Coast LHR routes, together with an IAD turn which serves aircraft out and in to LHR, which were done first. Now, they are appearing on some TPAC routes, as well as DXB and some S.America turns.

So perhaps UA is focusing on the longest haul routes first, together with shorter turns for positioning.
Old Dec 17, 10, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian View Post
I can assure you that no recent post of yours was deleted by any of the volunteer moderations of this forum. Are you referring to this one?
FlyinHawaiian, my sincere apologies. Maybe a little too much holiday cheer last night, I was looking in the wrong thread!

So N226UA is planned to be next (in January). It will be the first XP to XQ conversion and is therefore considered a prototype. As a side note, it will become the first one with new colors and new interior.
Old Dec 17, 10, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by worldtrav View Post
FlyinHawaiian, my sincere apologies. Maybe a little too much holiday cheer last night, I was looking in the wrong thread!

So N226UA is planned to be next (in January). It will be the first XP to XQ conversion and is therefore considered a prototype. As a side note, it will become the first one with new colors and new interior.
You'll have to forgive me... how many XIs have become XQs so far? There were scheduled to be 8, and 8 XQs are complete - were all ex-XIs?
Old Dec 17, 10, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by bmvaughn View Post
You'll have to forgive me... how many XIs have become XQs so far? There were scheduled to be 8, and 8 XQs are complete - were all ex-XIs?
You are forgiven

All conversions so far have been 29XX to 28XX so yes, they were all XI's.
Old Dec 17, 10, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
You are forgiven

All conversions so far have been 29XX to 28XX so yes, they were all XI's.
Great, so all further XI conversions will be to XJs and not XQs, correct?

It must be odd for you to see how much we care about this stuff
Old Dec 17, 10, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, AAdvantage, Alaska, BAEC, Marriott, Hawaiian, Hilton HHonors
So N226UA is planned to be next (in January). It will be the first XP to XQ conversion and is therefore considered a prototype.
Can you clarify what the basic difference is between the XP & XI interiors?
Old Dec 17, 10, 7:12 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by atanac View Post
Can you clarify what the basic difference is between the XP & XI interiors?
You might find the forst post on the olf config 777 useful
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ld-config.html
Old Dec 18, 10, 10:15 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, AAdvantage, Alaska, BAEC, Marriott, Hawaiian, Hilton HHonors
Since the shell of all 777 are the same I am not understanding why Worldtrav said the new
XP conversion would be a prototype. They have to remove all the first and business
seats no matter what type of aircraft and then reinstall the new conversion inside the
standard shell.
Old Dec 18, 10, 10:19 am

Programs: Won Kay
Originally Posted by boolean64 View Post
So is the plan to focus on updating the entire europe-bound fleet and then move on to the asia-bound fleet? I guess that would make sense since the new lie-flat seat would be more likely to convince someone to switch from a european carrier, but probably not switch from an asian carrier.

I wouldn't count on anything. I'm checking flights from IAD to FRA in September 2011, and they are showing the old 3-class configuration for 767 flights.

Shouldn't they have been 100% converted by now, much less in late 2011?
Old Dec 18, 10, 11:44 am

Programs: My posts are solely my opinion and do not represent the official position of United Airlines
Originally Posted by boolean64 View Post
So is the plan to focus on updating the entire europe-bound fleet and then move on to the asia-bound fleet? I guess that would make sense since the new lie-flat seat would be more likely to convince someone to switch from a european carrier, but probably not switch from an asian carrier.
No, that's not the plan. LHR was first because of the competitive landscape but that does not mean other European cities are next in line.

DXB was next.

If I remember rightly, the Rest of Europe was somewhat further down the planned schedule - although these things do change
Old Dec 18, 10, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Since the shell of all 777 are the same I am not understanding why Worldtrav said the new
XP conversion would be a prototype. They have to remove all the first and business
seats no matter what type of aircraft and then reinstall the new conversion inside the
standard shell.
I believe (but could of course be incorrect) that the difference is in the model type (ER or non ER) and thus the range of the aircraft in nautical miles or km. I think each aircraft type has to be certified when substantial change such as this are done to the interiors.

I'm sure at least one person (or perhaps ten) will correct me if I'm wrong.
Old Dec 18, 10, 8:42 pm

Knock, knock Worldtrav......care to weigh in on my question?
Old Dec 18, 10, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

standard shell.
It is really an FAA issue. They consider it different enough to require a new certification. Fortunately you only need to re-certify the new differences. It still takes longer than the normal conversion though.
Old Dec 19, 10, 12:44 am

Programs: My posts are solely my opinion and do not represent the official position of United Airlines
Originally Posted by roadkit View Post
I wouldn't count on anything. I'm checking flights from IAD to FRA in September 2011, and they are showing the old 3-class configuration for 767 flights.

Shouldn't they have been 100% converted by now, much less in late 2011?
ALL 767s have been converted
Old Dec 19, 10, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by StayUnited View Post
ALL 767s have been converted
Right and so have all 744s except 1 that was recently brought back.

Search this Thread